|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Cyrus Teed founded the _________________ which was devoted to communal living.
(a) Twin Oaks Community.
(c) Bodhi Collective.
(d) Koreshan Unity.
2. What was an important industry for the cities?
(d) Coal mining.
3. Towns formed along _____________ Florida East Coast Railroad.
4. At this time, Captain _____________ took over the Office of Indian Affairs.
5. __________ was the first to recover with a myriad of new hotels.
(a) Panama City Beach.
(b) New Smyrna Beach.
(c) Dayton Beach.
(d) Miami Beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. The area south of ___________________ was successfully growing fruits.
2. Henry M. Flagler constructed a hotel in ______________ and was also interested in Florida railroads.
3. People were now interested in making a life in other parts of Florida, mainly where?
4. By ___________, the government was told that Disston would not be able to drain all of the Everglades.
5. Mail delivery developed slowly first by foot, and then by wagon and ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the effects of the Yellow Fever epidemic? How have such epidemics been seen and dealt with in our own time?
2. How did Florida becoming a slave state affect those living in Florida?
3. What is the purpose of this chapter?
4. How did the Native Americans adapt to life in Florida after the Civil War? How does this reflect their ability to adapt throughout the settling of the Americas?
5. How was corruption and crime a part of life in Florida in this chapter? How is this also a theme of this book?
6. Miami and other cities prospered after the Depression. Why? Would this have been possible in other cities outside of Florida? Why or why not?
7. Why were slaves so valuable? How did their value affect life in Florida at this time
8. How did the sugar embargo in 1960 affect pollution in the Everglades? Could this have been prevented? If so, how? If not, why not?
9. The University of Miami is established. What does this reveal about Florida?
10. What were the results of the Swamp Land Act of 1850?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)