|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do many of Azaro's friends live that call him to the river?
2. Who chases Azaro when he runs from the bar?
3. After the animal is cooked, why do some of the villagers that come for the celebration get angry?
4. The day after cleaning the house from the celebration, with whom does Azaro go to sell wares?
5. Who does Azaro stare at and wish for the wind to punish when he wanders in the woods with the other children?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 4, Azaro visited the bar less and less. Why? When he does visit, what does he find?
2. What happens to Azaro after he runs from the three women?
3. What is the story about the white man about, and who tells it to Azaro?
4. Describe what happens to Azaro when he gets lost in the forest walking home from the bar in Book 1.
5. What vision does Azaro have about the three men in glasses and what does he do about his vision?
6. Why does Azaro's mother think the villagers do not like them anymore?
7. Why does Azaro's father say they would not step foot in the bar again?
8. Chased from the bar in Book 4, what happens to Azaro after he awakens in the forest?
9. Why does Madame Koto hang the fetish, and why does she decide to close the bar abruptly on the night she had really good business?
10. Why is it an enigma to Azaro that this time he is born smiling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Azaro's mom talks to him about seeing a classmate on the road in a nice car, with a driver, who looked a decade younger than her and didn't event recognize her when she sold her some oranges. Throughout the story, not just here in Book Seven, Azaro's mom has lamented her life. Cite several instances of this and discuss how they impact your perception of the story and the characters, specifically Azaro and his father.
Essay Topic 2
In this story many incidents occurred involving story characters. Choose any combination of characters and incidents, and after describing each discuss the impact of them on the story.
Essay Topic 3
In Book Three, Azaro realizes he dislikes Madame Koto for the first time. Why? Also in Book Three, while sitting with Madame Koto after she gets in a rage and throws everyone out of the bar, Azaro concludes that nothing will ever be the same. Discuss this conclusion.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)