|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style were Usher's paintings?
(b) Religious motifs
2. Why does the narrator think he should read out loud to Usher?
(a) To keep the narrator from dashing outside.
(b) To lighten the narrator's mood
(c) To distract the narrator from the moaning sounds
(d) It will have a calming effect
3. How often is it likely that the narrator will see Madeline in the future?
(a) At least at chapel on Wednesdays and Sundays
(b) Probably daily as she checks on her brother regularly
(c) Probably never again
(d) Probably at the formal dinners every evening
4. What does the narrator think Usher is attempting to find the courage to do after Madeline has been dead for several days?
(a) Ask the narrator to live there permanently
(b) Bury Madeline
(c) Leave his home and travel abroad
(d) Tell the narrator a secret
5. What does the narrator say Usher must not do?
(a) Go outside
(b) Look outside
(c) Go down to his sister's coffin
(d) Go back to his room
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's response to the sounds?
2. At what point in an opium user's habit does Usher sometimes resemble?
3. What about Lady Madeline had baffled her physicians?
4. What is the title of the verses Usher composes that the narrator pens in the story?
5. What color is the light coming through the windows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator think of Roderick's ostensible reason for delaying Madeline's burial?
2. Who is at the door when it flies open and what does the person do?
3. What does the narrator say about Roderick's usual habits after Madeline dies?
4. What is one picture Roderick painted that the narrator describes and says it is not as abstract as the others?
5. Why is the narrator unable to shake off his feelings of uneasiness the night of the storm?
6. What does the narrator say about his friendship with Roderick Usher?
7. How does the narrator react upon first seeing Roderick?
8. Why does the narrator think the house and the family are both called "The House of Usher"?
9. What does the narrator notice Roderick doing as they hear a clanging sound at the same time the book mentions the same such sound?
10. Who does the narrator meet on the stairs and what is the narrator's impression of the person?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)