|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Azaro see dripping blood?
2. Where do many of Azaro's friends live that call him to the river?
3. A blind man on the street sees Azaro and chases him to get what so he can see?
4. What becomes entangled in a woman's hair while patronizing Madame Koto's bar?
5. Azaro's family fears the other villagers are angry at them because someone had _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to Azaro when he gets lost in the forest walking home from the bar in Book 1.
2. What happens with the rats after the photographer brings the poison?
3. How is the landlord in the new compound portrayed in this part of the story?
4. When Azaro begins sitting at the bar for Madame Koto, what does he notice about the bar's visitors?
5. Who are the three men in glasses looking for, and what happens when they find where this person works?
6. Why is Azaro's mother not doing well at the market place?
7. Before Azaro is awakened by the photographer returning from the marsh, what is he doing?
8. Why does Azaro call on the wind to punish the man at the construction site, and who is he?
9. How does Azaro's father deal with creditors who come to his home to collect his debt?
10. Why does Madame Koto hang the fetish, and why does she decide to close the bar abruptly on the night she had really good business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Seven after Azaro killed the lizard, his father comes in and says "A man can wander around the planet and still not move an inch. A man can have so much light in his mind and still not see what's right in front of him... A man can carry the world and still not be able to bear the load of his own head." Using examples from the story, discuss how these statements are true in Azaro's father's life.
Essay Topic 2
In Book Five after being beaten by his parents, Azaro withdraws more and more from the world of the living. What does Azaro see on his journey and which people from the world of the living are found on his journey? Which ones affect his journey, and what happens in each instance?
Essay Topic 3
In Book Four there are a lot of changes (with Madame Koto, Azaro, Azaro's father, Azaro's mother, relationships between them and others). Discuss these changes, with examples from the story cited in your response.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)