|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where is Padeen Coleman?
2. What kind of ship is the Surprise?
(a) A passenger ferry.
(b) A slaver.
(c) A British man-of-war.
(d) A merchant frigate.
3. Who is Higgins?
(a) The third mate.
(b) The cook.
(c) Maturin's nominal assistant.
(d) Aubrey's valet.
4. With whom do the Fieldings meet socially?
5. From where are live eels supposedly removed?
(a) The brains of the crew.
(b) The bilge.
(c) The intestines of the crew.
(d) The grain bags.
6. What is HMS Danaë carrying?
(a) Gold in iron chests.
(b) A hold full of liberated slaves.
(c) A large cache of weapons.
(d) A hold full of coffee.
7. Why does Maturin find Allen's conversation interesting?
(a) He loves natural history.
(b) Maturin once was on a vessel captured by pirates.
(c) Maturin wonders about the claims about the Bermuda Triangle.
(d) His father was a whaler.
8. How does Maturin relax?
(a) Writing poetry.
(b) Running around the poop deck.
(c) Taking laudanum.
(d) Climbing the rigging.
9. What information does Allen have about whales?
(a) Not much.
(c) About their behaviors, species and how much oil they produce.
(d) Mostly folk lore.
10. What island does the Surprise sail past?
(a) None; they are out in the open seas.
11. Who commands Surprise?
(a) Captain Fielding.
(b) Captain Hollom.
(c) Captain Stephen Maturin.
(d) Captain Jack Aubrey.
12. What request does Maturin make of Aubrey concerning his friend?
(a) To talk to the Captain of the ship where Brierly is presently stationed.
(b) To talk to the Captain of the ship where Jells is presently stationed.
(c) To bring him on board the Surprise.
(d) To loan him some money.
13. Where is Surprise docking?
(a) The West Indies.
(c) Near London.
14. What happens to several of Aubrey's officers?
(a) They retire.
(b) They are ill.
(c) They desert.
(d) They are promoted onto other ships.
15. With whom does Surprise rendezvous unexpectedly?
(a) The HMS Dagger.
(b) The USS Constitution.
(c) A French privateer.
(d) Several Indiamen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who recognizes Aubrey and Maturin on the ship the Surprise encounters?
2. When does Maturin bleed the entire crew?
3. Whom does the crew consider a Jonah?
4. What is Midshipman Hollom's situation on Gibraltar?
5. What is Horner's position on board Surprise?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)