|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ye Pan give Hong before Hong leaves?
2. How is Hong affected by what happens on the treacherous stretch of the river?
(a) He does not seem affected.
(b) He is deeply grieved.
(c) He is excited about a new adventure as they off load.
(d) He gets depressed.
3. To whom does Zhu Tong speak as an equal?
4. What does Hong learn about Ye Pan?
(a) He makes his own puppets.
(b) He passed the exams at the top of his class.
(c) He is a barber.
(d) He lives very near their own village.
5. What people are banned from taking the exam again forever?
(a) Those who scored more than two levels below the mminimum level.
(b) Those who did not complete the entire exam.
(c) Those who scored below the minimum level.
(d) Those who tried to bribe the examiners.
6. How old is Lao Hong?
7. What did Lao Chen learn by age four?
(a) To play the guzheng.
(b) To write perfect haiku.
(c) To play the ruan.
(d) More Chinese characters than most adults ever learn.
8. With what does Lao Chen show a remarkable ability when very young?
(a) With growing flowers.
(b) With poetry.
(c) With music.
(d) With languages.
9. In what province do Lao Chen and Lao Hong live?
10. What is one thing that delights Hong about Chengdu?
(a) The many temples.
(b) The street plays.
(c) The mock sword fights in the streets.
(d) The variety of food for sale.
11. Why do the two boys intend to go there?
(a) To find a bride for their younger sister.
(b) To find a bride for Chen.
(c) So Chen can take the provincial exams.
(d) To light candles for their mother in the temple.
12. What is the third son sometimes called?
(a) Three Brother.
(b) Third Son.
(c) Brother Third.
(d) Just by his given name.
13. What is Hong doing while Chen participates in the banquet ceremonies?
(a) He is in the audience watching proudly.
(b) He is on his way home to take the good news to their village.
(c) He is inducted into the White Lotus.
(d) He is at a young woman's house whom he wishes to marry.
14. What does Chen need that was difficult to get?
(b) Money to pay for the examination.
(c) A certification as to his schooling.
(d) A recommendation from someone with a good reputation.
15. What do the boys find when they arrive at Chengdu?
(a) There is no one at the gates.
(b) The soldiers are not allowing anyone else in until the next day.
(c) A long line.
(d) The city is closed due to a plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hong promise Fei Qun?
2. What does the magistrate say will happen the next day?
3. Who does Master Fei Qun visit?
4. Where is the person to get the letter living?
5. What does Landlord Ma do when he gets upset with Chen?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)