|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Slaves continued to escape to Florida. Why were slaves valuable?
(a) They were not intelligent.
(b) They could not be imported to the United States legally after 1808.
(c) They did not have to be paid.
(d) They were strong.
2. Progress and expansion occurred along the East Coast. How much took place in the Everglades?
(a) Very little.
(d) A great deal.
3. When did the Army move out of Florida?
(a) Before war began.
(b) After WWI.
(c) After the Spanish-American War.
(d) After the peace.
4. The survivors were taken to _________________ while the Indians retreated into the Everglades.
(a) Ft. Lauderdale.
(d) St. Augustine.
5. When the Civil War ended slavery, it also ended what?
(a) Peace between the whites and Indians.
(b) Hatred for African Americans and Indians.
(c) The white man following the escaped slaves to the Everglades.
(d) The attempts to force the Indians out.
6. Several canals were dug and the price of land _____________.
(c) Became sporadic.
7. When the cattle became infested with ticks, they blamed what for carrying ticks?
(a) The Indians.
(b) The deer.
(c) The alligators.
(d) The blacks.
8. Miami and nearby areas _______________ in the years following the Depression.
(a) Were severely altered.
(d) Were destroyed.
9. The Indians, who thought the new policy would allow them to remain in Florida, found they had been lied to. How did they react?
(a) They left Florida.
(b) They protested.
(c) They attacked the army settlement at Charlotte Harbor.
(d) They asked other European nations to help them.
10. The rowing of this crop required irrigation that affected the water level of what?
(a) Lake Anoka.
(b) Lake Okeechobee.
(c) Lake Eola.
(d) Lake Miccosukee.
11. In ___________, the murder of three men caused fears of another Indian uprising.
12. In 1947, South Florida experienced ________ hurricanes and as a result, there were demands for flood control.
13. ________ hundred people followed him and lived in the commune he established.
14. Henry M. Flagler constructed a hotel in ______________ and was also interested in Florida railroads.
(a) St. Augustine.
15. When the fields were ______________, they built a dike and tried planting the cane again.
(a) Polluted by chemicals.
(b) Burned in a forest fire.
(c) Flooded by the rains.
(d) Destroyed by hail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Taylor allowed the Blacks to go west with the Indians and prevented them from being hunted in the war zone, __________ hundred of the Indians agreed to move west.
2. Who replaced these workers after World War II?
3. The surveyors entered ___________________ in the Everglades which violated the treaty with the Indians.
4. Why did the rowing of the answer to 164 become more important in 1960?
5. People moved into the Everglades. How did they live with the Indians?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)