|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Maturin find when he arrives at Horner's cabin?
(a) Higgins and Horner are in a fist fight.
(b) Horner seems fine.
(c) He is obviously poisoned.
(d) He is still alive.
2. Why does Aubrey push the crew so hard?
(a) Trying to catch up to the Norfolk.
(b) They have been grumbling about mutiny.
(c) They have gotten lazy in port.
(d) Trying to catch up to the Constitution.
3. How long does Surprise sit on the mud bank?
(a) Several hours.
(b) Several days.
(c) A week.
(d) Three weeks.
4. What is nailed to the craft's stem in the boat that rescues Aubrey and Maturin?
(a) Human scalps.
(b) Human scrotums.
(c) Human bones.
(d) Human skulls.
5. To whom does Aubrey turn over Danaë to sail home?
(c) No one.
6. How does Aubrey get updated information about the ship he is chasing?
(a) He is unable to get any recent information.
(b) A British man-o-war is patrolling the area.
(c) There are British whalers in the longboat.
(d) The natives describe a ship that could be the Constitution.
7. What does Aubrey plan to grab to save Maturin?
(a) He does not think that far ahead.
(b) The monkey lines.
(c) The long board being towed behind Surprise.
(d) The rudder.
8. What does Maturin learn about?
(a) The local voodoo customs.
(b) The coca leaf.
(c) The habits of the vampire bat.
(d) The shamen's medical practices.
9. What does Mrs. Horner claim about her husband?
(a) He is having an affair with another wife on the ship.
(b) He is suicidal.
(c) He will kill her if he learns she is pregnant.
(d) He has syphilis.
10. Who are Manu and Taio?
(a) Two men who are kept as virtual slaves on the French frigate.
(b) Two men who rescue Aubrey and Maturin from the women.
(c) Two men who are kept as slaves on the American whaler.
(d) Polynesian women.
11. What does Maturin hear the crew discuss?
(a) Horner has jumped overboard.
(b) Higgins has been thrown overboard.
(c) Horner has beaten up Higgins rather badly.
(d) Higgins has poisoned Horner.
12. Where does Surprise pass that has Maturin and Martin salivating to stop?
(a) The Galapagos Islands.
(b) Nazca Island.
(c) Machu Pichu.
(d) Espanozian Island.
13. When does Surprise meet up with Danaë?
(a) At the same time they spot the Norfolk.
(b) Just a day before they find the Norfolk.
(c) Right after leaving the mouth of the river.
(d) Soon after Mrs. Horner becomes gravely ill.
14. How does Maturin react to what he learns?
(a) He finds the effects of the coca leaf exhilerating and useful.
(b) He studies it to learn about rabies.
(c) He decides to adopt a couple of the shamen's techniques.
(d) He is intrigued by the psychological aspects of voodoo.
15. When does a strange wailing begin?
(a) When Higgins jumps overboard.
(b) When Horner lapses into a coma.
(c) When Higgins shoots himself in the head.
(d) When Horner dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Aubrey believe they might perish?
2. What does Aubrey learn about Danaë?
3. What does Surprise do at Juan Fernandez Island?
4. What takes many days to traverse?
5. Of what does Maturin purchase a large quantity?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)