|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chen decide about Confucius?
(a) He would not sit for these exams.
(b) He would think bribing is acceptable.
(c) He would not pass these exams.
(d) He would not approve of trying to bribe someone.
2. What happens when the ship is traveling on an especially treacherous stretch of the river?
(a) The first mate falls overboard and drowns.
(b) Lin Shi is knocked overboard.
(c) Lin Shi's daughter is knocked overboard.
(d) The ship springs a leak and they have to off load.
3. Why does the Magistrate let the boys go with no punishment?
(a) He receives a letter from the village mayor.
(b) He is convinced Chen is a scholar.
(c) He feels sorry for them since their father is a drunk.
(d) He does not let them go.
4. What does Lin Shi decide Hong and Chen are doing?
(a) Looking for treasure.
(b) Going east to fight Japanese pirates.
(c) Running away from home.
(d) Being adventurous to see the world.
5. How old is Lao Hong?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Daiyun upset with Chen?
2. What does Shen Ding's note to Chen say?
3. To whom does Zhu Tong ask Hong to deliver a letter?
4. In what century is "The Examination" set?
5. What do the boys find when they arrive at Chengdu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is waiting for Chen when he arrives home and who has done it for him?
2. What happens after Chen is shown to his testing cubicle?
3. What concerns Hong about Chen while they are staying at Ma's home?
4. Give a brief description of the two boys, Lao Hong and Lao Chen.
5. What does Zhu Tong as of Hong?
6. What talent does Chen have and at what age does this talent show?
7. Who has tutored Chen and what type of examinations has he passed at the beginning of the book? What is he now called in China?
8. How is the truth of the brothers decided?
9. What does Ye Pan tell Hong when Hong gives him the letter? What does he invite Hong to do?
10. What do Hong and Chen announce to their father and what is his reaction?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)