|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 2, Desire & New Silk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rumi's family flee the place of his birth?
(a) They feared a Mongol invasion.
(b) They feared the ruler of the region.
(c) The land was attacked by Turks.
(d) The land was struck by drought.
2. In the poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, where several men fall in love with the same woman, her physical beauty is really a representation of what?
(a) The illusion of happiness.
(b) Spiritual beauty.
(c) False hope.
(d) The passage of time.
3. Coleman Barks is famous for what?
(a) Teaching a Rumi poetry class at Baylor University.
(b) Translating Rumi's work in to English.
(c) Translating Rumi's work in to Russian.
(d) Teaching a Rumi poetry class at Colorado State University.
4. Relative to Rumi, who was Shams Tabriz?
5. Which of the following best describes the word exoteric?
(a) Secret rituals.
(b) Humorous sayings.
(c) Open teachings.
(d) Incomprehensible words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Caliph meets a beautiful, mysterious woman from the city his men have invaded, in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2?
2. Saladin of Zarkub was what?
3. Rumi's works are deeply:
4. What happened after Shams disappeared a second time?
5. What post did Rumi inherit?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)