|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Lao Hong give some of his prize money to his father?
(a) He hates his father.
(b) He does give some of the prize money to his father.
(c) His father said he does not want the money.
(d) He wants to help his brother with the money.
2. How is Chen traveling?
(a) A cart.
(b) On his family's horse.
(c) On his family's mule.
(d) On foot.
3. Where is the person to get the letter living?
4. Who is Weijun?
(a) A farmer who offers Hong and Chen a place to stay for a night.
(b) Chen's new mentor in Beijing.
(c) A young woman whose father wishes Chen to marry.
(d) Hong's contact in Wuhan.
5. What does Chen need that was difficult to get?
(a) Money to pay for the examination.
(c) A recommendation from someone with a good reputation.
(d) A certification as to his schooling.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hong affected by what happens on the treacherous stretch of the river?
2. What does the magistrate say will happen the next day?
3. Where are Chen and Ding's names on the list that is first posted?
4. Why does Chen stay outside the hall after Ding leaves?
5. Why are Chen and Hong in the custody of the magistrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hong's match turn out?
2. What do Hong and Chen announce to their father and what is his reaction?
3. What test taker treats the brothers to tea and what does he tell Chen about the examination?
4. What has Hong heard about locust, what is his concern and how does Chen respond to that concern?
5. What talent does Chen have and at what age does this talent show?
6. What does Ye Pan tell Hong when Hong gives him the letter? What does he invite Hong to do?
7. Why is Bao angry at Hong and to what does Hong finally agree?
8. What surprises Hong when the boys leave on their journey and how does Chen feel about it?
9. Who does Hong get to know on the river?
10. Give a brief description of the two boys, Lao Hong and Lao Chen.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)