|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the highest elevation of the high region?
(a) 21,000 feet.
(b) 12,000 feet.
(c) 10,000 feet.
(d) 14,000 feet.
2. How many people could the dwellings of the Ute accommodate?
(a) Over a hundred.
(b) Over a thousand.
(c) Over five hundred.
(d) Approximately fifty.
3. What color were the cliffs Powell explored on May 31st?
4. Where do the Wind River, the Green River and the Gros Ventre River begin?
(a) Roswell Peak.
(b) Los Alimos Peak.
(c) San Juan Peak.
(d) Fremont Peak.
5. Where is the source of the Gila River?
(c) New Mexico.
6. In Chapter IV, east-west cliffs are formed by what?
(a) Differential degradation.
(b) Glacier carving.
7. What is found in Walnut Canyon?
(a) An oasis.
(b) Cliff houses.
(c) Volcanic pools.
(d) Walnut trees.
8. What feeds the Colorado in the high region during the summer months?
(a) Underground springs.
(b) Melted snow.
(c) Rain storms.
9. Who went to retrieve the lost items in the Canyon of Lodore?
(a) Hawkins and Hall.
(c) Sumner and Dunn.
(d) Howland and Goodman.
10. What did Powell find in the Indian dwellings?
(a) Pottery pieces.
11. Which part of the Colorado River is the desert portion?
(a) The western portion.
(b) The eastern portion.
(c) The upper portion.
(d) The lower portion.
12. What did Powell discover about estimating slope while in camp on May 31st?
(a) The rise of a mountain must be seen from the north.
(b) The topograpy of a plateau is denser than a mesa.
(c) The slope of a mountain must be seen in profile.
(d) The height of a mountain must be seen from a distance.
13. What caused dangerous conditions in Flaming Gorge?
(b) Indian tribes.
(c) Wild bears.
(d) Stormy weather.
14. How many rivers flow through the Pink Cliffs?
15. What is the Bill Williams River also known as?
(a) The Gila River.
(b) The Rio Virgen.
(c) The San Juan.
(d) The Rio Grande.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which boat was lost for a short time in the rapids near the end of the Canyon of Lodore?
2. Fill in the following: ______ Half Mile.
3. Powell compared the Terrace Plateaus to what?
4. What animal is found in the great timber region of Arizona?
5. How many miles were covered between Green River City and Flaming Gorge?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)