|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chesterton say is one of the fundamental differences in growing up Christian?
2. What does Chesterton say about the story of Good Friday?
3. What does Chesterton say created the opportunity for opulence and moral degradation to enter into mainstream life in Rome?
4. What emotions does Chesterton say a first time reader of the New Testament would experience?
5. How does Chesterton characterize the wanderings of Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chesterton mean when he refers to the Church's ability to rise again?
2. How much have historical events aided or been obstacles to the continuation of the Church?
3. Explain how Chesterton comes to the conclusion that Christ was an intellectually apt and astute man?
4. According to Chesterton what is the difference between the "Christ of the Church" and the "Christ of the Gospels"?
5. How does Chesterton prove that you can determine the beliefs of the church by what it rejected?
6. What reason does Chesterton give for presenting the last chapter in this fashion?
7. Explain Chesterton's statement, "I do not believe that mythology must begin with eroticism. But I do believe that mythology must end in it." To what was he referring?
8. What was the religious state of Rome when Christ appeared?
9. What importance does Chesterton assign to the "Merry Peasant"?
10. Explain Chesterton's view on the role of the mother in the Christmas story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about C.S. Lewis.
Part 1. Write a short biography of C.S. Lewis. When and where did he live? What did he do professionally?
Part 2. What kind of material did C.S. Lewis write? What are some of his better known works?
Part 3. How did C.S. Lewis's views on God and Christianity change throughout his life? What influence did "The Everlasting Man" have on C.S. Lewis?
Essay Topic 2
In the chapter titled "God and Comparative Religion", Chesterton refers to the Book of Job as one of the cornerstones of the world. Write an essay about the Book of Job.
Part 1. What is the Book of Job? When was it written and by whom? Where does it remain as religious text?
Part 2. Summarize the Book of Job, including the content of the conversations.
Part 3. What primary and important topics or themes are discussed in the book? Why are they pivotal?
Part 4. What is your personal belief regarding some of these topics. Do you feel the Book of Job offers valuable and useful insight? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about G.K. Chesterton.
Part 1. Write a short biography of Chesterton. When and where did he live? What did he do professionally?
Part 2. What kind of material did Chesterton write? What are some of his better known works?
Part 3. What colleagues did Chesterton have who are also well known names? Did he influence them or did they influence him? How?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)