|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the White Lotus plan to do concerning Ni Fenglin?
(a) Expose him.
(b) Get him arrested.
(c) Assassinate him.
(d) Blackmail him.
2. What do Hong and Chen give two woman sitting near a farmhouse?
(a) A bag of beans.
3. Where do Hong and Chen go after stopping in Wuhan?
(a) They return home.
(c) They stay in Wuhan for more exams.
(d) They return to Chongqing.
4. Why do Hong and Chen leave in haste for Beijing?
(a) The exams have been moved up.
(b) The river is flooded and it will be slow going.
(c) Meng wishes them to take a letter that needs to arrive quickly.
(d) Yuying takes offense and tells her father.
5. Why do the two men leave Hong?
(a) They can find no note.
(b) He has no money.
(c) They are convinced he is just a monk.
(d) They see someone who looks more suspicious.
6. How does Hong explain his choice to General Ma?
(a) That Hong wishes to see Beijing before anything else.
(b) That Hong wishes to become a sailor.
(c) That Hong has to help Chen get to Beijing.
(d) That Hong owes his father to return to the village.
7. How many parts does the exam in Beijing have?
8. Who is impressed by Chen's robes?
(a) The Captain's daughter.
(b) No one.
(c) The sailors.
(d) The pirates.
9. Where are Hong and Chen housed in Beijing?
(a) A small inn near the edge of the city.
(b) An old widow's home.
(c) In a tent in a field outside of the city.
(d) A village with other scholars.
10. To what position is Wei Xi being promoted?
(a) To the Emperor's council.
(b) National Magistrate.
(c) Governor of Beijing.
(d) That of Ni Fenglin.
11. Who does Hong visit before he leaves Beijing?
(a) Ye Pan.
(b) Tang Wangai.
(c) Ni Fenglin.
(d) Sun Qi.
12. What do the two men who corner Hong demand?
(a) The last question on the examinaiton.
(b) The name of his teacher.
(c) His money.
(d) To know what Tang said to him.
13. How is Hong tortured?
(a) Bamboo Shoots.
(b) Broken fingers.
(c) The rack.
(d) The Thousand Cuts.
14. Who is Yao?
(a) A boy Hong shares confinement with at the pirate camp.
(b) The cabin boy on the sailing vessel.
(c) A soldier in the Emperor's army.
(d) Another scholar Hong and Chen encounter.
15. Where does Hong intend to go when he leaves Beijing?
(a) Back to his home village.
(b) To find Yao.
(c) To see Ye Pan.
(d) To General Ma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Hong's money?
2. What happens after the boat leaves the port where it takes on some cargo?
3. What does Hong say he will consider?
4. What is the name of Chen's position in the last exam?
5. Why does Hong shake his walking stick at two men?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)