|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Powell began his journey down the Colorado, how long did they bring rations for?
(a) 10 months.
(b) 12 months.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 18 months.
2. What was lost in the wreck in the Canyon of Lodore?
3. Which boat was lost for a short time in the rapids near the end of the Canyon of Lodore?
(a) "Kitty Clyde's Sister."
(b) "Emma Dean."
(c) "Maid of the Canyon."
(d) "No Name."
4. What color rock is unique to the Plateau Province?
5. Why did the men stop on May 25th?
(a) To repair one of the boats.
(b) To test out the sexton.
(c) To wash clothes.
(d) To hunt sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Grand River flows through what kind of terrain?
2. How many people could the dwellings of the Ute accommodate?
3. Which border of the Plateau Province is Castle Valley on?
4. What device needed to be repaired on May 27th?
5. What is the name of the highest of the volcanic mountains in Arizona?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the high region of the Colorado River Valley.
2. What is meant by the Indian saying "Water heap catch 'em," in Chapter VI?
3. Describe the Plateau Province.
4. Describe the group's first day down the river.
5. What is the most important salt lake?
6. What Indian tribes inhabited the Terrace Plateaus?
7. What are the borders of the Terrace Plateaus?
8. What did Powell begin his journey down the Colorado with?
9. The group often named places along the river for physical descriptions of the landscape or river. What examples of this are in Chapter VI?
10. What plateaus represent the boundary of the Plateau Province?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)