|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Usher fear about Madeline?
(a) That she was attacked by demons
(b) That she hated Usher
(c) That she was still alive when put in her coffin
(d) That she was terrified at the moment of her death
2. How does Usher react to bright light?
(a) He likes it for painting
(b) His eyes are tortured by it
(c) He likes it to play with his crystals
(d) He hates it because he can see himself in the mirror
3. What happens to the physical structure of the House of Usher?
(a) It burns down
(b) It is hurled into the heavens
(c) It is left to rot
(d) It sinks into the tarn
4. What does Usher hope to gain from the narrator?
(d) An agreement to marry Usher's sister
5. How does the narrator know Usher is not asleep?
(a) Usher is mumbling to himself
(b) Usher's eyes are wide open
(c) Usher is pacing even though his eyes are closed
(d) Usher is humming
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotion does the narrator say is rapidly increasing as he sits aside his horse and surveys the surroundings?
2. What does Usher try to overcome in the presence of the narrator according to the narrator?
3. What odors does Usher find oppressive?
4. The throngs in the song laugh, but what do they not do anymore?
5. Who does the narrator meet on one of the staircases?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what purpose and when was the vault used in previous times?
2. With what is the narrator impressed concerning Roderick?
3. What does the narrator say about Madeline's appearance when he looked upon her before they sealed the coffin lid?
4. What does the narrator say about his friendship with Roderick Usher?
5. What seems to be happening in "real" time as the narrator reads?
6. How does the narrator respond to Roderick's increasing instability?
7. What do the narrator and Roderick do for one last time before placing Madeline's coffin in the vault?
8. What does the narrator say about African Satyrs and Aepipans?
9. How do the men like the book the narrator reads and what surprises the narrator about Roderick's response to the book?
10. What does the narrator do before actually going inside the House of Usher?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)