|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Fire Star and Dragon Legs?
(a) It is not mentioned who they are.
(b) Two cats that live with Lao Hong.
(c) Lao Hong's crickets.
(d) Characters in a book Lao Hong has read 5 times.
2. Who does Master Fei Qun visit?
3. What does Lin Shi decide Hong and Chen are doing?
(a) Running away from home.
(b) Looking for treasure.
(c) Being adventurous to see the world.
(d) Going east to fight Japanese pirates.
4. What does the magistrate not believe?
(a) That Hong is a scholar.
(b) That Chen is a scholar.
(c) That Hong is a soldier.
(d) That the boys are going to Beijing.
5. What has Meng agreed to do?
(a) Stay with Lao Chen's father when Lao Chen leaves the village.
(b) Take care of Lao Chen's grandmother.
(c) Stake a large prize in a cricket fighting contest.
6. Who is Lin Shi?
(a) Chen's mentor's father.
(b) An old merchant who has traveled the river for years.
(c) Hong's contact in the White Lotus in Chongqing.
(d) The captain of the sailing vessel.
7. What does a grocer advise Chen after the second session of exams?
(a) To get a good night's sleep rather than trying to study.
(b) To get his brother to watch his books for him.
(c) Not to trust advice from others about passing the exams.
(d) To eat a hardy breakfast before going to the last day of exams.
8. What right does Chen earn?
(a) To teach without schooling.
(b) To wear special robes and a winged cap.
(c) To go to college.
(d) To negotiate his own position with the government.
9. For what did the local schoolmaster resent Chen?
(a) His effortless intelligence.
(b) The attention he garnered in Chengdu.
(c) His priviledged position in the village.
(d) His popularity with the other students.
10. Who is Wujiang?
(a) An affluent boy who Lao Hong knows.
(b) Lao Chen's cousin.
(c) Lao Hong's best friend.
(d) The village teacher.
11. What practice has Daiyun undergone?
(b) Feet binding.
(c) Rites promising her to the temple as a servant.
(d) Hand sculpting.
12. To whom does Zhu Tong speak as an equal?
13. Who is Bao?
(a) Chen's older sister.
(b) Chen's grandmother.
(c) Chen's neighbor.
(d) Chen's youngest sister.
14. Who is Ye Pan?
(a) The man who is sharing Hong and Chen's quarters.
(b) The man to whom Hong must deliver a letter.
(c) The official overseeing the exams.
(d) A puppeteer Hong meets.
15. How is Hong affected by what happens on the treacherous stretch of the river?
(a) He is deeply grieved.
(b) He gets depressed.
(c) He does not seem affected.
(d) He is excited about a new adventure as they off load.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Landlord Ma offer in order to convince Chen to marry his daughter?
2. What does Lin Shi refuse to believe?
3. Why do the two boys intend to go there?
4. What is one thing that delights Hong about Chengdu?
5. What is one of the dangers of the river?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)