|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Aubrey believe they might perish?
(a) When they see a big storm coming their way.
(b) He never gives up hope.
(c) When they are still swimming and dawn comes.
(d) When they see several shark fins.
2. Who are Manu and Taio?
(a) Polynesian women.
(b) Two men who are kept as slaves on the American whaler.
(c) Two men who rescue Aubrey and Maturin from the women.
(d) Two men who are kept as virtual slaves on the French frigate.
3. Who rescues Aubrey and Maturin?
(a) A French frigate.
(b) A British whaler.
(c) An American whaler.
(d) Some women on an outrigger.
4. What does Maturin respond to Horner?
(a) He did not help Horner's wife abort the baby.
(b) He tried to get Mrs. Horner to talk to her husband.
(c) He did not know Horner was still impotent.
(d) He had no idea Mrs. Horner was pregnant.
5. What does Horner tell Aubrey?
(a) His wife and Hollom will not be returning to the ship.
(b) His wife is going to divoce him.
(c) Hollom is wants to stay with his wife on the island to protect her.
(d) He was jumped by some sailors and detained.
6. What does Horner say when he approaches Maturin?
(a) He needs something to help him sleep.
(b) He knows his wife was pregnant.
(c) He is very sorry to have killed his wife.
(d) He wishes he had stayed back on the island instead of Hollom.
7. How does Surprise get off the mud bank?
(a) She is pulled.
(b) They lighten the ship and wait for the tide to come in.
(c) The crew has to dig her out.
(d) The hole in the hull is repaired and the water is pumped out which allows her to float off it.
8. How long does Surprise sit on the mud bank?
(a) Several days.
(b) Several hours.
(c) A week.
(d) Three weeks.
9. What is Aubrey in a hurry to do?
(a) Get to sea.
(b) Get back to the Mediterranean.
(c) Get a dispatch off to England.
(d) Get back to England and leave his son with his wife.
10. Who is on the verge of death?
(a) Aubrey's son.
(b) Mr. Horner.
(c) Mrs. Horner.
11. What does Surprise encounter and capture?
(a) A British whaler.
(b) An American whaler.
(c) A British Indiaman ship.
(d) A French whaler.
12. What joins Surprise as they are slipping through the islands?
(a) An Indiaman.
(b) A French privateer.
(c) A longboat.
(d) A few native canoes.
13. What does Manu do when a shark appears?
(a) Dives in and kills it with a knife.
(b) Spears it.
(c) Dives in and harpoons it.
(d) Throws an oar at it.
14. What does Aubrey learn about Danaë?
(a) It has received new orders and will not assist Aubrey.
(b) It is being sailed with a prize crew from the Norfolk.
(c) Its crew has mutinied.
(d) It has been captured by pirates.
15. What becomes evident as the days pass?
(a) Maturin is ready to retire and go home to Dianna.
(b) Surprise is extensively damaged.
(c) Hollom has to be fired.
(d) Aubrey's son is dying.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Surprise pass that has Maturin and Martin salivating to stop?
2. Where do the bank-notes come from that are loaded onto Surprise?
3. How do Maturin and Martin spend their days?
4. What takes many days to traverse?
5. What does Mrs. Horner ask of Maturin?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)