|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Usher prefer his food to be?
2. Who leads the narrator through the house?
3. What does the narrator describe as long and improvised
4. What style were Usher's paintings?
5. What does Usher say he dreads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Roderick's face?
2. For what purpose and when was the vault used in previous times?
3. Who is at the door when it flies open and what does the person do?
4. What does the narrator say about his friendship with Roderick Usher?
5. What does Roderick say in reply to the narrator's comment about how Roderick and Madeline resemble each other?
6. Why is the narrator unable to shake off his feelings of uneasiness the night of the storm?
7. Why does the narrator think the house and the family are both called "The House of Usher"?
8. To what does the narrator attribute the changes in Roderick?
9. How does the narrator describe the vault where Madeline's coffin is temporarily laid to rest?
10. What announcement does Roderick abruptly make one evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define plot and include the definitions of the most important elements of a plot. Do all stories have a plot? Why or why not? Write a brief synopsis of the plot of The Fall of the House of Usher, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot? Give a brief synopsis of any important sub-plots.
Essay Topic 2
Poe wrote in a different era and culture then the present. Some of the language will seem archaic to modern readers.
Do you think a story or story written so long ago is still relevant to today’s readers? What might make The Fall of the House of Usher a timeless story? Use examples from The Fall of the House of Usher to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Poe includes a poem, The Haunted Palace, in the story which he later publishes separately.
Discuss the meaning the poem has to the story. Use examples from The Fall of the House of Usher to support your reasoning.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)