|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Hong after Chen is taken away?
(a) He slips overboard and hides while hanging on the ladder.
(b) He is knocked unconscious.
(d) He is tied up.
2. Where do the brothers go after failing to find Meng Dafu?
3. How does Chen calm himself as he prepares to take the exam?
(a) By repeating a mantra.
(b) By methodically preparing his ink and brushes.
(c) By meditation.
(d) By pacing.
4. Of what is Hong reminded before he leaves Bejing?
(a) The secret rites of White Lotus.
(b) His duty to White Lotus.
(d) His part in the assassination.
5. Why do Hong and Chen pour rice on the doorstep of a house?
(a) As a peace offering.
(b) To keep the evil spirits inside.
(c) To feed several young children.
(d) To keep the men inside from stealing from the women.
6. Why does Hong say he cannot see Chen as a magistrate?
(a) He believes in democracy.
(b) He knows nothing about the law.
(c) He would be unable to hand out punishments.
(d) He doesn't believe in the government.
7. What is the name of the torture Hong endures?
(a) He is not tortured.
(b) The rack.
(c) The Thousand Cuts.
(d) The bamboo shoots.
8. How does Hong feel while Chen is making up his mind about a position?
9. What does Yao advise Hong?
(a) To give the letters to the pirates.
(b) To cooperate with the pirates.
(c) To try to escape since he'll be killed anyway.
10. Who is Meng Dafu?
(a) The magistrate in Wuhan.
(b) Chen's newest teacher.
(c) Hong's contact in the White Lotus in Beijing.
(d) The person to whom Chen is to deliver a letter.
11. What do Hong and Chen give two woman sitting near a farmhouse?
(a) A bag of beans.
12. Who is Sun Qi?
(a) A servant to Wei Xi.
(b) A scholar there to take the examination.
(c) A magister.
(d) A Red Horseman.
13. Why do the two men leave Hong?
(a) He has no money.
(b) They can find no note.
(c) They are convinced he is just a monk.
(d) They see someone who looks more suspicious.
14. What is Chen's rank on the next to the last examination?
15. Where does Hong put the letters he has?
(a) Under his hat.
(b) In his boot.
(c) He throws them overboard.
(d) He eats them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hong dressed as he rides to the ceremonial tomb?
2. What is Chen offered after his examinations?
3. Why is General Ma disappointed with Hong?
4. Who searches the passengers of the boat?
5. Who does Hong visit before he leaves Beijing?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)