|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Azaro's father decide to train as?
2. How many days does it take Azaro's father to recover from his fight with the boxer that disappeared?
3. Who says "one way or another we are all spies"?
4. On the journey, Azaro and the "guide" come to what place with ever changing colors?
5. After defeating the former robber-turned-boxer, who does Azaro's father fight in his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Helen and the beggars connected?
2. How does the three-headed spirit die, and who kills him?
3. How does Azaro's mother respond to the spirit beggars in their home?
4. How does Azaro's father affect the spirit world while Azaro is withdrawn?
5. How does the rain coming down for two weeks affect Azaro at home and at school?
6. What do the beggars that follow Azaro do once they are in the bar?
7. What does the great river signify on Azaro's journey, and why does he not want to cross it?
8. Why does Madame Koto finally hire a driver for her newly purchased car?
9. Why is Azaro's father so excited when he wakes up in Book 8?
10. What happens when Azaro's father fights the man in the white suit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Book Two, Azaro notices spirits in the bar on several occasions, and at the end of the Book he sees spirits rising up to join the crowd just before they clash with the thugs. What connections are there between incidents that occur immediately before or after Azaro sees spirits in this Book?
Essay Topic 2
In Book One, fire and or rioting have occurred around Azaro. Cite each instance and discuss the implications not only of each occurrence but their combined and individual significance to the story, and to the characters.
Essay Topic 3
In Book Three, Azaro realizes he dislikes Madame Koto for the first time. Why? Also in Book Three, while sitting with Madame Koto after she gets in a rage and throws everyone out of the bar, Azaro concludes that nothing will ever be the same. Discuss this conclusion.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)