|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What request does Maturin make of Aubrey concerning his friend?
(a) To talk to the Captain of the ship where Jells is presently stationed.
(b) To talk to the Captain of the ship where Brierly is presently stationed.
(c) To loan him some money.
(d) To bring him on board the Surprise.
2. What rumors once existed about Mrs. Fielding?
(a) She was having an affair with Aubrey.
(b) She was having an affair with Nelson.
(c) She was a French spy.
(d) She was a British undercover agent.
3. Who has Aubrey eyed in town as a possible romantic partner before he learns her identity?
(a) Mrs. Martin.
(b) Mrs. Horner.
(c) Mrs. Coleman.
(d) Mrs. Fielding.
4. What region does the Surprise pass through that is considered difficult?
(a) The lee side of the West Indies islands.
(b) No area is any more difficult than any other area.
(c) The Bermuda Triangle.
(d) The doldrums.
5. Where is Surprise to meet the HMS Danaë?
(a) Near Newfoundland.
(b) Near Buenos Aires.
(c) Near Boston.
(d) Near Haiti.
6. How were Maturin and Mrs. Fielding rumored to once be associated?
(a) As assassins.
(b) As business partners.
(c) As undercover British spies.
(d) As having an affair.
7. What does Allen discuss at great length?
(a) His dead wife.
(b) Whales and whaling.
(c) The Bermuda Triangle.
(d) The recovery of a pirate vessel full of gold.
8. Who acts as Second Lieutenant?
9. What is running low on the ship?
(c) Fresh fruit.
(d) The water.
10. Why do whaling ships have prominent crow's nests?
(a) To signal other ships that a particular whale is a ship's find.
(b) To balance the ship when a whale carcass is attached.
(c) To be able to bombard the whale from a goodly height.
(d) To facilitate spotting whales.
11. Why is Martin considered bad luck?
(a) He is red haired.
(b) He is a parson.
(c) He has a peg leg.
(d) He is missing a hand.
12. Who agrees to accept a lesser position on Surprise since he has no other options at the time?
(c) Tom Pullings.
13. What good news does Surprise receive?
(a) USS Norfolk is behind schedule.
(b) USS Constitution has been captured.
(c) Dutch merchants are running from the Americans.
(d) French navy lost a huge battle recently.
14. Who is Higgins?
(a) Maturin's nominal assistant.
(b) The cook.
(c) Aubrey's valet.
(d) The third mate.
15. What does Maturin do pro bono?
(a) Sends specimens to the British Naturlist Society.
(b) Gathers intelligence for the British.
(c) Performs surgery for local indigents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey notice as Surprise sails South?
2. Who once gave Mrs. Fielding passage aboard his ship?
3. Who is Mr. Wray?
4. What does Wray constantly work to do?
5. Who recognizes Aubrey and Maturin on the ship the Surprise encounters?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)