|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Fall of the House of Usher.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing the narrator says Roderick Usher writes about to him?
(a) A problem with his inheritance
(b) An upcoming marriage
(c) A legal problem
(d) Grievous physical illness
2. From where does Usher think he got his malady?
(a) His last trip to India
(b) A bog on the far reaches of the estate
(c) A family evil
(d) A friend who Usher nursed
3. What is the narrator later unable to convey about the time he spent with Usher?
(a) Exactly what the two did during the time
(b) The horror at being trapped with a madman
(c) The ways Madeline continually impinged upon their time
(d) The sorrow at failing to cheer his friend
4. How does the narrator feel when Usher's sister comes through the apartment where Usher and the narrator are?
5. Why does the door to the vault below the narrator's apartments make an unusually sharp, grating sound when it is opened?
(a) It is poorly oiled
(b) It has metal bands that reinforce it and that scrape against the frame
(c) It has swelled and is too tight a fit in the frame
(d) It is immensely heavy
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator note about the mansion's walls?
2. What is Usher carrying as he knocks on the narrator's door?
3. What about the facade of the mansion seems contradictory?
4. What color does the narrator say are the floors in the house of Usher?
5. What appalls the narrator when Usher enters the narrator's rooms?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)