|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Maturin bleed the entire crew?
(a) When one of the wives comes down with malaria.
(b) When one man seems to have the plague.
(c) When the ship enters the tropics.
(d) When one man comes down with typhus.
2. Who is Dundas?
(a) A longtime enemy of Aubrey's.
(b) Mrs. Fielding's brother.
(c) Maturin's cousin.
(d) A longtime friend of Aubrey's.
3. How does Sir Ives feel about Aubrey's recent work?
(a) He has no opinion as he has just arrived and taken command.
(b) Thinks Aubrey has been a little lax.
(c) Heartily approves.
(d) Believes Aubrey could have been more thorough.
4. How does Surprise send mail home?
(a) With a Dutch freighter.
(b) With a private British schooner.
(c) With a British man-o-war they meet up with.
(d) With the Indiamen.
5. Why do whaling ships have prominent crow's nests?
(a) To signal other ships that a particular whale is a ship's find.
(b) To balance the ship when a whale carcass is attached.
(c) To facilitate spotting whales.
(d) To be able to bombard the whale from a goodly height.
6. Whom does the crew consider a Jonah?
7. What do Maturin and Martin do after readying for their next assignment?
(a) Research local diseases.
(b) Open a free clinic for a few days.
(c) Catch up on their sleep.
(d) Observe the local flora and fauna.
8. Who recognizes Aubrey and Maturin on the ship the Surprise encounters?
(a) No one.
(b) Some of the officers.
(c) Several of the enlisted crew.
(d) The French captain.
9. What does the crew think Jonah will do?
(a) Hurt them through incompetence.
(b) Bring bad luck on the crew.
(c) Steal from them.
(d) Not perform his share of the work.
10. Whom does Maturin observe trying to flirt with Mrs. Horner?
(b) No one.
11. Why is Martin considered bad luck?
(a) He is red haired.
(b) He is a parson.
(c) He is missing a hand.
(d) He has a peg leg.
12. Why is Nagel lashed?
(a) He is insolent to Hollom.
(b) He is rude to one of the wives on board.
(c) He lies about his duty.
(d) He steals another crew's rations.
13. What is ambergris?
(a) What is gotten when compressing the heart of a whale.
(b) A waxy golden substance found in whale brains.
(c) A waxy golden substance found in whale intestines.
(d) A substance rendered from boiling the blubber.
14. How are whales stripped of their blubber?
(a) In one continuous spiral strip.
(b) They wait until they get to port and the whales are sliced in long strips.
(c) By boiling the carcass whole.
(d) By cutting chunks out of the hide.
15. What request does Maturin make of Aubrey concerning his friend?
(a) To loan him some money.
(b) To bring him on board the Surprise.
(c) To talk to the Captain of the ship where Brierly is presently stationed.
(d) To talk to the Captain of the ship where Jells is presently stationed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What region does the Surprise pass through that is considered difficult?
2. Where is Surprise to meet the HMS Danaë?
3. Who once gave Mrs. Fielding passage aboard his ship?
4. What was the mission when Mr. Allen sailed with Colnett?
5. What is Maturin's position on board the Surprise?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)