|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 3, Union through Rough Metaphor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the end, where does the Caliph of a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 send the mysterious, beautiful woman from the city his men have invaded?
(a) To another city.
(b) To a monastery.
(c) Back to the captain.
(d) Back to her family.
2. Rumi's works are deeply:
3. Rumi indicates that people who have blind faith are following this path through what?
(c) Fear and compulsion.
(d) Joy and willpower.
4. Why did Rumi's family flee the place of his birth?
(a) They feared the ruler of the region.
(b) They feared a Mongol invasion.
(c) The land was attacked by Turks.
(d) The land was struck by drought.
5. What main lesson does Rumi impart through his poem about a man who wants a tattoo in Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) When embarking upon a task, one must be prepared for the associated pain.
(b) A man better have enough money before he goes about desiring frivolous things.
(c) Tattoos are a waste of time and money.
(d) A person must listen to one's own heart rather than the babble of others.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Rumi's father teach him?
2. Rumi's short-story format found in some of his poems is characterized by:
3. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, when a city is taken by siege, what happens to one of the invaders?
4. What happened after Shams disappeared a second time?
5. When the man in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 accidentally soils himself, what does his host and friend do?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)