|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Azaro's name is changed from what when he awakens from a coffin?
2. In the clearing, a tree grows over what Azaro buries in the forest. What does he bury?
3. After the thugs declare that they will bring Koto more business since she supported them, what do they promise to get her for the bar?
4. After arguing with Azaro's mother, what do the creditors finally take for debt repayment?
5. Sitting in Madame Koto's bar, Azaro swats flies from his __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Azaro wanders into a building in Book 4, what happens?
2. Why does Azaro want to leave the police officer's home he is taken to after he faints on the street?
3. How does the rain coming down for two weeks affect Azaro at home and at school?
4. What does the three-headed spirit want with Azaro when he returns to the bar in Book 4?
5. What happens when the creditors come to the house in Azaro's father's absence, and how does he react when he gets home that evening and finds out what they have done?
6. What happens to Azaro after he runs from the three women?
7. What does Azaro's mother pray for and why is she praying?
8. How does the three-headed spirit die, and who kills him?
9. Why does Madame Koto hang the fetish, and why does she decide to close the bar abruptly on the night she had really good business?
10. Who is Ade, how does Azaro meet him, and what happens when he walks with Azaro in the woods?
Essay Topic 1
In Book One, fire and or rioting have occurred around Azaro. Cite each instance and discuss the implications not only of each occurrence but their combined and individual significance to the story, and to the characters.
Essay Topic 2
In Book Five after being beaten by his parents, Azaro withdraws more and more from the world of the living. What does Azaro see on his journey and which people from the world of the living are found on his journey? Which ones affect his journey, and what happens in each instance?
Essay Topic 3
In Book One, the story begins with Azaro describing the spirit world's river that became a road. At the end of Book One the story reveals to Azaro that his paternal grandfather was the head priest of the roads. Discuss the magical connections that link this story and its family members.
This section contains 1,571 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)