|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what do the clouds press according to the narrator?
(a) The bog and tarn
(b) The turrets of the house
(c) The gates of hell
(d) His own fears
2. Where is the ruler in the early part of the song the narrator records?
(a) On his chariot
(b) On his throne
(c) There is no ruler
(d) Drowned in a river
3. What color is the light coming through the windows?
(a) Rainbow colored
(b) Dark green
(c) Bright blue
4. What is the narrator's response to the sounds?
(a) He laughs
(b) He decides to leave the next morning
(c) He gets up and gets dressed
(d) He prays for guidance
5. To what does the narrator compare his depression of the soul?
(a) The time when his oldest child died
(b) A post-opiate after-dream
(c) The time he learned he had to leave his home that he loved
(d) The time when his wife died
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about Vigiliæ Mortuorum Secundum Chorum Ecclesiæ Maguntinæ?
2. What does the narrator say may have originated in the tarn?
3. What does the narrator say is the cause of his initial impression and feelings as he approaches the House of Usher?
4. How does the narrator describe the window panes?
5. What appalls the narrator when Usher enters the narrator's rooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the narrator unable to shake off his feelings of uneasiness the night of the storm?
2. How does the narrator react to Roderick's mood after Madeline's death?
3. How does the narrator help Roderick regarding Roderick's deceased sister?
4. What does Roderick say in reply to the narrator's comment about how Roderick and Madeline resemble each other?
5. Who does the narrator meet on the stairs and what is the narrator's impression of the person?
6. What changes about Roderick's voice in the days following Madeline's death?
7. What does Roderick seem to vacillate between?
8. How does the narrator attempt to calm Roderick?
9. When does the narrator find he is unable to sleep and upon what does he blame that fact?
10. What does the narrator say about Roderick's usual habits after Madeline dies?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)