|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Chesterton say is an important element in the Christian faith?
(a) The master suffering instead of his servants.
(b) The concept of a single life on earth.
(c) The duality of heaven and hell.
2. Which of the following does Chesterton say is a crucial element of the Christmas story?
(a) The stoic presence and faith of the father.
(b) None of these.
(c) The presence of the enemy.
(d) The absence of authority.
3. To the Romans, who were used to hearing about so many different sects and religions, what does Chesterton say was different when they heard about Christ?
(a) There was no hope left.
(b) They were ready for violence.
(c) In their souls they knew it was true.
(d) The way in which it was said.
4. From what does Chesterton's friend say the spire of a village church is originated?
(a) Phallic worship of antiquity.
(b) An attempt to reach closer to God.
(c) Pointing to the heavens.
(d) The peak of a mountain.
5. Chesterton called the Church the mortal enemy of what movement?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chesterton see in the sophisticated use of language in the Gospels?
2. Which of the following is a statement Chesterton makes about early Christianity?
3. What does Chesterton say about Rome in the 4th Century?
4. What statement does Chesterton emphatically make about Christianity?
5. What does Chesterton say was the reaction of the populace to the rising Christian movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chesterton prove that you can determine the beliefs of the church by what it rejected?
2. What important role does Herod play in the Christmas story as Chesterton sees it?
3. Explain how Chesterton comes to the conclusion that Christ was an intellectually apt and astute man?
4. What comprises the last chapter of the book "The Everlasting Man"? Summarize what it says.
5. According to Chesterton what is the difference between the "Christ of the Church" and the "Christ of the Gospels"?
6. Why does Chesterton attempt to look at the Gospels as one who had never seen them before?
7. What importance does Chesterton assign to the "Merry Peasant"?
8. Explain what Chesterton means when he says that Asia is old but Europe is born again.
9. Chesterton discusses the popular notion that early Christianity rose in a barbarous time and place. Explain Chesterton's views on this matter.
10. According to Chesterton, how do Hector and Achilles compare when looked at historically?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)