|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attacks one of the spirit beggars that is in Azaro's home?
2. How many beggars from the road follow Azaro to the bar when he goes inside in Book 7?
3. Where does the man come from that boxes Azaro's father at night by the swamp?
4. After defeating the former robber-turned-boxer, who does Azaro's father fight in his sleep?
5. Who carries Azaro's exhausted father back home after the fight with the man in the white suit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is going on with food in Azaro's home in Book 8?
2. What happens when the eyes and lights come back to watch Azaro's father shadowboxing at night?
3. Why is Madame Koto known as the Queen of the Ghetto Night?
4. What happens when Madame Koto holds an exclusive party with a tent set up near her bar?
5. How are Helen and the beggars connected?
6. How does Azaro's father change after encountering the spirit in his sleep that the priest of the roads helped him fight?
7. The more Azaro's father trains, what happens with the villagers, with food for him and his mother, and with his father?
8. What happens when Azaro's father fights the man in the white suit?
9. What do the beggars that follow Azaro do once they are in the bar?
10. How does Azaro handle the beggars that follow him into the bar in Book 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book One, fire and or rioting have occurred around Azaro. Cite each instance and discuss the implications not only of each occurrence but their combined and individual significance to the story, and to the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Storms are weaved throughout this story. What is the significance of storms to Azaro's spirit world existence and his life among the living?
Essay Topic 3
In Book Five, the spirits try harder to get Azaro back in their world. How do they do this, what does it trigger, and how does it play out?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)