|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "The Butte of the Cross" named after?
2. When Powell returned to camp on June 20th, what did the men eat for dinner?
3. What destination ended the survey of the Colorado River Valley?
4. What were the women doing that Powell's party came across on the way to the Grand Canyon?
5. What performance occurred at Walpi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What town did the group reach on September 11th, 1870? What did they do there?
2. What was the primary driving factor in determining length, direction, and location of Powell's second trip exploring the Colorado Valley?
3. Describe the features of Glen Canyon.
4. What marked the end of the exploration of the Colorado River Valley?
5. In Chapter XI, the boats were able to travel faster. Why?
6. After the crew left the Canyon of Desolation, what were the names of the features of the river in Chapter IX?
7. What did the men find on July 29th?
8. Where did Powell party travel after Tusayan?
9. How was the second expedition different from the first?
10. Describe the town of Oraibi.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Powell is noted as the first explorer to go down the Grand Canyon. However, Powell met many Indian tribes who helped him navigate the Colorado River and its canyons. In an essay, analyze the assumption of the American white explorers that they were the first to "discover" parts of the West.
Essay Topic 2
From what point of view is the book told? What advantages and disadvantages does this point of view provide? How might the book be different if told from an alternate point of view?
Essay Topic 3
The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons has many illustrations throughout the book. Analyze the use of illustrations in the book by answering the following questions: How do the illustrations add to or distract from Powell's writing? Why do you think the publisher wanted to include so many illustrations? Do you think the illustrations are realistic depictions of what Powell saw on his trip? How do the pictures correlate with the text around them?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)