|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chen calm himself as he prepares to take the exam?
(a) By methodically preparing his ink and brushes.
(b) By meditation.
(c) By repeating a mantra.
(d) By pacing.
2. What is Hong told by the spirity of his mother?
(a) He should let Chen make his own destiny.
(b) He should make certain Chen gets to Beijing.
(c) He should return home immediately.
(d) He should return to General Ma.
3. How does Chen feel about his ranking?
(b) Not surprised.
4. How is Hong tortured?
(a) Broken fingers.
(b) Bamboo Shoots.
(c) The Thousand Cuts.
(d) The rack.
5. Who is the highest ranking minister below the emperor?
(a) Yu Fi.
(b) Ni Wang.
(c) Yu Wang.
(d) Ni Fenglin.
6. Why does Chen meet secretly with Yuying?
(a) He does not meet in secret with Yuying.
(b) Because Meng has forbidden any contact with Yuying.
(c) Because Yuying is a wanted man.
(d) Because of Meng's jealousy.
7. What do the two men who corner Hong demand?
(a) His money.
(b) The name of his teacher.
(c) The last question on the examinaiton.
(d) To know what Tang said to him.
8. Why is General Ma disappointed with Hong?
(a) Hong thinks his brother is more important than himself.
(b) Hong could not save Yao.
(c) Hong does not choose to stay with the army.
(d) Hong wants to go back to farming.
9. What do Hong and Chen give two woman sitting near a farmhouse?
(b) A bag of beans.
10. Where does Hong put the letters he has?
(a) Under his hat.
(b) He eats them.
(c) In his boot.
(d) He throws them overboard.
11. To what position is Wei Xi being promoted?
(a) National Magistrate.
(b) Governor of Beijing.
(c) To the Emperor's council.
(d) That of Ni Fenglin.
12. What does the ship do in its next port?
(a) Take on several new passengers.
(b) Take on cargo.
(c) Dry dock to fix a leak.
(d) Change sails.
13. What position does Tang Wangai offer Chen?
(a) Minister of Philosophy.
(b) Governor of his home province.
(c) Secretary of State.
(d) Secretary of Confucius's tomb.
14. What is the palace examination?
(a) The exam taken by those who pass the municipal exam.
(b) A special exam for those over 30 years of age.
(c) An exam for those who want to go into politics.
(d) A special exam for nobles.
15. Why do the two men leave Hong?
(a) They see someone who looks more suspicious.
(b) They can find no note.
(c) He has no money.
(d) They are convinced he is just a monk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hong intend to go when he leaves Beijing?
2. Where is Meng Dafu?
3. What will Hong learn from Tang Wangai at the tomb?
4. What is significant about the town of Qufu?
5. What is Meng's occupation?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)