|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Fall of the House of Usher.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the light coming through the windows?
(a) Dark green
(b) Rainbow colored
(c) Bright blue
2. What does the narrator say about Usher after they had placed Madeline's coffin in the vault below the narrator's apartments?
(a) Usher burned all his paintings of Madeline
(b) Usher seemed more at peace
(c) Usher did very little but wander from room to room
(d) Usher actually smiled a few times
3. What is a feature of one "phantasmagoric" picture that Usher painted and the narrator describes?
(a) A demon with Madeline's features confined in chains
(b) A vault of low walls
(c) Many demons feasting
(d) A skeleton swinging from a branch
4. What does Usher try to overcome in the presence of the narrator according to the narrator?
(a) The rancor the two men felt when they last parted
(b) Usher's nervous agitation
(c) The resentment Usher had always held toward the narrator for the narrator's superior mind
(d) The sorrow Usher felt when the narrator's sister rejected his marriage proposal
5. What does Usher offer as an example of his belief about plants?
(a) The grasses in the meadows
(b) The fungus on the walls of the house
(c) The caterpillar's preference for plants
(d) The wild flowers
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator doubt when he studies over Usher's countenance?
2. What happens to the physical structure of the House of Usher?
3. From what does the narrator say his feelings about Usher must arise?
4. At what point in an opium user's habit does Usher sometimes resemble?
5. Why does the narrator think he should read out loud to Usher?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)