|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Azaro tell his parents about the money?
2. What does Koto bring out to the priest that leads the protest in front of her bar?
3. At the end of this story, there is a __________.
4. Whose dreams give the village children nightmares?
5. Who owns the betting shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. The four-headed spirit came to Azaro in different forms. What are they and how does Azaro respond?
2. What happens at the party Azaro's father has for his newly acquired taste for politics?
3. What does the great river signify on Azaro's journey, and why does he not want to cross it?
4. Why does Koto come to Azaro in his sleep, and what happens?
5. Why is Madame Koto known as the Queen of the Ghetto Night?
6. How does the three-headed spirit die, and who kills him?
7. After Azaro's father decides to train as a boxer, what happens to lead Azaro to withdraw into himself?
8. The more Azaro's father trains, what happens with the villagers, with food for him and his mother, and with his father?
9. How does Azaro's father change after encountering the spirit in his sleep that the priest of the roads helped him fight?
10. Why is Azaro's father so excited when he wakes up in Book 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book One, fire and or rioting have occurred around Azaro. Cite each instance and discuss the implications not only of each occurrence but their combined and individual significance to the story, and to the characters.
Essay Topic 2
In this story many incidents occurred involving story characters. Choose any combination of characters and incidents, and after describing each discuss the impact of them on the story.
Essay Topic 3
In Book Five, discuss the rain and its impact on the story, the characters, and their lives.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)