|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Higgins continue to do?
(a) Preaches his odd religion.
(b) Refuses to treat women.
(c) Gives the crew alcohol.
(d) Practices various forms of chicanery.
2. When does Surprise meet up with Danaë?
(a) Right after leaving the mouth of the river.
(b) Soon after Mrs. Horner becomes gravely ill.
(c) At the same time they spot the Norfolk.
(d) Just a day before they find the Norfolk.
3. When does a strange wailing begin?
(a) When Higgins jumps overboard.
(b) When Higgins shoots himself in the head.
(c) When Horner lapses into a coma.
(d) When Horner dies.
4. Where do the bank-notes come from that are loaded onto Surprise?
(a) The Constitution.
(b) A pirate vessel.
(c) The Norfolk.
(d) The secret compartment.
5. What does Aubrey learn about their prey?
(a) They have encountered a bad storm and are delayed not too far in advance of Surprise.
(b) They are refitting on an island three days sail from Surprise.
(c) Constitution is well ahead of them.
(d) Norfolk is well ahead of them.
6. What does Aubrey do about the Danaë?
(a) Recaptures her.
(b) Recaptures her and executes the pirates.
(c) Countermands the orders.
(d) Executes the mutineers.
7. How do Maturin and Martin spend their days?
(a) Counseling the crew members.
(b) Wining and dining the local women.
(c) Researching a cure for malaria.
(d) Ashore botanizing and hiking.
8. What do the crewmen of the Surprise urge the Whalers to do?
(a) Inappropriate things to amuse the Surprise's crew.
(b) Let their children run freely.
(d) Let them dance with their wives at the music fests.
9. Maturin falls overboard by _____________.
(a) Slipping off the rigging.
(b) Getting caught in the loop of a line and trips.
(c) Trying to catch small animals with a net.
(d) Leaning too far over the bow.
10. What does Aubrey learn about Danaë?
(a) Its crew has mutinied.
(b) It is being sailed with a prize crew from the Norfolk.
(c) It has been captured by pirates.
(d) It has received new orders and will not assist Aubrey.
11. What takes many days to traverse?
(a) The Gulf of Mexico.
(b) The Southern Atlantic.
(c) Cape Horn.
(d) The Pacific rim.
12. What does Maturin tell Mrs. Horner?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) Her husband is not ill physically.
(c) Her husband will always be impotent.
(d) Coca leaves would work as a contraceptive.
13. What is wrong with the whalers who join Surprise's crew?
(a) They have their wives and children and so are protective.
(b) They do not speak much English.
(c) They are not used to that time of ship.
(d) They have a hard time adjusting to military life.
14. Who are Manu and Taio?
(a) Two men who are kept as virtual slaves on the French frigate.
(b) Polynesian women.
(c) Two men who are kept as slaves on the American whaler.
(d) Two men who rescue Aubrey and Maturin from the women.
15. What is the passageway down the river like?
(a) A clear, deep channel.
(c) They do not have to go down the river.
(d) Fast current and gentle bends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is closely acquainted with several powerful local families?
2. What does Maturin hear the crew discuss?
3. What do they learn as the Surprise is about ready?
4. In what condition is the pilot when Surprise is leaving?
5. Who is Hogg?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)