|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Azaro eavesdrop on at the bar?
2. Politicians in a van pass out what to the crowd?
3. Who returns from a hiding place in the swamp, badly beaten, and knocks on the door of Azaro's home?
4. In the bar, who urinates all over the floor and breaks the furniture?
5. Who is born smiling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Azaro's father want to fight the new customers in the bar?
2. According to Azaro's father, what is the story of the King of the Road?
3. What happens involving the party of the rich and the villagers?
4. What happens the second time Azaro is abducted?
5. What vision does Azaro have about the three men in glasses and what does he do about his vision?
6. How does Azaro's father deal with creditors who come to his home to collect his debt?
7. What happens when the creditors come to the house in Azaro's father's absence, and how does he react when he gets home that evening and finds out what they have done?
8. What happens after the rainy season starts?
9. When Azaro wanders into a building in Book 4, what happens?
10. Why does Azaro's father say they would not step foot in the bar again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From Book Eight discuss Madame Koto's power, how she gets it, and how she uses it.
Essay Topic 2
In Book Four there are a lot of changes (with Madame Koto, Azaro, Azaro's father, Azaro's mother, relationships between them and others). Discuss these changes, with examples from the story cited in your response.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think would have happened if Madame Koto was not a part of this story, and if the impact she had on other characters in the story had not occurred? Use specific events from the story where Madame Koto had a direct impact on others.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)