|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 3 and 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What friend does Maturin encounter on shore?
(a) Reverend Mr. Brierly.
(b) Reverend Mr. Martin.
(c) Reverend John Jells.
2. What happens to over half of the whales killed?
(a) They are brought successfully to port.
(b) They are lost and not rendered into oil.
(c) They are eaten by sharks.
(d) They have no oil and are sunk.
3. Why does Maturin find Allen's conversation interesting?
(a) Maturin wonders about the claims about the Bermuda Triangle.
(b) He loves natural history.
(c) Maturin once was on a vessel captured by pirates.
(d) His father was a whaler.
4. What monumental task must Aubrey undertake?
(a) Handing over command of Surprise.
(b) Planning a promotion ceremony.
(c) Preparing Surprise for a long voyage on short notice.
(d) Planning raids on French enclaves in the Atlantic.
5. What region does the Surprise pass through that is considered difficult?
(a) The Bermuda Triangle.
(b) The doldrums.
(c) The lee side of the West Indies islands.
(d) No area is any more difficult than any other area.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aubrey need a schoolteacher?
2. From where are earwigs supposedly removed?
3. Who agrees to accept a lesser position on Surprise since he has no other options at the time?
4. What island does the Surprise sail past?
5. Why do whaling ships have prominent crow's nests?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)