|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Pages 226-253.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the boys find when they arrive at Chengdu?
(a) The city is closed due to a plague.
(b) A long line.
(c) There is no one at the gates.
(d) The soldiers are not allowing anyone else in until the next day.
2. Where are Hong and Chen housed in Beijing?
(a) A village with other scholars.
(b) An old widow's home.
(c) A small inn near the edge of the city.
(d) In a tent in a field outside of the city.
3. How many times has Shen Ding taken the provincial exam before this time?
4. What does Chen worry about concerning the customs officers?
(a) Not having any money for a bribe.
(b) They will not believe he is a scholar.
(c) They will keep Hong from entering since Hong is not a scholar.
(d) Losing his jad ink stone.
5. What does Lin Shi refuse to believe?
(a) That Chen is a member of the White Lotus.
(b) That Hong and Chen are cousins.
(c) That Hong is a member of the White Lotus.
(d) That Hong and Chen are on their way to Beijing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Magistrate let the boys go with no punishment?
2. What does Landlord Ma offer in order to convince Chen to marry his daughter?
3. What happens when the ship is traveling on an especially treacherous stretch of the river?
4. What do Hong and Chen give two woman sitting near a farmhouse?
5. What do Hong and Chen travel on towards Beijing?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)