|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following accusations of the Church does Chesterton refute?
(a) That is was Manichean.
(b) All of these.
(c) That it was anti-nature and anti-life.
(d) That it became strong because it was the official religion of Rome.
2. What does Chesterton say is the affect of the paradox of Christianity?
(a) It gives mankind divine responsibility.
(b) It teaches faith.
(c) It has altered human nature.
(d) None of these.
3. Which of the following does Chesterton say was unheard of prior to Christendom?
(a) None of these answers.
(b) Church militants.
(c) A holy land.
4. Which of the following does Chesterton say Christendom brought to the world?
5. Which of the following does Chesterton say is a crucial element of the Christmas story?
(a) The stoic presence and faith of the father.
(b) The absence of authority.
(c) None of these.
(d) The presence of the enemy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chesterton say is strong roots for humanity?
2. What great paradox rests at the heart of Christianity?
3. What does Chesterton remark that Jesus never states a position against?
4. What does Chesterton say would have happened if Christ had not come when he did?
5. What abyss in the unity of the absolute does Chesterton reference?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chesterton connect Christ's intellectual ability to his claim of divinity?
2. How much have historical events aided or been obstacles to the continuation of the Church?
3. According to Chesterton, how do Hector and Achilles compare when looked at historically?
4. Explain what Chesterton means when he says that Asia is old but Europe is born again.
5. Explain what Chesterton meant when he said the birth of Christ turned the universe inside out, or that the circumference had been turned into the center.
6. What importance does Chesterton assign to the "Merry Peasant"?
7. What does Chesterton mean when he refers to the Church's ability to rise again?
8. Explain Chesterton's view on the role of the mother in the Christmas story.
9. Explain how the Christian creed is like a key, according to Chesterton.
10. How does Chesterton prove that you can determine the beliefs of the church by what it rejected?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)