|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made the men sick in the beginning of Chapter IX?
(b) Dirty water.
(c) Potato tops.
(d) Spoiled meat.
2. What feature of the landscape awed Powell on August 14th?
(a) The height of the canyons.
(b) An outcropping of trees.
(c) The view into the valley.
(d) The sandstone formations.
3. Why might the expedition have to be cut short in Chapter XI?
(a) Food spoilage.
(c) Indian attack.
(d) Loneliness of the crew.
4. After crossing the river, what was the name of the summit they reached?
(a) Hollows Alley.
(b) Rocky Point.
(c) Echo Cliff.
(d) Ring of Fire.
5. What caused anxiety for Powell's party after "Vermilion Cliffs?"
(a) The swift current.
(b) Attack by Indians.
(c) The loss of a mule.
(d) Finding water.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter XIV, there were two pictures of a dancer holding up a great plumed arrow. In the second picture, what did he do with the arrow?
2. What is Sierra Escalante named after?
3. Which of the following was not seen by the crew in Chapter X?
4. When Powell and his party left on October 28, where were they headed?
5. At base camp on September 17th, how did Powell plan on reloading supplies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made the crew sick at the beginning of Chapter IX?
2. Where did Powell party travel after Tusayan?
3. What evidence of Indians did Powell crew find on the Colorado?
4. Powell got into a dangerous situation in Chapter VIII. How did Bradley save him?
5. After the crew left the Canyon of Desolation, what were the names of the features of the river in Chapter IX?
6. Describe the town of Zuni.
7. How many men continued on after September 1st? What did the others do?
8. What town did the group reach on September 11th, 1870? What did they do there?
9. Describe the town of Oraibi.
10. How did Powell use Indians in his 1870 explorations?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)