|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter XIV, there were two pictures of a dancer holding up a great plumed arrow. In the second picture, what did he do with the arrow?
2. What did Powell view in awe on September 26?
3. How did Powell describe their second guide on September 17th?
4. What was the name of the tower rocks Powell could see while exploring the canyons on September 12?
5. What is Sierra Escalante named after?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the trip through the Canyon of Desolation.
2. In Chapter XIII, how did Powell plan to get over the river?
3. Describe the town of Oraibi.
4. What problems did the group have at Echo Park?
5. In mid July, how many months of rations did they have left? Why?
6. Where did Powell party travel after Tusayan?
7. After the crew left the Canyon of Desolation, what were the names of the features of the river in Chapter IX?
8. What made the crew sick at the beginning of Chapter IX?
9. What did Powell do while out exploring when he saw a storm coming from the south?
10. What evidence of Indians did Powell crew find on the Colorado?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, analyze Powell's motivation for exploring the Colorado River. Was it economic? Political? Social? Essentially, why did Powell want to explore the Colorado? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Along the first trip down the Colorado, three men decide to leave Powell's party. In an essay, examine this scene and analyze the decisions made to stay or leave. What factors played a role in the decision making process? Do you agree with the decision?
Essay Topic 3
Select one member of Powell's team. What strengths did he bring to the team? What liabilities did he bring? What contributions did the person make to the expedition.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)