|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Azaro eavesdrop on at the bar?
(a) Male customers.
(b) The women.
(c) Tax collectors.
2. When Azaro wanders further into the city, who does he see carrying bags of salt?
(a) His father.
(b) The thugs.
(c) His uncle.
(d) The landlord.
3. Azaro's father argues with Madame Koto's new customers and challenges them to a fight outside, but they do what?
(a) Left the bar.
(b) Locked him out of the bar.
(c) Ignored his challenge.
(d) Laughed at him.
4. When Azaro refuses to follow the requester into the spirit world, what is he told his spirit friends will send next for him?
(a) A giant.
(b) A serpent.
(c) A four-headed spirit.
(d) A dog.
5. Who displays a crude kind of local newspaper where Azaro sees his celebrated homecoming and the milk riots?
(a) The photographer.
(b) The local newspaper owner.
(c) Madame Koto.
(d) The village crier.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the celebration, when Azaro's father comes home from looking for a job, why does he get angry with Azaro's mother?
2. In the spirit world, what is described as always hungry?
3. Who tells Azaro to follow him to the spirit world?
4. Who tells Azaro a story about white people coming to the land?
5. That night, after Azaro warns the person about the three men in glasses, the thugs and the village people become violent. Where does Azaro hide?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Azaro's father deal with creditors who come to his home to collect his debt?
2. Chased from the bar in Book 4, what happens to Azaro after he awakens in the forest?
3. How is the landlord in the new compound portrayed in this part of the story?
4. What happens to Azaro after he runs from the three women?
5. Why is Azaro's mother not doing well at the market place?
6. Describe what happens to Azaro when he gets lost in the forest walking home from the bar in Book 1.
7. Why does Azaro no longer like Madame Koto in Book 3?
8. Why does Azaro's father want to fight the new customers in the bar?
9. When Azaro wanders into a building in Book 4, what happens?
10. Why does Madame Koto hang the fetish, and why does she decide to close the bar abruptly on the night she had really good business?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)