|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 3, Union through Rough Metaphor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whether writing about friendship, love, or God, a common theme covered by Rumi is:
2. According to Rumi, people who choose from their own free will come from:
3. As the bond of friendship that Rumi writes about between a frog and its animal friend grows, the two animals find that their wish for each other's company:
(a) Turns into a need.
(b) Diminishes over time.
(c) Is discouraged by their own kind.
(d) Is laughed at by others.
4. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 3 about Ayaz the courtier, what command does the king give?
(a) To bring him the costliest treasure.
(b) To make him laugh.
(c) To destroy a precious object.
(d) To repair a damaged piece of furniture.
5. In Rumi's string metaphor, the string connects two animals by their what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Rumi indicates that people who have blind faith are following this path through what?
2. Rumi's short-story format found in some of his poems is characterized by:
3. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 3 involving a complicated love triangle consisting of a man and two women, Rumi explores what subjects?
4. In the book, Coleman Barks is the author of what?
5. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 3, Rumi writes about a deer dying in the paws of a:
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)