|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator explain what the two men witnessed when looking out the window?
2. What is the title of the verses Usher composes that the narrator pens in the story?
3. In what was much of the vault beneath the narrator's apartments sheathed?
4. How does the narrator describe the window panes?
5. What does the narrator say is paradoxical about emotions based upon terror?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Roderick say drives him to despair?
2. What does the narrator say about Roderick's face?
3. For what purpose and when was the vault used in previous times?
4. What does the narrator regularly observe Roderick doing after Madeline's death?
5. To what does Roderick say part of his mental state can be traced?
6. Why does the narrator think the house and the family are both called "The House of Usher"?
7. What announcement does Roderick abruptly make one evening?
8. How does Roderick explain his desire to delay the burial of Madeline?
9. According to Roderick, what impact does the sentience of the plants around the House of Usher have on the Usher family?
10. What does the narrator say about African Satyrs and Aepipans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Fall of the House of Usher. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Fall of the House of Usher. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful story and why The Fall of the House of Usher is or is not a successful story based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful story should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
Essay Topic 3
The Fall of the House of Usher belongs to the gothic horror genre.
Define the literary term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the gothic horror genre. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a story? What do you think is the difference between a gothic horror and a historical story or mystery?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)