|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 3, Union through Rough Metaphor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to being a religious leader, Rumi was a what?
2. As the bond of friendship that Rumi writes about between a frog and its animal friend grows, the two animals find that their wish for each other's company:
(a) Is discouraged by their own kind.
(b) Is laughed at by others.
(c) Diminishes over time.
(d) Turns into a need.
3. In the story of a camel and a mouse found in Book 1, Chapter 3, what does the camel do when the two reach a body of water?
(a) Encourages the mouse to continue.
(b) Tosses the mouse into the water.
(c) Takes a bath.
(d) Runs away.
4. For Coleman Barks, part of the experience of grasping Rumi's poems is what?
5. When was Rumi born?
(a) October 20, 1390.
(b) September 30, 1207.
(c) December 15, 1461.
(d) November 26, 1119.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hallaj?
2. In some of his poems, Rumi refers to religious figures:
3. In the poems about an unlikely friendship between two different animals, one of them being a frog, these two animals have very different what?
4. In a poem entitled "Rough Metaphors," Rumi asserts that a lover's reverence is often sheltered in:
5. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, when a city is taken by siege, what happens to one of the invaders?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)