|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task did Powell describe in detail in the beginning of Chapter VII?
2. Who went to retrieve the lost items in the Canyon of Lodore?
3. Approximately how many miles long is the Colorado River?
4. Fill in the following from Chapter II: "The Navajos are ____________ in this country."
5. How long is the Canyon of Lodore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the north-south lines in between the cliffs and plateaus?
2. Describe the Plateau Province.
3. What piece of equipment was lost in the wreck at Disaster Falls and how was it retrieved?
4. How did the group proceed when there were rapids?
5. Which Native American tribes lived in the Colorado River Valley?
6. Describe the group's first day down the river.
7. What are the mesas of the Colorado River Valley?
8. How did the party get through difficult falls?
9. What plateaus represent the boundary of the Plateau Province?
10. What Indian tribes inhabited the Terrace Plateaus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter XII, Powell learned of the importance of the oral tradition among Indians. The stories were usually told by some old man with the help of others, making it more of a theatrical performance. Powell wrote about one of these stories, The So'kus Wai'unats. In an essay, analyze this story and the importance of the oral tradition among Indian people.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, analyze Powell's motivation for exploring the Colorado River. Was it economic? Political? Social? Essentially, why did Powell want to explore the Colorado? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Powell's Colorado River expedition was unique in its purpose: to explore the Colorado and Green Rivers. These expeditions differed from others exploratory missions. How was Powell's exploration different than previous explorers in the same time period? Consider the role the government played, political motivations, purpose, and funding sources.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)