|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the third son sometimes called?
(a) Third Son.
(b) Just by his given name.
(c) Brother Third.
(d) Three Brother.
2. Where is the person to get the letter living?
3. Who is Gao Shi?
(a) Hong's contact in the White Lotus.
(b) Ding's best friend whose name is on the list.
(c) The prefect of the examiners.
(d) The chief examiner who offers to be Chen's mentor.
4. What is one thing that delights Hong about Chengdu?
(a) The street plays.
(b) The mock sword fights in the streets.
(c) The many temples.
(d) The variety of food for sale.
5. Why does the Magistrate let the boys go with no punishment?
(a) He receives a letter from the village mayor.
(b) He is convinced Chen is a scholar.
(c) He feels sorry for them since their father is a drunk.
(d) He does not let them go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the two boys intend to go there?
2. What happens when the ship is traveling on an especially treacherous stretch of the river?
3. What does Fei Qun ask of the person he visits?
4. What does Hong worry about as he and Chen are walking?
5. What did Lao Chen learn by age four?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Hong heard about locust, what is his concern and how does Chen respond to that concern?
2. Who does Hong get to know on the river?
3. Give a brief description of the two boys, Lao Hong and Lao Chen.
4. What talent does Chen have and at what age does this talent show?
5. What test taker treats the brothers to tea and what does he tell Chen about the examination?
6. From where is Chen returning on a cart and on what is he thinking?
7. What does Zhu Tong as of Hong?
8. Who visits Chen before he leaves and what does he ask?
9. What does Chen promise his father and what is the likelihood of him keeping that promise?
10. Where and with whom do the boys live, and why is their life style less than it should be?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)