|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the police officer's home is on fire, who knocks on the door to get Azaro?
2. Sitting in Madame Koto's bar, Azaro swats flies from his __________.
3. Why do the spirits floating in the crowds chase Azaro?
4. Azaro's mother's screams awaken him and he finds what everywhere?
5. What causes the already vengeful crowd to break into pandemonium?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story about the white man about, and who tells it to Azaro?
2. Chased from the bar in Book 4, what happens to Azaro after he awakens in the forest?
3. Why is Azaro's mother not doing well at the market place?
4. Describe what happens to Azaro when he gets lost in the forest walking home from the bar in Book 1.
5. What happens involving the party of the rich and the villagers?
6. What happens when the creditors come to the house in Azaro's father's absence, and how does he react when he gets home that evening and finds out what they have done?
7. In Book 4, what happens with Azaro's fathers and the prostitutes at Koto's bar?
8. Why does Madame Koto hang the fetish, and why does she decide to close the bar abruptly on the night she had really good business?
9. Why does Azaro want to leave the police officer's home he is taken to after he faints on the street?
10. What happens after the rainy season starts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Book Eight discuss Madame Koto's power, how she gets it, and how she uses it.
Essay Topic 2
In Book Seven after Azaro killed the lizard, his father comes in and says "A man can wander around the planet and still not move an inch. A man can have so much light in his mind and still not see what's right in front of him... A man can carry the world and still not be able to bear the load of his own head." Using examples from the story, discuss how these statements are true in Azaro's father's life.
Essay Topic 3
While Azaro's father is sleeping in Book Eight, Azaro walks in his dreams. Describe what he sees and the perceptions he has, and discuss the impact of this on the story.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)