|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: On the Man Called Christ, Chapter III: The Strangest Story in the World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chesterton call the death of Socrates?
(a) Symbolic of the time.
(d) An interruption in his teaching.
2. How does Chesterton characterize the approach of Hannibal to Rome?
(a) Like the reckoning for unholiness.
(b) Like a dark supernatural power.
(c) Riding on the glory of the gods.
(d) Like a hot knife slicing through the resistance.
3. What does Chesterton think of the theory that mankind is solely motivated by economic reasons of subsistence?
(a) That it is fundamentally and universally true.
(b) That it is the primary motivating factor only when subsistence is threatened.
(c) That it is true except in the case of religion.
(d) That it is absolutely untrue.
4. What does Chesterton call the death of Jesus?
(b) The act of greatest consequence.
(c) The objective of his mission.
5. What does say Chesterton say would have been very different if the battle between Carthage and Rome were different?
(b) The common face of religion.
(c) The struggle which established Christendom.
(d) The world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chesterton says cave men cannot be compared to what?
2. What support does Egypt give to Chesterton's argument?
3. What literary technique does Chesterton admire in the Gospels?
4. What practice does Chesterton say that Christ started by his teachings?
5. What personage from Troy does Chesterton say created an archetype and impacted history?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)