|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: On the Man Called Christ, Chapter V: The Escape from Paganism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a statement Chesterton makes about early Christianity?
(a) That it evolved naturally out of an empire in decay.
(b) It flourished because of the times.
(c) Its rise could have been predicted.
(d) It had every psychological disadvantage for success.
2. What does Chesterton say are the most realistic descriptions in the New Testament?
(a) Those of emotions and forgiveness.
(b) Those of the wrath of Christ.
(c) Those of the supernatural.
(d) None of these.
3. What does Chesterton think of the theory that mankind is solely motivated by economic reasons of subsistence?
(a) That it is true except in the case of religion.
(b) That it is fundamentally and universally true.
(c) That it is the primary motivating factor only when subsistence is threatened.
(d) That it is absolutely untrue.
4. Chesterton claims the holy trinity is an upside version of what?
(c) The family.
(d) The three original elements of religion.
5. How does Chesterton say a myth must be appreciated?
(a) In context of the people who created it.
(b) With a poetical, childlike attitude.
(c) As hints of a fundamental belief.
Short Answer Questions
1. What parallel does Chesterton draw with the uniqueness of the Christian church?
2. What does Chesterton determine is unique about Christ in comparison with the founders of the other major religions?
3. Which of the following does Chesterton say is the most puzzling and terrifying?
4. Which of the following is a statement Chesterton makes about paganism?
5. Which of the following does Chesterton say was unheard of prior to Christendom?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)