|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sierra Escalante named after?
2. What item of clothing was Powell saved by when climbing cliffs in Chapter VIII?
3. How did the group cross the dangerous rapids on August 14th?
4. Who did Powell get in a dangerous situation with climbing cliffs in Chapter VIII?
5. What feature of the landscape awed Powell on August 14th?
Short Essay Questions
1. What marked the end of the exploration of the Colorado River Valley?
2. In mid July, how many months of rations did they have left? Why?
3. Describe the trip through the Canyon of Desolation.
4. What form of government did the Zuni have?
5. At the end of Chapter VIII, which member of Powell's party decided not to continue on the journey?
6. After the crew left the Canyon of Desolation, what were the names of the features of the river in Chapter IX?
7. In Chapter XIII, how did Powell plan to get over the river?
8. Describe the town of Oraibi.
9. Where did Powell party travel after Tusayan?
10. Describe the rain ceremony Powell observed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the historical context Powell's expeditions were in. Consider the following areas: social, political, economic, culture, and religious. How did these impact Powell's mission?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Powell's leadership qualities as they relate to his exploration of the Colorado River. What qualified him as a leader? Was he a good leader? Support your answer with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In the introduction, when describing Powell's book, the narrator states, "As a scientific report, it has its weaknesses." In an essay, agree or disagree with this statement. Why?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)