|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who explored the Kaibab Plateau with Powell?
(a) No one.
(b) Mr. Hamblin.
(c) Mr. Graves.
(d) Captain Bishop.
2. What shape is Bowknot Bend?
(b) Figure eight.
3. What did Powell view in awe on September 26?
(a) The Kaibab Plateau.
(b) Lake Powell.
(c) The Colorado River.
(d) The Grand Canyon.
4. What did the men take from the Indian garden they found on August 26th?
5. How did Powell describe their second guide on September 17th?
(a) A dried fig.
(b) Craggy like the moon.
(c) Stretched leather.
(d) The human pickle.
6. Describe the view of Marble Canyon from Vermillion Cliffs.
(a) A river in a canyon.
(b) Majestic buttes.
(c) Green plateaus.
(d) Forested mountains.
7. What caused anxiety for Powell's party after "Vermilion Cliffs?"
(a) The swift current.
(b) The loss of a mule.
(c) Finding water.
(d) Attack by Indians.
8. Which of the following was not an Indian village the group visited?
9. What town was Powell repulsed with?
10. What is "The Butte of the Cross" named after?
(a) A butte in the shape of a cross.
(b) A rock where the crew prays.
(c) A place where two rivers cross.
(d) A butte with trees on it.
11. What made the men sick in the beginning of Chapter IX?
(a) Spoiled meat.
(c) Potato tops.
(d) Dirty water.
12. What ceremony did Powell witness at one of the Indian villages?
(b) Invocation to the gods for rain.
(c) Burial ritual.
(d) Prayer service in a sweat lodge.
13. What did the group need to build at the beginning of Chapter XIII?
(a) A fort.
(b) A dam.
(c) A flatboat.
(d) A bridge.
14. What was Powell sitting near at the end of Chapter XII?
(a) A teepee.
(b) A cliff.
(c) A grove of trees.
(d) A lake.
15. How did Powell know that Indians frequented the place where they slept on June 26th?
(b) Pieces of pottery.
(c) Woven baskets.
(d) Tent poles lying around.
Short Answer Questions
1. What destination ended the survey of the Colorado River Valley?
2. Which boat took on water during the dangerous rapids on August 14th?
3. How did Powell climb down the canyon from the pinion pines?
4. What did Powell find at Bright Angel River?
5. What item of clothing was Powell saved by when climbing cliffs in Chapter VIII?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)