|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Waiting for the bar to open, Azaro takes a walk in the forest and notices the forest is what?
2. Which creditor forgives Azaro's father some of his debt?
3. Who do most of the spirits leave with after the celebration?
4. The police officer and his wife have Azaro sit for dinner. Who is also at the table?
5. What becomes entangled in a woman's hair while patronizing Madame Koto's bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story about the white man about, and who tells it to Azaro?
2. Why are the gods angry with Azaro, and what do they do about it while he is on his journey with the three-headed spirit?
3. Why does Koto come to Azaro in his sleep, and what happens?
4. Who are the three men in glasses looking for, and what happens when they find where this person works?
5. How are Helen and the beggars connected?
6. How is the landlord in the new compound portrayed in this part of the story?
7. Why does Azaro no longer like Madame Koto in Book 3?
8. What happens when the eyes and lights come back to watch Azaro's father shadowboxing at night?
9. What happens with Azaro's father after he defeats the Green Leopard, and who does Azaro's mother call to help him?
10. Why is it an enigma to Azaro that this time he is born smiling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Four there are a lot of changes (with Madame Koto, Azaro, Azaro's father, Azaro's mother, relationships between them and others). Discuss these changes, with examples from the story cited in your response.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think would have happened if Madame Koto was not a part of this story, and if the impact she had on other characters in the story had not occurred? Use specific events from the story where Madame Koto had a direct impact on others.
Essay Topic 3
In Book Five after being beaten by his parents, Azaro withdraws more and more from the world of the living. What does Azaro see on his journey and which people from the world of the living are found on his journey? Which ones affect his journey, and what happens in each instance?
This section contains 1,556 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)