|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Fall of the House of Usher.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Usher announce Madeline's death?
(a) He sings her a dirge
(b) He has the physician tell the narrator
(c) He does not announce it; he lets the narrator learn of it when the narrator goes to visit Madeline
2. How does the narrator describe Usher's overall countenance?
(a) As not easily forgotton
(b) As commonplace
(c) As noble
(d) As unmemorable
3. What does the narrator say is dangerous to Usher?
(a) Standing in the rain
(b) Dwelling too long on Madeline
(c) The outside air
(d) Trying to understand the eerie atmosphere outside
4. How does the narrator explain what the two men witnessed when looking out the window?
(a) The end of all hope
(b) God's vengeance
(c) Satan's hand of evil
(d) Electrical phenomena
5. What does the narrator describe Usher as seeming to pour forth as if it were "an inherent positive quality"?
(a) Gossip about their fellow students.
(b) His fascination with his sister's illness.
(c) Darkness from Usher's mind
(d) The story of his parents' individual deaths
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the door to the vault below the narrator's apartments make an unusually sharp, grating sound when it is opened?
2. How does the narrator describe the clouds?
3. What startles the narrator as he reads one part of Trist?
4. What does the narrator say has occurred nearby?
5. What feelings arise in the narrator while first gazing upon Usher?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)