|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Fall of the House of Usher.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the hero finally get into the dwelling?
(c) He doesn't get in
(d) By force
2. How does the narrator describe the clouds?
(a) Thin and wispy
(b) Stacked to the heavens
(c) Dense and low
(d) There were no clouds in sight
3. What does the narrator describe Usher as seeming to pour forth as if it were "an inherent positive quality"?
(a) His fascination with his sister's illness.
(b) Darkness from Usher's mind
(c) The story of his parents' individual deaths
(d) Gossip about their fellow students.
4. How does the narrator describe the small pond near the house?
(a) Like a mirror
(b) Black and lurid
(c) Clear and cold
(d) Green and tepid
5. What happens one night when the narrator goes to bed about eight days after Madeline has died?
(a) The house shakes as if in an earthquake
(b) Usher moans all night
(c) The narrator suffers all night with fits of nervousness
(d) The doors and windows open and close on their own
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Usher announce Madeline's death?
2. How is Usher's skin described?
3. What is a feature of one "phantasmagoric" picture that Usher painted and the narrator describes?
4. What does the narrator say is dangerous to Usher?
5. What spreads over the entire exterior of the mansion?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)