|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 143-164.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chen worry about concerning the customs officers?
(a) Losing his jad ink stone.
(b) They will keep Hong from entering since Hong is not a scholar.
(c) Not having any money for a bribe.
(d) They will not believe he is a scholar.
2. Who is Ye Pan?
(a) The man to whom Hong must deliver a letter.
(b) The man who is sharing Hong and Chen's quarters.
(c) A puppeteer Hong meets.
(d) The official overseeing the exams.
3. Why does the Magistrate let the boys go with no punishment?
(a) He is convinced Chen is a scholar.
(b) He receives a letter from the village mayor.
(c) He does not let them go.
(d) He feels sorry for them since their father is a drunk.
4. Who is Meng Dafu?
(a) The person Chen is to deliver his letter to in Wuhan.
(b) Hong's contact in Beijing.
(c) Hong's contact in Wuhan.
(d) The captain of the new vessel they board.
5. Why are the examinees searched?
(a) To see if they are male.
(b) To make sure they are carrying any bribe money.
(c) For cheating materials.
(d) To see if they are carrying any more ink than they are allowed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that delights Hong about Chengdu?
2. What is one of the dangers of the river?
3. What does the magistrate say will happen the next day?
4. What does Ye Pan give Hong before Hong leaves?
5. Why is Bao angry with Hong?
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)