|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A lighthouse was built at Key Biscayne in _____________.
2. The ________________ problems caused by drainage began to affect vegetable growing and livestock as well as the water supply of the cities.
(a) Lack of water.
(b) Polluted water.
(c) Oil spill.
(d) Salt water.
3. How did the Indians make a living?
(a) By capturing birds and selling them to Havana.
(b) By selling Indian souvenirs.
(c) By capturing wild animals and selling them to zoos and circuses.
(d) By selling alcohol.
4. Why did they want to grow sugar?
(a) They could replace the chemicals that were missing from the land.
(b) Sugar was becoming very popular.
(c) The country was in need of more sugar.
(d) Many sugar crops had died elsewhere in the country due to disease.
5. This was the _________ big archaeological find in the Everglades and provided knowledge about the prehistoric Glades people.
Short Answer Questions
1. By __________ efforts were underway to correct the problems.
2. ____________ Taylor was in charge of Florida and the government's Indian policy.
3. There was a ___________________ epidemic after the Spanish American war.
4. There was a quarantine that stopped everything but what in Miami?
5. ________________ purchased bankrupt Southern Railroads and planned a railroad from Sanford to Tampa.
Short Essay Questions
1. Migrant workers were important to Florida agriculture. Why? Are they as important today? Why or why not?
2. Miami and other cities prospered after the Depression. Why? Would this have been possible in other cities outside of Florida? Why or why not?
3. Describe the Central and Southern Florida Flood Control Project. What were the consequences of this? Could these consequences have been predicted? Why or why not?
4. Why did the whites want the Indians to leave?
5. What was the Koreshan Unity? What does this reveal about some people during this time? Are places such as the Koreshan Unity in existence today? Why or why not?
6. How did the ending of the Civil War affect Florida?
7. Why was tourism important to Florida? Why has this importance continued to today?
8. How did the Native Americans adapt to life in Florida after the Civil War? How does this reflect their ability to adapt throughout the settling of the Americas?
9. What were the effects of the Yellow Fever epidemic? How have such epidemics been seen and dealt with in our own time?
10. Why were people interested in growing sugar in Florida? Is this a valid reason? Why or why not?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)