|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Returning home from the bar, Azaro's mother shows him machete marks and __________ on their door.
2. Azaro's father argues with Madame Koto's new customers and challenges them to a fight outside, but they do what?
3. Azaro is kidnapped again, this time by two albinos and a woman. Where is he when they kidnap him?
4. A blind man on the street sees Azaro and chases him to get what so he can see?
5. After the thugs declare that they will bring Koto more business since she supported them, what do they promise to get her for the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Azaro after he runs from the three women?
2. Who are the three men in glasses looking for, and what happens when they find where this person works?
3. Why is Azaro's mother not doing well at the market place?
4. Why is it an enigma to Azaro that this time he is born smiling?
5. What happens when the thugs and villagers clash the night Azaro hides in the van?
6. Why does Azaro's mother think the villagers do not like them anymore?
7. When Azaro wanders into a building in Book 4, what happens?
8. How does Azaro's father deal with creditors who come to his home to collect his debt?
9. In Book 4, Azaro visited the bar less and less. Why? When he does visit, what does he find?
10. What happens after the rainy season starts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Book Five after being beaten by his parents, Azaro withdraws more and more from the world of the living. What does Azaro see on his journey and which people from the world of the living are found on his journey? Which ones affect his journey, and what happens in each instance?
Essay Topic 2
In Book Four there are a lot of changes (with Madame Koto, Azaro, Azaro's father, Azaro's mother, relationships between them and others). Discuss these changes, with examples from the story cited in your response.
Essay Topic 3
In Book One, fire and or rioting have occurred around Azaro. Cite each instance and discuss the implications not only of each occurrence but their combined and individual significance to the story, and to the characters.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)