|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appalls the narrator when Usher enters the narrator's rooms?
(a) Usher's joviality
(b) Usher's desire to enlist the narrator's aid
(c) Usher's recital of a poem that makes no sense
(d) Usher's general demeanor
2. How does the narrator describe the small pond near the house?
(a) Green and tepid
(b) Black and lurid
(c) Clear and cold
(d) Like a mirror
3. Who is the hero of Trist?
4. What color are the tree trunks?
5. Where is the ruler in the early part of the song the narrator records?
(a) On his chariot
(b) On his throne
(c) Drowned in a river
(d) There is no ruler
6. At what point in an opium user's habit does Usher sometimes resemble?
(a) During a time when trying to quit the habit and the user is shaking in delirious confusion
(b) During the initial time of intense excitement just after the user has had some opium
(c) After the drug is worn off and the user has to eat some more
(d) When the drug is almost wore off
7. What does Usher do after shading his lamp's light?
(a) Throws open the casements
(b) Begins reciting poetry
(c) Leans over the lantern and makes a ghastly face
(d) Starts sobbing hysterically
8. What painter does the narrator say paints in too concrete details?
9. How does the narrator describe Usher's demeanor?
(d) Restrained hysteria
10. What is the narrator's response to the sounds?
(a) He gets up and gets dressed
(b) He laughs
(c) He prays for guidance
(d) He decides to leave the next morning
11. What had Usher done as the narrator is reading to him?
(a) Turned Usher's chair to face the door of the chamber
(b) Scratched his own face
(c) Put his head in his hands
(d) Wrapped himself in the sheet from the bed
12. What is the weather like that night?
(a) A full moon and no stars
(c) Mild and clear
(d) A steady drizzle with no wind
13. What is one thing the narrator says Roderick Usher writes about to him?
(a) An upcoming marriage
(b) A legal problem
(c) A problem with his inheritance
(d) Grievous physical illness
14. What does Usher think the sounds in the house are?
(a) The acting out of the storm's fury
(b) All his ancestors coming alive
(c) His sister breaking loose from her coffin
(d) The devil's minions
15. How often is it likely that the narrator will see Madeline in the future?
(a) Probably at the formal dinners every evening
(b) Probably daily as she checks on her brother regularly
(c) Probably never again
(d) At least at chapel on Wednesdays and Sundays
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say about the archway that leads into the hall?
2. Upon what do the clouds press according to the narrator?
3. What does Usher fear about Madeline?
4. How does the narrator describe the clouds?
5. What startles the narrator as he reads one part of Trist?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)