|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the source of the Gila River?
(c) New Mexico.
2. The Mogollon Escarpment separates the low desert regions from the ______.
(a) Northern tributary.
(b) Pacific Ocean.
(c) Upper plateau.
(d) Lower plateau.
3. What birds were found in a canyon after Brown's Park?
4. Where do the Wind River, the Green River and the Gros Ventre River begin?
(a) Fremont Peak.
(b) San Juan Peak.
(c) Los Alimos Peak.
(d) Roswell Peak.
5. What feeds the Colorado in the high region during the summer months?
(a) Underground springs.
(b) Rain storms.
(c) Melted snow.
6. What obstacle did the group encounter on June 1st?
(a) An Indian tribe.
(b) Stron rapids.
(d) A waterfall.
7. What kind of geographical feature is the Tavaputs?
(a) A river.
(b) A mesa.
(c) A plateau.
(d) A mountain range.
8. What do the Ute Indians have a wealth of?
(a) Mythic stories.
(b) Pottery pieces.
(c) Written burial accounts.
9. Who camped at the same location in the Canyon of Ladore where Powell's group was at?
(a) Emma's party.
(b) Beth's party.
(c) Ashley's party.
(d) Nicole's party.
10. What did Powell discover about estimating slope while in camp on May 31st?
(a) The slope of a mountain must be seen in profile.
(b) The height of a mountain must be seen from a distance.
(c) The rise of a mountain must be seen from the north.
(d) The topograpy of a plateau is denser than a mesa.
11. What is the height of the escarpment?
(a) 4,000 feet.
(b) 2,000 feet.
(c) 5,000 feet.
(d) 100 feet.
12. The Grand River flows through what kind of terrain?
(a) Meadows and rock formations.
(b) Petroglyphs on cliffs.
(c) Stone dwellings.
(d) Volcanic caves.
13. Which Indian tribes inhabited the area from Fremont's Peak to the UIinta Mountains?
14. Where did the Apache and Navajo Indian tribes live?
(a) The valley of the Gila.
(b) The mountain regions.
(c) The desert portions.
(d) The flood plains.
15. After the wreck in the Canyon of Lodore, how did the men travel for the next two miles?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles were covered between Green River City and Flaming Gorge?
2. What is the cause of the north-south lines in between the cliffs and plateaus in Chapter IV?
3. What canyon after Flaming Gorge is named for its unique shape?
4. Which boat was lost for a short time in the rapids near the end of the Canyon of Lodore?
5. Which of the following is a feature of the Plateau Province?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)