|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the palace examination?
(a) A special exam for nobles.
(b) A special exam for those over 30 years of age.
(c) An exam for those who want to go into politics.
(d) The exam taken by those who pass the municipal exam.
2. How is Hong dressed as he rides to the ceremonial tomb?
(a) As a scholar.
(b) As a pilgrim.
(c) As a Buddhist monk.
(d) As a soldier.
3. Where does Chen rank for the last exam?
(c) At the very top.
4. What does the municipal examination do?
(a) Weeds out all but a few hundred of the best.
(b) Gives them a way to practice.
(c) Lets them know if one understands the government.
(d) Lets them know if one is a good citizen.
5. What do Hong and Chen travel on towards Beijing?
(a) The Yangtze River.
(b) The Great Wall.
(c) The Grand Canal.
(d) A dusty road.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what position is Wei Xi being promoted?
2. Who is Yuying?
3. What does Chen say is the worst thing about his captivity?
4. What kind of format is the final exam?
5. What does Hong do with the letters from Ye Pan and the one from Meng Dafu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Hong taken by the pirates, who does he meet and what does that person tell him?
2. How is Chen feeling when he starts his examination in Beijing and how does he feel at the end of it?
3. How does Chen finally decide upon a position?
4. What happens when Hong goes to deliver his letter from Ye Pan?
5. What happens with Hong after he receives the message from Tang?
6. What does Hong decide to do after Chen takes a position and what does Sun Qi give Hong?
7. How far do the brothers take the Grand Canal, and what are they told at the end of it? What do they decide to do about the information?
8. Where does the boat stop and Chen looks for Meng Dafu? What do the brothers do after that?
9. What does Hong agree to do with Yao, and what does he insist on first? How do the boys carry out Hong's desire?
10. Where does Hong go when he escapes the pirates and who helps him?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)