|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Hong reminded before he leaves Bejing?
2. What do Hong and Chen give two woman sitting near a farmhouse?
3. What is Chen's rank on the next to the last examination?
4. Who gives most of the scholars of the final exam their diplomas?
5. Why is Chen treated differently than the other passengers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is General Ma disappointed about Hong and what does he invite Hong to do?
2. What does Hong do while Chen is studying?
3. Where do the brothers finally stop after the Yellow River plain and where do they stay there?
4. What happens as Hong is with the army about Wang Chih and the outpost where he was held?
5. How does Chen answer the final question on the examination, and why is troubled by it?
6. What does Hong decide to do after Chen takes a position and what does Sun Qi give Hong?
7. How did Chen do on the examination, what is he called and who gives him his diploma?
8. How does Chen finally decide upon a position?
9. What does Chen do that ends his friendship with Yuying and what does she do about it?
10. What happens when Hong visits a fortune teller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of "The Examination" and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why "The Examination" is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The scholars are asked to write on a single question, supposedly composed by the emperor himself. The question is "What does 'good' mean in the social order?" Chen is torn, because his own personal experiences seem to conflict with what he has learned through scholarship. He begins to write about his own experiences from his journey, but changes his mind and composes an essay on what makes a good leader.
1. Why do you think Chen's experience on his journey might conflict with his academic knowledge? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Chen's experiences might be a good answer to the question about good? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. What influence do you think a good leader has on social order? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
At the conclusion of a novel, most readers either consciously or unconsciously engage in processing the book and usually come to a conclusion as to whether they like the book or not. Discuss one of the following:
1. Would you consider "The Examination" a "good" book? An interesting or enlightening book? Why or why not? Use examples to illustrate your stance.
2. What do you think are the elements of an outstanding novel? Analyze one of your favorite novels to see if those elements are present.
3. What are some reasons you might consider a novel a failure? Analyze a novel you think is a failure and see if those elements are in that novel.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)