|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal is found in the great timber region of Arizona?
(b) Wild turkey.
2. Approximately how many miles long is the Colorado River?
3. What did Powell discover about estimating slope while in camp on May 31st?
(a) The slope of a mountain must be seen in profile.
(b) The rise of a mountain must be seen from the north.
(c) The topograpy of a plateau is denser than a mesa.
(d) The height of a mountain must be seen from a distance.
4. What kind of geographical feature is the Tavaputs?
(a) A plateau.
(b) A river.
(c) A mesa.
(d) A mountain range.
5. How many miles were covered between Green River City and Flaming Gorge?
6. Which boat got into a dangerous situation in the Canyon of Lodore?
(a) "No Name."
(b) "Emma Briggs."
(c) "Stampede how."
(d) "Lucky duck."
7. What was the name of the pioneer boat?
(a) "Mary Joe."
(b) "Emma Dean."
(c) "Emily Jim."
(d) Beth Riley."
8. Where do the Wind River, the Green River and the Gros Ventre River begin?
(a) Roswell Peak.
(b) San Juan Peak.
(c) Fremont Peak.
(d) Los Alimos Peak.
9. Describe the mood of the men on the morning of May 30th.
10. The northeast side of the Little Colorado can be described as _______.
(a) Rocks, rivers, and peaks.
(b) Tributaries, deserts, and valleys.
(c) Mesas, plateaus, and buttes.
(d) Mountains, canyons, and deserts.
11. When Powell began his journey down the Colorado, how long did they bring rations for?
(a) 10 months.
(b) 18 months.
(c) 15 months.
(d) 12 months.
12. What are the skills of the Zuni Indians?
(a) Hunters and gatherers.
(b) Translators and diplomats.
(c) Potters and weavers.
(d) Priests and healers.
13. How long is the Canyon of Lodore?
(a) 18.2 miles.
(b) 20.75 miles.
(c) 24.33 miles.
(d) 15.5 miles.
14. What is the river like in the Canyon of Lodore?
(b) Fast moving current.
(d) Calm water.
15. Fill in the following: ______ Half Mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task did Powell describe in detail in the beginning of Chapter VII?
2. The Mogollon Escarpment separates the low desert regions from the ______.
3. What was lost in the wreck in the Canyon of Lodore?
4. What is the name of the highest of the volcanic mountains in Arizona?
5. Why did the men stop on May 25th?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)