|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Master Fei Qun visit?
2. Who is Hong observing to decide if the man can be trusted?
3. What does Chen decide about Confucius?
4. Who is Lin Shi?
5. What does Lin Shi refuse to believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Hong find Ye Pan and what does he do before delivering the letter? What does Ye Pan do when he sees Hong?
2. Who has tutored Chen and what type of examinations has he passed at the beginning of the book? What is he now called in China?
3. What has Hong heard about locust, what is his concern and how does Chen respond to that concern?
4. Who visits Chen before he leaves and what does he ask?
5. What do Hong and Chen announce to their father and what is his reaction?
6. What surprises Hong when the boys leave on their journey and how does Chen feel about it?
7. What concerns Hong about Chen while they are staying at Ma's home?
8. Who is suspicious of the brothers, why and what does he intend to do?
9. What does Hong do while Chen is taking his exam?
10. What happens as the brothers leave Ma's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The scholars are asked to write on a single question, supposedly composed by the emperor himself. The question is "What does 'good' mean in the social order?" Chen is torn, because his own personal experiences seem to conflict with what he has learned through scholarship. He begins to write about his own experiences from his journey, but changes his mind and composes an essay on what makes a good leader.
1. Why do you think Chen's experience on his journey might conflict with his academic knowledge? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Chen's experiences might be a good answer to the question about good? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. What influence do you think a good leader has on social order? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "The Examination". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Bosse chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Bosse chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Bosse's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Bosse use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and Lao Chen is no exception. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze situations when Chen demonstrates his prodigious powers intellect. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze Chen's character flaws offering specific examples of these flaws in your discussion.
3. Discuss how you think Chen's admirable traits helped him obtain a high position in the government despite his background as a child. Have his flaws impacted his career at all? Do any of those around him seem to notice these flaws? Who? How does the reader know this?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)