|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were there many of in Miami at this time?
(a) Students and young families.
(b) Cowboys and Indians.
(c) Bathers and casinos.
(d) Farmers and teachers.
2. When the cattle became infested with ticks, they blamed what for carrying ticks?
(a) The alligators.
(b) The deer.
(c) The Indians.
(d) The blacks.
3. What did the Central and Southern Florida Flood Control Project affect?
(b) The cattle ranchers.
(c) The bird population of the Everglades.
(d) The tourist population of Florida.
4. When Taylor retired from the Army in __________, he was replaced by Brigadier General Taylor and a new government policy.
5. ____________ Taylor was in charge of Florida and the government's Indian policy.
6. This chapter is a result of a __________ discussion with the author about what has happened in the forty years since the book was first published.
7. Major General Twiggs was ordered to the area. He established a post named Fort Myers after who?
(a) His son.
(b) His father.
(c) His future son-in-law.
(d) His nephew.
8. The survivors were taken to _________________ while the Indians retreated into the Everglades.
(a) St. Augustine.
(c) Ft. Lauderdale.
9. The crime in the Everglades increased due to what?
(a) Mental illness.
(b) The goods being transported through the Everglades.
(d) Severe poverty.
10. Several canals were dug and the price of land _____________.
(d) Became sporadic.
11. Dr. Cyrus Teed founded the _________________ which was devoted to communal living.
(a) Bodhi Collective.
(b) Twin Oaks Community.
(c) Koreshan Unity.
12. The University began in ___________ and grew.
(a) A warehouse.
(b) A bank.
(c) A hotel.
(d) An old public school building.
13. ________________ purchased bankrupt Southern Railroads and planned a railroad from Sanford to Tampa.
(a) Harry B. Seed.
(b) Henri B. Arbor.
(c) Harrison B. Root.
(d) Henry B. Plant.
14. Who replaced these workers after World War II?
(a) White workers.
(b) Hispanic workers.
(c) Black workers.
(d) Indian workers.
15. In 1947, South Florida experienced ________ hurricanes and as a result, there were demands for flood control.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did they want to grow sugar?
2. ____________________ set up a company to obtain land grants in the Everglades.
3. __________ was the first to recover with a myriad of new hotels.
4. The state was still trying to do what to the Indians?
5. The government's policy now was to suppress the Indians and this was the job of Colonel __________.
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)