|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 2, Desire & New Silk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, when a city is taken by siege, what happens to one of the invaders?
(a) Falls in love instantly.
(b) Becomes a double agent.
(c) Is taken prisoner immediately.
(d) Is tricked and poisoned.
2. When did Coleman Barks first become interested in Rumi's poetry?
3. What happened after Shams disappeared a second time?
(a) He went to work for another school.
(b) He married and had five children.
(c) He fell off a cliff.
(d) He never came back.
4. Rumi asserts that the union between a man and a woman has what associated with it?
(a) Spiritual component.
(b) Earthly connection.
(c) Hint of sadness.
(d) Emotional baggage.
5. According to Rumi, when the individual ego disappears and dissipates into God, this can be understood as what?
(a) Cause for confusion.
(c) Cause for celebration.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poems about an unlikely friendship between two different animals, one of them being a frog, these two animals have very different what?
2. Rumi's short-story format found in some of his poems is characterized by:
3. As the bond of friendship that Rumi writes about between a frog and its animal friend grows, the two animals find that their wish for each other's company:
4. Who were Rumi's three main friends who inspired much of his poetry?
5. When Coleman Barks first started reading Rumi's works, what types of words turned him away?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)