|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hong told by the spirity of his mother?
(a) He should return home immediately.
(b) He should let Chen make his own destiny.
(c) He should make certain Chen gets to Beijing.
(d) He should return to General Ma.
2. What does Yeo do?
(a) Carries mesages for the pirates.
(b) Is in the cavalry.
(c) Studies the sayings of Confucius.
(d) Cooks onboard the sailing vessel.
3. How do Chen and Hong cross the Yellow River?
(a) They are not able to cross it as it is too high.
(b) A rowboat.
4. What is Chen's rank on the next to the last examination?
5. Who is Wei Xi?
(a) The great-grandson of Confusius.
(b) A teacher in Beijing.
(c) The secretary who oversees the mansion and grounds dedicated to Confusius.
(d) The main examiner in Beijing.
6. What will Hong learn from Tang Wangai at the tomb?
(a) The last question on Chen's examination.
(b) Where do find General Ma.
(c) The next secret step in the White Lotus.
(d) Where and when to find Ni Fenglin.
7. Who is Meng Dafu?
(a) Hong's contact in Beijing.
(b) The person Chen is to deliver his letter to in Wuhan.
(c) The captain of the new vessel they board.
(d) Hong's contact in Wuhan.
8. Why is Chen treated differently than the other passengers?
(a) He is not treated any differently.
(b) He is very affable.
(c) He is quite ill.
(d) His scholar robes.
9. Why does Hong say he cannot see Chen as a magistrate?
(a) He believes in democracy.
(b) He knows nothing about the law.
(c) He doesn't believe in the government.
(d) He would be unable to hand out punishments.
10. What kind of format is the final exam?
(a) It is done by short answers.
(b) Very unstructured.
(c) Very precise structure.
(d) It is a multiple choice exam.
11. What does Hong say he will consider?
(a) Helping Chen to find a safe way to Beijing and then returning to Ma.
(b) Carrying dangerous letters to Beijing.
(c) Returning to General Ma and becoming a soldier.
(d) Returning to his village to recruit.
12. Why does Hong decide he can now leave his brother?
(a) Hong is going to get married.
(b) His examinations are finished.
(c) Chen is getting married.
(d) He is old enough to be on his own.
13. Where has Meng Dafu gone?
14. What does Hong do with the letters from Ye Pan and the one from Meng Dafu?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Drops them overboard.
(c) Eats them.
(d) Hides them under his hat.
15. What does the White Lotus plan to do concerning Ni Fenglin?
(a) Blackmail him.
(b) Get him arrested.
(c) Expose him.
(d) Assassinate him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chen think has helped to prepare him for the exam?
2. What is the name of Chen's position in the last exam?
3. Where does the sailing vessel that Hong and Chen are traveling go?
4. How does Chen calm himself as he prepares to take the exam?
5. How does Hong feel while Chen is making up his mind about a position?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)