|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: On the Creature Called Man, Chapter VI: The Demons and the Philosophers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a statement Chesterton makes?
(a) One must release rationality to fully embrace religion.
(b) Common sense perishes except where there is Christianity to preserve it.
(c) Christianity does appeal to a solid truth outside itself.
(d) Religion is really not a pattern but a picture.
2. To what description of the life of the cave-man does Chesterton especially object?
(a) Their pagan worship.
(b) Their proximity to apes.
(c) The suggested violence of men to women.
(d) All of these.
3. Chesterton says cave men cannot be compared to what?
(a) Other primates.
(b) Modern savages.
(c) Anthropological projections.
(d) Modern artists.
4. What does Chesterton claim the evidence proves about cave men?
(a) They had no way of understanding the world.
(b) They were very much like men today.
(c) None of these.
(d) They already had organized religion.
5. What does Chesterton take as evidence that evolution is flawed as a way to define the origins of man?
(a) The missing link.
(b) The changing nature of the theories.
(c) None of these.
(d) The fact that mankind is apparently not evolving now.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is something Chesterton says future scientists will deduce from 20th Century initials carved in stone?
2. In Part I, Chapter 1, which of the following does Chesterton recommend doing?
3. How does Chesterton interpret the title of the book, "The Evolution of the Idea of God"?
4. Chesterton's list of great influential philosophers includes which of the following?
5. Who does Chesterton claim to be the best judge of Christianity?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)