|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 2, Desire & New Silk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Hallaj?
(a) Rumi's teacher.
(b) Scholar who studies Rumi.
(c) Character in Rumi's poems.
(d) Rumi's father.
2. Much of the works in this book focus on what type of relationships?
(a) Teacher and student.
(c) Same gender.
3. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, when a city is taken by siege, what happens to one of the invaders?
(a) Is tricked and poisoned.
(b) Falls in love instantly.
(c) Becomes a double agent.
(d) Is taken prisoner immediately.
4. What post did Rumi inherit?
5. Rumi uses the metaphor of a string between two animals to represent what?
(c) Selective hearing.
(d) Secret connections.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rumi's family flee the place of his birth?
2. In the book, Coleman Barks is the author of what?
3. How did others regard Shams?
4. For Coleman Barks, part of the experience of grasping Rumi's poems is what?
5. When the man in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 accidentally soils himself, what does his host and friend do?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)