|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the two boys intend to go there?
(a) To find a bride for Chen.
(b) So Chen can take the provincial exams.
(c) To find a bride for their younger sister.
(d) To light candles for their mother in the temple.
2. Why is Lu angry?
(a) He believes he is being deserted.
(b) He was insulted by his brother.
(c) He has been reprimanded by the local Samurai.
(d) He has no money to buy alcohol.
3. Why is each exam copied by a scribe before being given to the examiners?
(a) So there is no chance of bias.
(b) They are not copied.
(c) So they have a copy of each exam for the library.
(d) So the examiners do no have to struggle to read poor handwriting.
4. What is one thing that delights Hong about Chengdu?
(a) The variety of food for sale.
(b) The many temples.
(c) The street plays.
(d) The mock sword fights in the streets.
5. What does Chen apply to do in Tianquan?
(a) Go to a school there.
(b) Work with a potter.
(c) Study with a calligrapher.
(d) Apply to take the district exams.
6. To whom does Zhu Tong ask Hong to deliver a letter?
7. For what does Ye Pan praise Hong?
(a) His observation skills.
(b) His brother's scores.
(c) His wits and courage.
(d) His trustworthiness.
8. What does the magistrate not believe?
(a) That Hong is a soldier.
(b) That Hong is a scholar.
(c) That Chen is a scholar.
(d) That the boys are going to Beijing.
9. What do the boys find when they arrive at Chengdu?
(a) A long line.
(b) The city is closed due to a plague.
(c) There is no one at the gates.
(d) The soldiers are not allowing anyone else in until the next day.
10. What does Landlord Ma offer in order to convince Chen to marry his daughter?
(a) Access to a huge library.
11. What does the Magistrate decide to do to find out if the boys are who they say?
(a) Quiz Chen.
(b) Torture Chen.
(c) Torture Hong.
(d) Search their belongings.
12. What right does Chen earn?
(a) To negotiate his own position with the government.
(b) To go to college.
(c) To teach without schooling.
(d) To wear special robes and a winged cap.
13. Why is Daiyun upset with Chen?
(a) For not asking her to accompany him.
(b) For not asking her to marry him.
(c) For going off with Hong and not promising her a present.
(d) For leaving the village.
14. Why are Chen and Hong in the custody of the magistrate?
(a) He thinks the letter Hong is carrying is about treason.
(b) He thinks the letter Chen is carrying is about treason.
(c) He is suspicious of Chen being a charlaton.
(d) Someone said the boys were taking rice out of the paddies.
15. Why did Chen go to from where he is returning?
(a) A scholar in a nearby town summons him.
(b) He went there to register.
(c) He works half a day to earn money to take exams.
(d) He is learning to swim.
Short Answer Questions
1. What people are banned from taking the exam again forever?
2. What are Hong and Chen doing at the opening to this section?
3. What does Chen worry about concerning the customs officers?
4. What nickname has Lao Chen earned?
5. What does the magistrate say will happen the next day?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)