|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Indians were forced to sign the Treaty of ___________ Landing.
2. How are these rivers and creeks formed?
3. Colonies were established in various parts of the world as a result of what?
4. Menendez renamed the woman Dona ______________.
5. The area receives an average of ________________ inches of rainfall per year.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe and explain the relationship between the Indians and blacks.
2. Describe the rainy season in the Everglades.
3. How did the Indians react to the arrival of these Europeans?
4. How might the Indians who were the first to travel to Europe feel? Why?
5. Describe the Indian tribes now living in Florida.
6. What did Hernando de Soto govern? How well might he have governed? Why?
7. Describe the treaties signed by the Indians. Why did they sign these treaties?
8. For how long was there peace in Florida? Why?
9. Describe Menendez and his tactics when dealing with others. Would this be tolerated today? Why or why not?
10. How did animals end up, and stay, in Florida? How did this affect the various species?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many changes took place in Florida at the end of the Civil War.
Part 1) Describe Florida prior to the Civil War. Why was it like this? How did it compare to other states? How did it begin to change during the Civil War? Why did it change even more after the Civil War?
Part 2) How did these changes affect all those living in Florida? How did these changes compare to those taking place around the country? Did these changes change Florida for the better? Why or why not?
Part 3) What changes have taken place in Florida since the end of the Civil War? Why did these changes occur? How did these changes reflect other events and feelings around the country?
Essay Topic 2
Migrant workers have been important in Floridian agriculture.
Part 1) What is a migrant worker? What is the history of the migrant worker in Florida? How have they been important to Floridian agriculture? Why have they been so important? How are migrant workers still important in Floridian agriculture?
Part 2) How are migrant workers important throughout other parts of the U.S.? Why are they important elsewhere? Why might one become a migrant worker? Would you want to be a migrant worker? Why or why not?
Part 3) What issues has the U.S. had with migrant workers in recent history? How has this become a problem? How should our country handle this problem? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Zachary Taylor was in charge of Florida and the governments Indian policy.
Part 1) Who was Zachary Taylor? How was he put in charge of Florida and the government's Indian policy? Was he qualified to hold these positions? Why or why not? Describe his abilities at running Florida and co-habitating with the Native Americans? How did he personally affect the relationship between whites and Native Americans?
Part 2) How successful were Zachary Taylor's policies? Why? What happened when he retired? How were others affected by his retirement?
Part 3) Describe the Native American policy in general. Is this constitutional? Why or why not? How did this policy affect all U.S. citizens, colonists, settlers, Native American, blacks, etc.? Do such policies exist today? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)