|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the hero of Trist?
2. What does Usher say about his relationship with his sister?
3. Upon what do the clouds press according to the narrator?
4. What does the hero of Trist find instead of the hermit?
5. What does the narrator say the windows of the House of Usher are like?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what purpose and when was the vault used in previous times?
2. What does Roderick believe he has done to Madeline?
3. Why is the narrator unable to shake off his feelings of uneasiness the night of the storm?
4. How do the men like the book the narrator reads and what surprises the narrator about Roderick's response to the book?
5. How does the narrator describe the vault where they lay Madeline's coffin?
6. How does the narrator react to Roderick's mood after Madeline's death?
7. With what is the narrator impressed concerning Roderick?
8. What does Roderick say in reply to the narrator's comment about how Roderick and Madeline resemble each other?
9. What does the narrator do in response to his feelings of unease and who joins him?
10. What announcement does Roderick abruptly make one evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all stories.
Compare/contrast the characters of Roderick and Lady Madeline. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Roderick and the narrator. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator gives a detailed description of the House of Usher as he first encounters it. The house appears to also symbolize Roderick and Lady Madeline.
What physical descriptions of the house seem to relate to Roderick? What ones seem to relate to Lady Madeline? Use examples from The Fall of the House of Usher to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Poe includes a poem, The Haunted Palace, in the story which he later publishes separately.
Discuss the meaning the poem has to the story. Use examples from The Fall of the House of Usher to support your reasoning.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)