|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Azaro's father argues with Madame Koto's new customers and challenges them to a fight outside, but they do what?
2. After arguing with Azaro's mother, what do the creditors finally take for debt repayment?
3. Even though Azaro's father is working and his mother sells wares, what are they short of at home?
4. Azaro runs from the blind man to the construction site where he sees a pit open up and swallow workers and what man?
5. The politicians in the van are of what party?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Azaro begins sitting at the bar for Madame Koto, what does he notice about the bar's visitors?
2. What does the three-headed spirit want with Azaro when he returns to the bar in Book 4?
3. What happens to Azaro after he runs from the three women?
4. How is the landlord in the new compound portrayed in this part of the story?
5. When Azaro wanders into a building in Book 4, what happens?
6. Why does Madame Koto hang the fetish, and why does she decide to close the bar abruptly on the night she had really good business?
7. What does Azaro notice about his new home in Book 1?
8. What happens with the rats after the photographer brings the poison?
9. What happens the second time Azaro is abducted?
10. In Book 4, Azaro visited the bar less and less. Why? When he does visit, what does he find?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Four there are a lot of changes (with Madame Koto, Azaro, Azaro's father, Azaro's mother, relationships between them and others). Discuss these changes, with examples from the story cited in your response.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout Book Two, Azaro notices spirits in the bar on several occasions, and at the end of the Book he sees spirits rising up to join the crowd just before they clash with the thugs. What connections are there between incidents that occur immediately before or after Azaro sees spirits in this Book?
Essay Topic 3
In Book Five after being beaten by his parents, Azaro withdraws more and more from the world of the living. What does Azaro see on his journey and which people from the world of the living are found on his journey? Which ones affect his journey, and what happens in each instance?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)