|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hong shake his walking stick at two men?
(a) They want to rob him for food.
(b) They want Chen's robes.
(c) They are threatening an elderly woman.
(d) They are threatening a young woman.
2. Where does the sailing vessel that Hong and Chen are traveling go?
3. What exam determines the final rankings?
(a) A question and answer session with the top scholars.
(b) The math exam.
(c) The oral exams.
(d) The palace exam.
4. What does Chen say is the worst thing about his captivity?
(a) He had nothing to read.
(b) He was hungry all the time.
(c) He couldn't study for the exam.
(d) He didn't know where Hong was.
5. Where do the brothers go after failing to find Meng Dafu?
6. About what are Hong and Chen warned?
(a) Bandits in the area around Manju.
(b) Traveling through the flooded regions.
(c) The magistrate in Manju.
(d) The treacherous river currents.
7. Who is deemed to be worth a high ransom?
(a) Ye Pan.
(c) The Captain's daughter.
8. Why is Chen treated differently than the other passengers?
(a) His scholar robes.
(b) He is not treated any differently.
(c) He is quite ill.
(d) He is very affable.
9. Where does Hong put the letters he has?
(a) In his boot.
(b) He eats them.
(c) Under his hat.
(d) He throws them overboard.
10. What is the name of Chen's position in the last exam?
11. What do Hong and Chen travel on towards Beijing?
(a) A dusty road.
(b) The Grand Canal.
(c) The Yangtze River.
(d) The Great Wall.
12. What does the White Lotus plan to do concerning Ni Fenglin?
(a) Expose him.
(b) Blackmail him.
(c) Assassinate him.
(d) Get him arrested.
13. Who is impressed by Chen's robes?
(a) The sailors.
(b) No one.
(c) The pirates.
(d) The Captain's daughter.
14. Why is General Ma disappointed with Hong?
(a) Hong wants to go back to farming.
(b) Hong could not save Yao.
(c) Hong does not choose to stay with the army.
(d) Hong thinks his brother is more important than himself.
15. What does Chen think has helped to prepare him for the exam?
(a) His brother's loyalty.
(b) The books he has read in various places.
(c) His travels.
(d) His talks with his master teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who searches the passengers of the boat?
2. How is Hong dressed as he rides to the ceremonial tomb?
3. Why does Chen meet secretly with Yuying?
4. Where does Chen rank for the last exam?
5. What is Hong told by the spirity of his mother?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)