|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Midshipman Hollom's situation on Gibraltar?
(a) In the brig.
(b) Supervises a refit project for the Celebration.
(c) Works for the Fieldings.
2. How does Maturin relax?
(a) Running around the poop deck.
(b) Writing poetry.
(c) Climbing the rigging.
(d) Taking laudanum.
3. How does Sir Ives feel about Aubrey's recent work?
(a) Heartily approves.
(b) He has no opinion as he has just arrived and taken command.
(c) Believes Aubrey could have been more thorough.
(d) Thinks Aubrey has been a little lax.
4. Who recognizes Aubrey and Maturin on the ship the Surprise encounters?
(a) Some of the officers.
(b) The French captain.
(c) Several of the enlisted crew.
(d) No one.
5. What does Maturin do with the blood from the crew?
(a) Uses it to create an antidote.
(b) Uses it to catch several large sharks.
(c) Uses it to trap mosquitoes.
(d) Throws it out.
6. Who acts as First Lieutenant?
7. Why does Aubrey need a schoolteacher?
(a) He is ferrying a group of families to the West Indies.
(b) He has no need of a school teacher.
(c) He is bringing two of his sons on board for his next assignment.
(d) He has many young midshipmen.
8. What monumental task must Aubrey undertake?
(a) Handing over command of Surprise.
(b) Planning raids on French enclaves in the Atlantic.
(c) Planning a promotion ceremony.
(d) Preparing Surprise for a long voyage on short notice.
9. What is Horner's position on board Surprise?
(b) Second deck mate.
(c) Cook's mate.
(d) Gunner's mate.
10. What request does Maturin make of Aubrey concerning his friend?
(a) To talk to the Captain of the ship where Jells is presently stationed.
(b) To talk to the Captain of the ship where Brierly is presently stationed.
(c) To loan him some money.
(d) To bring him on board the Surprise.
11. What does Higgins begin to do?
(a) Sleep through his duties.
(b) Come down hard on his crew even when they are doing things correctly.
(c) Give Aubrey wrinkled uniforms.
(d) Practice superstitious mumble-jumbo.
12. What has the Surprise been doing prior to docking here?
(a) Returning the British diplomat to the United States.
(b) Capturing slavers in the West Indies.
(c) Been in dry dock being refitted.
(d) Having a series of adventures in the Mediterranean.
13. How many previous names has Surprise had?
14. How does Surprise send mail home?
(a) With a British man-o-war they meet up with.
(b) With a Dutch freighter.
(c) With the Indiamen.
(d) With a private British schooner.
15. What is Higgins' skill that Maturin needs?
(d) Herbal doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is HMS Danaë carrying?
2. What does Aubrey feel compelled to do concerning Hollom?
3. Who is Higgins?
4. Where is Surprise to meet the HMS Danaë?
5. Who is Dundas?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)