|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Indians attacked ______________ Key, Perrine was killed but his wife and children escaped.
(c) Big Pine.
2. How did the Indians make a living?
(a) By capturing wild animals and selling them to zoos and circuses.
(b) By selling Indian souvenirs.
(c) By selling alcohol.
(d) By capturing birds and selling them to Havana.
3. The Indians, who thought the new policy would allow them to remain in Florida, found they had been lied to. How did they react?
(a) They left Florida.
(b) They attacked the army settlement at Charlotte Harbor.
(c) They asked other European nations to help them.
(d) They protested.
4. People moved into the Everglades. How did they live with the Indians?
(a) In separate, guarded communities.
(b) Peacefully for only a couple of years.
(c) Not well.
5. Dr. Cyrus Teed founded the _________________ which was devoted to communal living.
(a) Koreshan Unity.
(b) Bodhi Collective.
(d) Twin Oaks Community.
6. People were now interested in making a life in other parts of Florida, mainly where?
(a) Along the northern border.
(b) Along the west coast.
(c) In the interior.
(d) Along the coast.
7. A base was established near them in 1838 and Dr. Henry Perrine received a __________________ thousand acre grant to develop tropical plants.
(a) Twenty four.
8. ________________ purchased bankrupt Southern Railroads and planned a railroad from Sanford to Tampa.
(a) Henry B. Plant.
(b) Harrison B. Root.
(c) Henri B. Arbor.
(d) Harry B. Seed.
9. The lives of the Indians were also changing as they adapted more modern ways, especially who?
(a) The men.
(b) The younger ones.
(c) The younger females.
(d) The younger males.
10. In __________, the Everglades became a national park.
11. In 1947, South Florida experienced ________ hurricanes and as a result, there were demands for flood control.
12. Miami and nearby areas _______________ in the years following the Depression.
(c) Were destroyed.
(d) Were severely altered.
13. Why did they want to grow sugar?
(a) The country was in need of more sugar.
(b) Sugar was becoming very popular.
(c) They could replace the chemicals that were missing from the land.
(d) Many sugar crops had died elsewhere in the country due to disease.
14. In ___________, the Miami area was struck by a hurricane.
15. In ____________, Carl Fisher laid out the plans for Miami Beach and built hotels.
Short Answer Questions
1. There has been a change in the demographics of the population with an inflow of _______________ families.
2. By __________ efforts were underway to correct the problems.
3. A lighthouse was built at Key Biscayne in _____________.
4. The crime in the Everglades increased due to what?
5. The state was still trying to do what to the Indians?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)