|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made the men sick in the beginning of Chapter IX?
(a) Potato tops.
(b) Dirty water.
(c) Spoiled meat.
2. What feature of the landscape awed Powell on August 14th?
(a) The view into the valley.
(b) The height of the canyons.
(c) An outcropping of trees.
(d) The sandstone formations.
3. How many men continued on after September 1?
4. How did Powell describe their second guide on September 17th?
(a) Craggy like the moon.
(b) The human pickle.
(c) Stretched leather.
(d) A dried fig.
5. What caused anxiety for Powell's party after "Vermilion Cliffs?"
(a) Finding water.
(b) Attack by Indians.
(c) The loss of a mule.
(d) The swift current.
Short Answer Questions
1. On September 25, what did they camp near?
2. What item of clothing was Powell saved by when climbing cliffs in Chapter VIII?
3. How did Powell know that Indians frequented the place where they slept on June 26th?
4. What destination ended the survey of the Colorado River Valley?
5. How many men left the expedition while in the Grand Canyon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the signals of Indians in the illustrations in Chapter XI?
2. How many men continued on after September 1st? What did the others do?
3. What town did the group reach on September 11th, 1870? What did they do there?
4. After the crew left the Canyon of Desolation, what were the names of the features of the river in Chapter IX?
5. What was the primary driving factor in determining length, direction, and location of Powell's second trip exploring the Colorado Valley?
6. Powell got into a dangerous situation in Chapter VIII. How did Bradley save him?
7. What made the crew sick at the beginning of Chapter IX?
8. What did Powell do while out exploring when he saw a storm coming from the south?
9. In mid July, how many months of rations did they have left? Why?
10. At the end of Chapter VIII, which member of Powell's party decided not to continue on the journey?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)