|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the men find near Henry's Fork?
2. What did Powell discover about estimating slope while in camp on May 31st?
3. Powell compared the Terrace Plateaus to what?
4. When Powell began his journey down the Colorado, how long did they bring rations for?
5. What kind of homes did the Tewan Indians build?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plateaus represent the boundary of the Plateau Province?
2. What are the buttes of the Colorado River Valley?
3. What piece of equipment was lost in the wreck at Disaster Falls and how was it retrieved?
4. What is important about Fremont's Peak?
5. Describe the rivers that feed the Colorado River.
6. What are the north-south lines in between the cliffs and plateaus?
7. Which Native American tribes lived in the Colorado River Valley?
8. The group often named places along the river for physical descriptions of the landscape or river. What examples of this are in Chapter VI?
9. Describe the wreck at Disaster Falls.
10. What did Powell begin his journey down the Colorado with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, analyze Powell's motivation for exploring the Colorado River. Was it economic? Political? Social? Essentially, why did Powell want to explore the Colorado? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Powell's legacy. What is the lasting impact of Powell's expedition and book?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book there are many instances where the group worked together as a team to survive the dangerous rapids. In particular, they worked as a team to get their boats over falls by using lines. Using examples from the text, analyze the importance of teamwork as shown in The Exploration of the of Colorado River and Its Canyons.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)