|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 2, Desire & New Silk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the Caliph meets a beautiful, mysterious woman from the city his men have invaded, in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2?
(a) One of his men attacks him.
(b) He falls in love with her.
(c) The woman attacks him.
(d) He regrets his actions.
2. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, when a city is taken by siege, what happens to one of the invaders?
(a) Is taken prisoner immediately.
(b) Falls in love instantly.
(c) Is tricked and poisoned.
(d) Becomes a double agent.
3. When was the New Expanded Edition of this book published?
4. Rumi's short-story poems range from less than fifty lines to approximately what length?
(a) A hundred twenty lines.
(b) Two hundred lines.
(c) Ten thousand lines.
(d) Two thousand lines.
5. Coleman Barks is famous for what?
(a) Translating Rumi's work in to Russian.
(b) Translating Rumi's work in to English.
(c) Teaching a Rumi poetry class at Colorado State University.
(d) Teaching a Rumi poetry class at Baylor University.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book, Coleman Barks is the author of what?
2. In the poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, about a man who wants a tattoo, what dilemma does he face?
3. Over time, what has Coleman Barks been able to do with Rumi's poems?
4. Who is Coleman Barks?
5. Why did Rumi's family flee the place of his birth?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)