|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one way the narrator said he had been prepared for Usher's present state?
(a) By Usher's letter to the narrator
(b) By the doctor, whom the narrator encounters in town before riding to the house of Usher
(c) By gossip among classmates
(d) By a letter penned by Usher's cousin
2. What does Usher admit in a lucid moment concerning his gloomy outlook?
(a) It is probably because he has not gone anywhere for a while
(b) It is probably due to his severe and long-standing illness
(c) It is probably because of his sister's absence for the past several months
(d) It is probably due to the extreme overcast weather of late
3. What does the narrator say is the principal feature of the Usher mansion upon closer inspection?
(b) Ornate gables
(c) Ostentatious detail
(d) Excessive antiquity
4. What is the "grim phantasm"?
(a) The night
(b) A ghost who haunts the House of Usher
5. What does the narrator say about Usher's countenance after Madeline dies?
(a) It is terribly sorrowful
(b) It is more pallid than ever
(c) It starts showing a little more color
(d) It is florid
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the narrator say Usher seems to be listening?
2. What is the source of the lighting in the painting the narrator describes?
3. What does the narrator say is dangerous to Usher?
4. Of what does the narrator suggest the MS. he receives gives evidence?
5. What happens one night when the narrator goes to bed about eight days after Madeline has died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had Roderick written to the narrator to get the narrator to come visit?
2. According to Roderick, what impact does the sentience of the plants around the House of Usher have on the Usher family?
3. What does the narrator say about Madeline's appearance when he looked upon her before they sealed the coffin lid?
4. What is the only instrument Roderick can tolerate hearing?
5. One is one topic of discussion between the narrator and Roderick that arises from the singing of Roderick's song, "The Haunted Palace"?
6. What is the significance of the small volume titled “Directorium Inquisitorium,” by the Dominican Eymeric de Gironne?
7. How does Roderick explain his invitation to a visit by the narrator?
8. What does Roderick seem to vacillate between?
9. What announcement does Roderick abruptly make one evening?
10. What does the narrator say about the decor of the house?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)