|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the villagers fear is dead the morning after the violent clash with the thugs?
2. Politicians in a van pass out what to the crowd?
3. As Azaro walks home from the bar through the forest, who does he meet and ask questions of?
4. In the spirit world, what is described as always hungry?
5. Returning home from the bar, Azaro's mother shows him machete marks and __________ on their door.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Azaro's father deal with creditors who come to his home to collect his debt?
2. Why does Azaro no longer like Madame Koto in Book 3?
3. Describe what happens to Azaro when he gets lost in the forest walking home from the bar in Book 1.
4. Who are the three men in glasses looking for, and what happens when they find where this person works?
5. Why does Azaro's father want to fight the new customers in the bar?
6. Why does Azaro's mother think the villagers do not like them anymore?
7. Why does Azaro's father say they would not step foot in the bar again?
8. Why does Azaro call on the wind to punish the man at the construction site, and who is he?
9. Before Azaro is awakened by the photographer returning from the marsh, what is he doing?
10. In Book 4, Azaro visited the bar less and less. Why? When he does visit, what does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Book Two, Azaro notices spirits in the bar on several occasions, and at the end of the Book he sees spirits rising up to join the crowd just before they clash with the thugs. What connections are there between incidents that occur immediately before or after Azaro sees spirits in this Book?
Essay Topic 2
In Book Five after being beaten by his parents, Azaro withdraws more and more from the world of the living. What does Azaro see on his journey and which people from the world of the living are found on his journey? Which ones affect his journey, and what happens in each instance?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think would have happened if Madame Koto was not a part of this story, and if the impact she had on other characters in the story had not occurred? Use specific events from the story where Madame Koto had a direct impact on others.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)