|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the ships were wrecked. Why?
2. Carlos gave who to be the wife of Menendez?
3. There are usually ________________ in late September and October.
4. Spain obtained control of Florida again after what?
5. The Indians were forced to sign the Treaty of ___________ Landing.
Short Essay Questions
1. How might the Indians who were the first to travel to Europe feel? Why?
2. Why was no one able to lead the Indians?
3. From where did the Indians of Florida originate? How did their adjustment to living in Florida compare to that of the animals?
4. How were the Americas affected by the Age of Exploration?
5. What is the Age of Exploration? Why did it take place?
6. Describe Menendez and his tactics when dealing with others. Would this be tolerated today? Why or why not?
7. Describe the treaties signed by the Indians. Why did they sign these treaties?
8. Describe the Floridian Plateau. How does this make it a plateau?
9. How were the Native Americans treated by the European countries who sent out explorers? Why?
10. What did Hernando de Soto govern? How well might he have governed? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Canals were dredged in Florida.
Part 1) How did settlers change Florida's landscape over the centuries? Why did they begin dredging canals? How is this related to the settling of Florida?
Part 2) What else was being done to the Florida landscape at the same time canals were being dredged? Why? How did all of this activity begin to affect Florida?
Part 3) How are these activities still seen today? How has human activity all over the world affected our environments and our planet as a whole? How might this affect our world for future generations?
Essay Topic 2
The government's policy changed, and Colonel Worth was put in charge to uphold it.
Part 1) When did the government's policy change? Why did it change? Why was Colonel Worth put in charge of implementing and upholding this policy? Was he a good choice the job? Why or why not?
Part 2) How did this new policy affect the Native Americans and the relationship between the Native Americans and the whites? Was this policy effective? Why or why not? What did this new policy reveal about those in charge?
Part 3) Describe two other policies in our country's past that reflect this same view of minorities. How effective were these policies? Why? Do any policies like this exist today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Railroads were built in Florida.
Part 1) Describe the building of railroads in Florida and throughout the U.S. Why were railroads so important at this time? How did these new railroads affect the creation of communities all over the country?
Part 2) How have railroads affected the various environments and animal habitats all over the country? How are these affects still seen today?
Part 3) How are railroads still important in the U.S. and around the world today? What new technology assists the railroad in shipping goods and people from one place to another? How has this new technology affected the environment? How do these affects compare to those of the railroad?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)