|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fei Qun ask of the person he visits?
(a) To talk to Bao about marriage.
(b) Nothing; he's just saying goodbye.
(c) To apprentice to him as the next school master.
(d) To take a letter with him.
2. What does Hong promise Fei Qun?
(a) To make sure Chen arrives at the examination on time.
(b) To make Chen write down his schedule.
(c) To make Chen study several hours every night.
(d) To personally deliver a letter.
3. Which exams are given passing marks?
(a) Only ten percent are allowed to be given passing marks.
(b) Those judged to be the best.
(c) Any that meet one level above minimum qualifications.
(d) Any that meet the minimum qualifications.
4. Why is Daiyun upset with Chen?
(a) For going off with Hong and not promising her a present.
(b) For not asking her to marry him.
(c) For leaving the village.
(d) For not asking her to accompany him.
5. What does Chen need that was difficult to get?
(a) A certification as to his schooling.
(b) A recommendation from someone with a good reputation.
(c) Money to pay for the examination.
6. How has Lao Chen's father lost his money?
(a) He never had much money.
(b) Drinking and gambling.
(c) His second wife's family.
(d) Bad crops several years in a row.
7. What is the relation between Lao Hong and Lao Chen?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They are brother and sister.
(c) They are best friends.
(d) They are brothers.
8. What is Hong doing while Chen participates in the banquet ceremonies?
(a) He is inducted into the White Lotus.
(b) He is at a young woman's house whom he wishes to marry.
(c) He is on his way home to take the good news to their village.
(d) He is in the audience watching proudly.
9. Who is Zhu Tong?
(a) The schoolmaster in the village.
(b) A retired soldier.
(c) The provincial manager.
(d) A retired monk.
10. Why did Chen go to from where he is returning?
(a) He is learning to swim.
(b) He went there to register.
(c) A scholar in a nearby town summons him.
(d) He works half a day to earn money to take exams.
11. Where is Chongquing?
(a) On the Yellow River.
(b) On the Jialing River.
(c) On the Wanquan River.
(d) On the Yangtze River.
12. Why are the examinees searched?
(a) To see if they are male.
(b) To see if they are carrying any more ink than they are allowed.
(c) To make sure they are carrying any bribe money.
(d) For cheating materials.
13. What does the Magistrate decide to do to find out if the boys are who they say?
(a) Quiz Chen.
(b) Torture Chen.
(c) Torture Hong.
(d) Search their belongings.
14. Who is Hong observing to decide if the man can be trusted?
(a) Ye Pan.
(b) Ye Po.
(c) Wang Be.
(d) Wong Be.
15. What has Meng agreed to do?
(a) Stake a large prize in a cricket fighting contest.
(c) Take care of Lao Chen's grandmother.
(d) Stay with Lao Chen's father when Lao Chen leaves the village.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to exams with poor handwriting?
2. What does Landlord Ma offer in order to convince Chen to marry his daughter?
3. What has Bao taken upon herself to do?
4. How is Hong affected by what happens on the treacherous stretch of the river?
5. From where is Chen returning?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)