|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wray constantly work to do?
(a) Finding new species of plants in the West Indies.
(b) Support Maturin.
(c) Ferret out double spies for British intelligence.
(d) Destroy Maturin.
2. What does Sir Ives say about the USS Norfolk?
(a) It is on a mission to destroy British whalers.
(b) It is prowling the waters of South America.
(c) It is stranded in Greenland.
(d) It is on a mission to enlist France's aid against the British.
3. What is Midshipman Hollom's situation on Gibraltar?
(a) Supervises a refit project for the Celebration.
(b) Works for the Fieldings.
(c) In the brig.
4. Why does Maturin find Allen's conversation interesting?
(a) Maturin once was on a vessel captured by pirates.
(b) His father was a whaler.
(c) Maturin wonders about the claims about the Bermuda Triangle.
(d) He loves natural history.
5. What is ambergris?
(a) What is gotten when compressing the heart of a whale.
(b) A waxy golden substance found in whale brains.
(c) A substance rendered from boiling the blubber.
(d) A waxy golden substance found in whale intestines.
6. What mission is Aubrey given?
(a) To wait in the West Indies for a new assignment.
(b) To return Mr. Wray to London.
(c) To capture or destroy the USS Norfolk.
(d) To dry dock Surprise for new cannons.
7. What is Higgins' skill that Maturin needs?
(a) Herbal doctor.
8. From where is Padeen Coleman?
9. What does Martin say he has been contemplating?
(a) Leaving the Navy.
(c) Settling in the West Indies.
10. What happens to several of Aubrey's officers?
(a) They desert.
(b) They retire.
(c) They are promoted onto other ships.
(d) They are ill.
11. What good news does Surprise receive?
(a) Dutch merchants are running from the Americans.
(b) USS Norfolk is behind schedule.
(c) USS Constitution has been captured.
(d) French navy lost a huge battle recently.
12. Where does Aubrey recruit some dozen of the new sailors on the Surprise?
(a) A penal colony.
(b) Other ships.
(c) The local bars.
(d) An insane asylum.
13. Which two factions of the crew are doing well together?
(a) The old hands and the ex-Defender factions.
(b) All of them seem to be doing well together.
(c) The old hands and those from the lunatic asylum.
(d) The ex-Defender factions and those from the lunatic asylum.
14. Who recognizes Aubrey and Maturin on the ship the Surprise encounters?
(a) Some of the officers.
(b) Several of the enlisted crew.
(c) No one.
(d) The French captain.
15. How does Surprise send mail home?
(a) With the Indiamen.
(b) With a British man-o-war they meet up with.
(c) With a Dutch freighter.
(d) With a private British schooner.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Surprise rendezvous unexpectedly?
2. What does Dundas suggest to Aubrey?
3. What request does Maturin make of Aubrey concerning his friend?
4. With whom do the Fieldings meet socially?
5. What rumors once existed about Mrs. Fielding?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)