|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the dwellings of the Ute known as?
2. Why did the men stop on May 25th?
3. After the wreck in the Canyon of Lodore, how did the men travel for the next two miles?
4. Which reptile was worshiped as a deity in Chapter III?
5. Besides Powell, how many men went on the journey down the Colorado?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the mesas of the Colorado River Valley?
2. What is the Tewan Plateau?
3. What piece of equipment was lost in the wreck at Disaster Falls and how was it retrieved?
4. What did Powell begin his journey down the Colorado with?
5. Powell took ten men with him on the expedition down the Colorado. Describe one of these men.
6. What is the Mogollon Escarpment?
7. What Indian tribes inhabited the Terrace Plateaus?
8. How did the party get through difficult falls?
9. What are the north-south lines in between the cliffs and plateaus?
10. The group often named places along the river for physical descriptions of the landscape or river. What examples of this are in Chapter VI?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Powell described several Indian tribes that he came across. Choose one of these and write an essay following the GRAPES format about the tribe (Geography, Religion, Achievements, Politics, Economics, and Social Structure).
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter II, Powell described the Navajo Indians, saying they were intruders in this country and that they were uncivilized. What is ironic about this statement? Thoroughly explain your answer using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the historical context Powell's expeditions were in. Consider the following areas: social, political, economic, culture, and religious. How did these impact Powell's mission?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)