|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator believe is odd about Usher's hair?
(a) That it floats around Usher's face rather than lying on the head
(b) That it is now thin and curly when before it had been thick and straight
(c) That it is now the color of Usher's sister's hair
(d) That it is no longer the same color as it was when he and Usher were in school
2. Why does the narrator think he should read out loud to Usher?
(a) To distract the narrator from the moaning sounds
(b) To keep the narrator from dashing outside.
(c) To lighten the narrator's mood
(d) It will have a calming effect
3. What is the narrator doing at the opening of the story?
(a) Writing a letter to his son
(b) Fighting in a duel
(c) Riding on horseback
4. What feelings arise in the narrator while first gazing upon Usher?
(a) Pity and awe
(c) Bitterness and curiosity
5. What spreads over the entire exterior of the mansion?
(a) Streaks of red
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Usher do after shading his lamp's light?
2. What does the narrator see when he looks in Usher's eyes?
3. What does the narrator say he often finds Usher doing?
4. What does Usher believe about plants?
5. What is the weather like that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator say about African Satyrs and Aepipans?
2. One is one topic of discussion between the narrator and Roderick that arises from the singing of Roderick's song, "The Haunted Palace"?
3. Who does the narrator meet on the stairs and what is the narrator's impression of the person?
4. How does the narrator throw off his sense of gloom upon approaching the house?
5. How does the narrator describe the door into the vault where they lay Madeline's coffin?
6. Who is at the door when it flies open and what does the person do?
7. What does the narrator say about Madeline's appearance when he looked upon her before they sealed the coffin lid?
8. What type of struggle is going on within Roderick?
9. How does the narrator respond to Roderick's increasing instability?
10. Where does Roderick's genius as a painter lie?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)