|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the crew do while stopped on July 18th?
(a) Hunted and fished.
(b) Talked with an Indian chief.
(c) Explored the numerous side canyons.
(d) Played cards.
2. What is the park in Chapter VIII named after?
3. Describe the view of Marble Canyon from Vermillion Cliffs.
(a) Majestic buttes.
(b) A river in a canyon.
(c) Green plateaus.
(d) Forested mountains.
4. What destination ended the survey of the Colorado River Valley?
(a) Fort Sumter.
(b) Fort Stallworth.
(c) Fort Heather.
(d) Fort Wingate.
5. When was the party ready to cross the river by boat?
(a) Ocotber 8.
(b) October 4.
(c) October 12.
(d) September 26.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the barren and lonely canyon the men reach on July 8th?
2. Why did the crew stop for a day on July 18th?
3. What did the men take from the Indian garden they found on August 26th?
4. In the Mormon town of Schunesburg, what did Powell and his party feast on?
5. The crew had an uncomfortable night on July 12th. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. What items were lost in the wreck on July 11th?
2. What town did the group reach on September 11th, 1870? What did they do there?
3. How many men continued on after September 1st? What did the others do?
4. What were the signals of Indians in the illustrations in Chapter XI?
5. What problems did the group have at Echo Park?
6. What made the crew sick at the beginning of Chapter IX?
7. Who did they meet at the end of Chapter VIII?
8. Why did Powell not include a vivid description of the Grand Canyon in Chapter XIII?
9. How did Powell use Indians in his 1870 explorations?
10. Describe the features of Glen Canyon.
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)