|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Chen feel about his ranking?
(c) Not surprised.
2. What does the municipal examination do?
(a) Weeds out all but a few hundred of the best.
(b) Lets them know if one is a good citizen.
(c) Gives them a way to practice.
(d) Lets them know if one understands the government.
3. Who does Hong visit before he leaves Beijing?
(a) Sun Qi.
(b) Tang Wangai.
(c) Ni Fenglin.
(d) Ye Pan.
4. Where do Hong and Chen go after stopping in Wuhan?
(b) They stay in Wuhan for more exams.
(c) They return to Chongqing.
(d) They return home.
5. Why do the two men leave Hong?
(a) He has no money.
(b) They are convinced he is just a monk.
(c) They see someone who looks more suspicious.
(d) They can find no note.
6. How does Chen calm himself as he prepares to take the exam?
(a) By methodically preparing his ink and brushes.
(b) By meditation.
(c) By pacing.
(d) By repeating a mantra.
7. What is significant about the town of Qufu?
(a) It is the burial place for the Buddha.
(b) The tomb of Confucius is there.
(c) It is the last town before Beijing.
8. Who is the highest ranking minister below the emperor?
(a) Yu Wang.
(b) Yu Fi.
(c) Ni Fenglin.
(d) Ni Wang.
9. How do Chen and Hong cross the Yellow River?
(a) They are not able to cross it as it is too high.
(b) A rowboat.
10. How is Hong dressed as he rides to the ceremonial tomb?
(a) As a pilgrim.
(b) As a scholar.
(c) As a Buddhist monk.
(d) As a soldier.
11. What do Hong and Chen travel on towards Beijing?
(a) The Grand Canal.
(b) The Great Wall.
(c) The Yangtze River.
(d) A dusty road.
12. Who does Hong visit while Chen is doing his last exam?
(a) Ye Pan.
(b) Ha Wangsi.
13. What position does Tang Wangai offer Chen?
(a) Secretary of Confucius's tomb.
(b) Secretary of State.
(c) Minister of Philosophy.
(d) Governor of his home province.
14. What is Hong told by the spirity of his mother?
(a) He should return to General Ma.
(b) He should let Chen make his own destiny.
(c) He should make certain Chen gets to Beijing.
(d) He should return home immediately.
15. How is Hong tortured?
(a) The Thousand Cuts.
(b) The rack.
(c) Bamboo Shoots.
(d) Broken fingers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do three scholars want to do with Chen?
2. What do Hong and Chen give two woman sitting near a farmhouse?
3. Who is Yao?
4. What does the ship do in its next port?
5. What does the White Lotus plan to do concerning Ni Fenglin?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)