|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chen need that was difficult to get?
(b) A certification as to his schooling.
(c) A recommendation from someone with a good reputation.
(d) Money to pay for the examination.
2. From where is Chen returning?
(a) From the rice paddies.
(b) From swimming.
(c) From a visit with a scholar.
(d) From the Province capitol.
3. What right does Chen earn?
(a) To wear special robes and a winged cap.
(b) To go to college.
(c) To negotiate his own position with the government.
(d) To teach without schooling.
4. How many times has Shen Ding taken the provincial exam before this time?
5. What does a grocer advise Chen after the second session of exams?
(a) To get a good night's sleep rather than trying to study.
(b) To eat a hardy breakfast before going to the last day of exams.
(c) Not to trust advice from others about passing the exams.
(d) To get his brother to watch his books for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hong promise Fei Qun?
2. How old is Lao Hong?
3. For what did the local schoolmaster resent Chen?
4. What happens when the ship is traveling on an especially treacherous stretch of the river?
5. What happens to exams with poor handwriting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who visits Chen before he leaves and what does he ask?
2. What happens as the brothers leave Ma's home?
3. Who has tutored Chen and what type of examinations has he passed at the beginning of the book? What is he now called in China?
4. What concerns Hong about Chen while they are staying at Ma's home?
5. Who does Hong get to know on the river?
6. What does Ye Pan tell Hong when Hong gives him the letter? What does he invite Hong to do?
7. What does Shen Ding explain to Chen about the grading of the exams?
8. What does Shen Ding advise Chen to do on the last day of the exam, what does Chen decide to do and why?
9. What surprises Hong when the boys leave on their journey and how does Chen feel about it?
10. What did Chen need in order to take the first examination and how did he get it?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)