|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Fall of the House of Usher.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What style were Usher's paintings?
(d) Religious motifs
2. Who wrote the book that the narrator picks up to soothe Usher?
3. What happens to the physical structure of the House of Usher?
(a) It burns down
(b) It sinks into the tarn
(c) It is hurled into the heavens
(d) It is left to rot
4. What does the narrator say he could not remake into something better?
(a) The cast of gloom coming from the House of Usher
(b) His idea of his future employment
(c) The reason he has come to the House of Usher
(d) The prospects of no work
5. How does the narrator say Usher's voice changes after Madeline dies?
(a) He never speaks above a whisper
(b) It assumes a tremulous quaver
(c) It is even more husky than it used to be
(d) It has a lilt to it
Short Answer Questions
1. What feelings arise in the narrator while first gazing upon Usher?
2. What happens to the narrator as he lies in bed the eighth night after Madeline's death?
3. How does the narrator describe the atmosphere of the room?
4. Why does the door to the vault below the narrator's apartments make an unusually sharp, grating sound when it is opened?
5. What does the narrator describe Usher as seeming to pour forth as if it were "an inherent positive quality"?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)