|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: On the Man Called Christ, Chapter IV: The Witness of the Heretics.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chesterton's list of great influential philosophers includes which of the following?
(a) Confucius, Buddha, John the Baptist.
(b) Marcus Aurelius, Socrates, Confucius.
(c) Confucius, Buddha, Akenahten.
(d) Aristotle, Akenahhten, Caesar.
2. Which of the following does Chesterton say is a crucial element of the Christmas story?
(a) The absence of authority.
(b) The presence of the enemy.
(c) None of these.
(d) The stoic presence and faith of the father.
3. What does Chesterton claim the Christian church is not and never has been?
(b) Beyond reason.
(d) Purely human.
4. What does Chesterton claim as a fundamental fact of all civilizations before Christ?
(a) The ineffectiveness of mystic rule.
(b) The fear of mystical leaders.
(c) The insignificance of the individual before the state.
(d) The monopoly of religion to those with power.
5. What place does Chesterton say was the center of antiquity?
(d) The Mediterranean.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of humanity does Chesterton claim is the unit of the state, or the cell that makes up the formation?
2. According to Chesterton, how much did the philosophies of the great thinkers like Aristotle influence the religious spirit of the time?
3. According to Chesterton, how was the purity of the Church preserved?
4. What statement does Chesterton emphatically make about Christianity?
5. What does Chesterton say is the natural result of religion in the home?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)