|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Book 4, who curses Madame Koto?
(a) Azaro's mother.
(b) One of the thugs.
(c) Azaro's father.
2. While the police officer's home is on fire, who knocks on the door to get Azaro?
(a) His father.
(b) Madame Koto.
(c) His mother.
(d) His parents.
3. After awakening in the building where he was bathed and fed, Azaro returns to the bar where Madame Koto asks him why he touched her what?
4. After arguing with Azaro's mother, what do the creditors finally take for debt repayment?
5. Azaro's family fears the other villagers are angry at them because someone had _________________.
(a) Thrown a pot of oil through the only window.
(b) Left an animal carcass at their door.
(c) Put out their cooking fire.
(d) Water soaked all their fire wood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is born smiling?
2. Returning home from the bar, Azaro's mother shows him machete marks and __________ on their door.
3. Why do the spirits floating in the crowds chase Azaro?
4. Who owns the bar that Azaro's father takes him to for a drink?
5. As a photographer takes a picture of the celebration, who curiously watches the camera?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the rainy season starts?
2. What does Azaro notice about his new home in Book 1?
3. Why does Madame Koto hang the fetish, and why does she decide to close the bar abruptly on the night she had really good business?
4. In Book 4, Azaro visited the bar less and less. Why? When he does visit, what does he find?
5. Describe what happens to Azaro when he gets lost in the forest walking home from the bar in Book 1.
6. Why is it an enigma to Azaro that this time he is born smiling?
7. Why does Azaro's father say they would not step foot in the bar again?
8. How does Azaro's father deal with creditors who come to his home to collect his debt?
9. When Azaro begins sitting at the bar for Madame Koto, what does he notice about the bar's visitors?
10. Why is Azaro's mother not doing well at the market place?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)