|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 3, Union through Rough Metaphor.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Over time, what has Coleman Barks been able to do with Rumi's poems?
(a) Teach them to his children.
(b) Experience them more deeply.
(c) Decode secret messages.
(d) Translate them into five languages.
2. Are Rumi's friends mentioned directly in his poems?
(a) Only in some.
(b) It is impossible to tell.
(c) No, in none of them.
(d) Yes, in all of them.
3. What is one of the central teachings of Rumi?
(a) The cultivation of love.
(b) The search for eternal youth.
(c) The elimination of sin.
(d) The desire for power.
4. When was the New Expanded Edition of this book published?
5. Whether writing about friendship, love, or God, a common theme covered by Rumi is:
Short Answer Questions
1. At times the character Hallaj can be tender and loving, but other times he can be what?
2. How many additional poems were translated and included in the New Expanded Edition?
3. In some of his poems, Rumi refers to religious figures:
4. When the animal soul Rumi writes about is in proper balance, it:
5. In the poem "Meadowsounds," Rumi devotes two lines to:
This section contains 203 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)