Essay Topic 1
Often in O'Brian's series involving Jack Aubrey, his ship and/or life is saved by extraordinary means. Discuss the following:
1. Research and define the literary term "narrative contrivance."
2. Identify and analyze a time in The Far Side of the World when O'Brian makes free use of the technique of narrative contrivance to save Aubrey and his ship or to set up a subplot.
3. Does the use of narrative contrivance diminish the impact of the plot? The believability of the storyline?
4. Is there any other way O'Brian could have a mixture of suspense and action while at the same time making certain the main characters are not killed?
Essay Topic 2
Captain Jack Aubrey is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in Thirteen Gun Salute and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life...
This section contains 2,317 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)