|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Port ________________ became a good, increasingly important port.
2. In ___________, the murder of three men caused fears of another Indian uprising.
3. Who was the first group of white men to ever cross the Everglades from east to west?
(a) Washington and the Army of Virginia.
(b) De Soto and his men.
(c) Roosevelt and his Rough Riders.
(d) Colonel Harney and his troops.
4. __________________ explored the archaeological aspects of the Everglades finding many artifacts.
(a) Cyrus Teed.
(b) Thomas McClure.
(c) Jasper P. Whetstone.
(d) Frank Hamilton Cusing.
5. When the cattle became infested with ticks, they blamed what for carrying ticks?
(a) The alligators.
(b) The deer.
(c) The blacks.
(d) The Indians.
6. The __________ industry in the area contributed to Lake Okeechobee's pollution.
7. At this time, Captain _____________ took over the Office of Indian Affairs.
8. The survivors were taken to _________________ while the Indians retreated into the Everglades.
(a) Ft. Lauderdale.
(b) St. Augustine.
9. ___________________ was established by Bowman F. Ashe who became its president.
(a) Florida State University.
(b) The University of South Florida.
(c) Florida Atlantic University.
(d) The University of Miami.
10. The University began in ___________ and grew.
(a) A bank.
(b) An old public school building.
(c) A warehouse.
(d) A hotel.
11. The lives of the Indians were also changing as they adapted more modern ways, especially who?
(a) The men.
(b) The younger ones.
(c) The younger males.
(d) The younger females.
12. Eventually Billy Bowlegs and others were offered money to leave Florida. Where did they go after they accepted the money?
(a) Baton Rouge.
(d) New Orleans.
13. By __________ efforts were underway to correct the problems.
14. ________ hundred people followed him and lived in the commune he established.
15. Major General Twiggs was ordered to the area. He established a post named Fort Myers after who?
(a) His son.
(b) His father.
(c) His future son-in-law.
(d) His nephew.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ________________ problems caused by drainage began to affect vegetable growing and livestock as well as the water supply of the cities.
2. The crime in the Everglades increased due to what?
3. The Everglades still has problems, as does the rest of the area, because of what?
4. What was an important industry for the cities?
5. ________________ purchased bankrupt Southern Railroads and planned a railroad from Sanford to Tampa.
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)