|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. This was the _________ big archaeological find in the Everglades and provided knowledge about the prehistoric Glades people.
2. Cattle country developed west of _____________.
(b) Cape Coral.
(d) Cedar Key.
3. When Taylor retired from the Army in __________, he was replaced by Brigadier General Taylor and a new government policy.
4. The area south of ___________________ was successfully growing fruits.
(a) Lake Okeechobee.
(b) Lake Olivia.
(c) Lake Osborne.
(d) Lake Overstreet.
5. When the Indians attacked ______________ Key, Perrine was killed but his wife and children escaped.
(d) Big Pine.
6. Mail delivery developed slowly first by foot, and then by wagon and ____________.
7. Since Taylor allowed the Blacks to go west with the Indians and prevented them from being hunted in the war zone, __________ hundred of the Indians agreed to move west.
8. __________ was the first to recover with a myriad of new hotels.
(a) New Smyrna Beach.
(b) Dayton Beach.
(c) Miami Beach.
(d) Panama City Beach.
9. The crime in the Everglades increased due to what?
(a) Mental illness.
(c) The goods being transported through the Everglades.
(d) Severe poverty.
10. Towns formed along _____________ Florida East Coast Railroad.
11. There was a quarantine that stopped everything but what in Miami?
(a) The shipping industry.
(b) The night clubs.
(c) The railroad.
(d) Real estate activity.
12. Eventually the first canal was dredged by _________________.
(a) Hank Dillon.
(b) Hamilton Disston.
(c) Harrison DeVane.
(d) Henry Deveau.
13. In ___________, the murder of three men caused fears of another Indian uprising.
14. After ___________________, people decided to grow sugar cane in Florida.
(a) The Great Depression.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Spanish-American War.
(d) World War II.
15. What was an important industry for the cities?
(a) Coal mining.
Short Answer Questions
1. The University began in ___________ and grew.
2. In ____________, Carl Fisher laid out the plans for Miami Beach and built hotels.
3. Slaves continued to escape to Florida. Why were slaves valuable?
4. In __________, the Everglades became a national park.
5. When Broward became governor in __________, they again tried to drain the Everglades.
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)