|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did others regard Shams?
2. Most of Rumi's poems presented in this book exhibit what form?
3. What elevates Rumi's poems beyond a simple collection of ideas?
4. "Cry Out In Your Weakness" is a poem about:
5. For Coleman Barks, part of the experience of grasping Rumi's poems is what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the poet's message about friendship in his writings about a frog and a mouse?
2. What does the poem about a mouse and a camel convey about friendship and honesty?
3. What are some of the challenges of translating Rumi's poems?
4. What makes Rumi's poems emotionally well integrated?
5. What might you conclude about Rumi's ideas regarding the importance of friendship?
6. How is Coleman Barks associated with Rumi?
7. How does the role of gender come into play in many of Rumi's poems?
8. How would one describe the tavern poems?
9. Describe Husam Chelebi's role as scribe.
10. With regards to beauty, what important connection does Rumi infer when he references a beautiful woman in the poem about a city being invaded by men driven by sexual desire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ayaz is a character that appears repeatedly throughout many of Rumi's poems. How does Ayaz evolve through Rumi's writings? In what ways is Ayaz similar to Rumi? To Rumi's friends? How does Rumi use Ayaz to explain to the reader some of his own life experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the poem about a prisoner who is helped by the Friend illuminates lessons on the following:
1. The power of prayer.
2. Trusting a dear friend.
3. Reading between the lines.
4. Finding the hidden messages in a situation.
Essay Topic 3
How do Rumi's poems express the central theme of unity? Use at least three different poems as references to support your analysis.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)