|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Fall of the House of Usher.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Usher say he dreads?
(a) Events in the future
(b) The past being uncovered
(c) His sister suffering because of him
(d) Losing his mind
2. What was the duty of the Echoes in the song?
(a) To sing of the wit and wisdom of their king
(b) To drive the ruler mad
(c) To remind all of the light
(d) To calm the agitated soul
3. What does the narrator believe is odd about Usher's hair?
(a) That it is now the color of Usher's sister's hair
(b) That it is now thin and curly when before it had been thick and straight
(c) That it is no longer the same color as it was when he and Usher were in school
(d) That it floats around Usher's face rather than lying on the head
4. What does the narrator say about Usher after they had placed Madeline's coffin in the vault below the narrator's apartments?
(a) Usher actually smiled a few times
(b) Usher burned all his paintings of Madeline
(c) Usher seemed more at peace
(d) Usher did very little but wander from room to room
5. What does the narrator say is paradoxical about emotions based upon terror?
(a) They seldom are without a humorous side
(b) They are decreased when one chooses to use terror himself
(c) They are increased upon the contemplation of said emotions
(d) They are born of the feelings of goodness
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one word the author uses to describe the furniture?
2. What does the narrator do with his horse?
3. What does the narrator say he could not remake into something better?
4. What is one word the narrator uses to describe the book he picks up to read?
5. In what was much of the vault beneath the narrator's apartments sheathed?
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)