|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the men do at night on June 8th?
2. What previously unknown features in the high country did the Colorado River Exploring Expedition discover?
3. What obstacle did the group encounter on June 1st?
4. What kind of geographical feature is the Tavaputs?
5. What color rock is unique to the Plateau Province?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the borders of the Terrace Plateaus?
2. Describe the Plateau Province.
3. What plateaus represent the boundary of the Plateau Province?
4. What are the buttes of the Colorado River Valley?
5. Describe the rivers that feed the Colorado River.
6. Describe the high region of the Colorado River Valley.
7. The group often named places along the river for physical descriptions of the landscape or river. What examples of this are in Chapter VI?
8. Describe the wreck at Disaster Falls.
9. What is important about Fremont's Peak?
10. How did the group proceed when there were rapids?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Powell is noted as the first explorer to go down the Grand Canyon. However, Powell met many Indian tribes who helped him navigate the Colorado River and its canyons. In an essay, analyze the assumption of the American white explorers that they were the first to "discover" parts of the West.
Essay Topic 2
From what point of view is the book told? What advantages and disadvantages does this point of view provide? How might the book be different if told from an alternate point of view?
Essay Topic 3
In the introduction, when describing Powell's book, the narrator states, "As a scientific report, it has its weaknesses." In an essay, agree or disagree with this statement. Why?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)