|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Azaro's father argues with Madame Koto's new customers and challenges them to a fight outside, but they do what?
2. Where do many of Azaro's friends live that call him to the river?
3. Who runs naked in the rain?
4. Azaro's family fears the other villagers are angry at them because someone had _________________.
5. After climbing the tree and putting on the mask again, what does Azaro see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the rats after the photographer brings the poison?
2. Why does Madame Koto hang the fetish, and why does she decide to close the bar abruptly on the night she had really good business?
3. What happens when the creditors come to the house in Azaro's father's absence, and how does he react when he gets home that evening and finds out what they have done?
4. How does Azaro's father affect the spirit world while Azaro is withdrawn?
5. Why is it an enigma to Azaro that this time he is born smiling?
6. Chased from the bar in Book 4, what happens to Azaro after he awakens in the forest?
7. What happens when Azaro's father fights the man in the white suit?
8. When Azaro begins sitting at the bar for Madame Koto, what does he notice about the bar's visitors?
9. Who is Ade, how does Azaro meet him, and what happens when he walks with Azaro in the woods?
10. In Book 4, what happens with Azaro's fathers and the prostitutes at Koto's bar?
Essay Topic 1
In Book One, the story begins with Azaro describing the spirit world's river that became a road. At the end of Book One the story reveals to Azaro that his paternal grandfather was the head priest of the roads. Discuss the magical connections that link this story and its family members.
Essay Topic 2
What is abikus? Compare and contrast Ade and Azaro's life as abikus. Use story details.
Essay Topic 3
In Book Five, the spirits try harder to get Azaro back in their world. How do they do this, what does it trigger, and how does it play out?
This section contains 1,639 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)