|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape is Bowknot Bend?
(c) Figure eight.
2. What is "The Butte of the Cross" named after?
(a) A butte in the shape of a cross.
(b) A place where two rivers cross.
(c) A rock where the crew prays.
(d) A butte with trees on it.
3. Which of Powell's men decided to not continue on the journey at the end of Chapter VIII?
4. Near the pinion pines that Powell reached, what difficulty did he face?
(a) Attacked by Indians.
(b) He was temporarily lost.
(d) A downpour of rain.
5. How did Powell describe their second guide on September 17th?
(a) The human pickle.
(b) A dried fig.
(c) Stretched leather.
(d) Craggy like the moon.
6. On July 26th, Powell climbed a canyon and reached pinion pines. What did he collect?
(a) Pine cones.
(c) Pine needles.
(d) Birds nests.
7. How long would the groups' rations last from August 13th?
(a) Ten days.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) One month.
(d) Six weeks.
8. What did the crew find at the mouth of the San Rafael?
9. In the performance by the Indians, what did the young boy ask his mother to do?
(a) Feed him breakfast.
(b) Cut him in two.
(c) Tell him who his father is.
(d) Run to the river.
10. Which of the following was not an Indian village the group visited?
11. What was Powell sitting near at the end of Chapter XII?
(a) A lake.
(b) A cliff.
(c) A grove of trees.
(d) A teepee.
12. What did Powell view in awe on September 26?
(a) The Kaibab Plateau.
(b) The Grand Canyon.
(c) Lake Powell.
(d) The Colorado River.
13. What feature of the landscape awed Powell on August 14th?
(a) The view into the valley.
(b) The height of the canyons.
(c) The sandstone formations.
(d) An outcropping of trees.
14. What did the men take from the Indian garden they found on August 26th?
15. On July 18th, how long did Powell estimate their rations will last?
(a) Four months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused anxiety for Powell's party after "Vermilion Cliffs?"
2. What destination ended the survey of the Colorado River Valley?
3. What performance occurred at Walpi?
4. When Powell returned to camp on June 20th, what did the men eat for dinner?
5. What was the name of the great tower on the cliff after the camp at Rock Spring?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)