|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of the dangers of the river?
2. Where are the highest government exams taken?
(a) In the largest city of a designated area.
(b) In each province Capitol.
(c) In one's own hometown.
(d) The imperial palace in Beijing.
3. Why is Daiyun upset with Chen?
(a) For going off with Hong and not promising her a present.
(b) For leaving the village.
(c) For not asking her to accompany him.
(d) For not asking her to marry him.
4. How is Hong affected by what happens on the treacherous stretch of the river?
(a) He gets depressed.
(b) He does not seem affected.
(c) He is deeply grieved.
(d) He is excited about a new adventure as they off load.
5. Why does Chen accede to his school master's request?
(a) He is paid to do so.
(c) He does not agree.
(d) Hong convinces him to do so.
6. What does Chen need that was difficult to get?
(a) Money to pay for the examination.
(b) A recommendation from someone with a good reputation.
(d) A certification as to his schooling.
7. What is Hong doing while Chen participates in the banquet ceremonies?
(a) He is in the audience watching proudly.
(b) He is inducted into the White Lotus.
(c) He is on his way home to take the good news to their village.
(d) He is at a young woman's house whom he wishes to marry.
8. What is Shen Ding's reply?
(a) His family is comfortable but not rich.
(b) He will take up his father's business.
(c) He wants to marry but not for years.
(d) Of course not.
9. What does Fei Qun ask of the person he visits?
(a) To take a letter with him.
(b) Nothing; he's just saying goodbye.
(c) To talk to Bao about marriage.
(d) To apprentice to him as the next school master.
10. Who is Ye Pan?
(a) A puppeteer Hong meets.
(b) The official overseeing the exams.
(c) The man to whom Hong must deliver a letter.
(d) The man who is sharing Hong and Chen's quarters.
11. What is the group that is committed to avenging social injustice?
(a) The White Lotus.
(b) The Lapi.
(c) The Ninjas.
(d) The Purple Rose.
12. What does Shen Ding's note to Chen say?
(a) He does not leave a note.
(b) He wants Chen to write him.
(c) It says Ding thinks Chen cheated.
(d) An apology.
13. Why did Chen go to from where he is returning?
(a) He went there to register.
(b) A scholar in a nearby town summons him.
(c) He works half a day to earn money to take exams.
(d) He is learning to swim.
14. Who is Wujiang?
(a) Lao Hong's best friend.
(b) An affluent boy who Lao Hong knows.
(c) Lao Chen's cousin.
(d) The village teacher.
15. Why is each exam copied by a scribe before being given to the examiners?
(a) So there is no chance of bias.
(b) So the examiners do no have to struggle to read poor handwriting.
(c) They are not copied.
(d) So they have a copy of each exam for the library.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that delights Hong about Chengdu?
2. How is Chen traveling?
3. What does Lin Shi decide Hong and Chen are doing?
4. What do Hong and Lu think is unlikely?
5. Where do Chen and Hong tell Lao Lu they intend to go?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)