|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 2, Desire & New Silk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the man in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 accidentally soils himself, what does his host and friend do?
(a) Leaves for three days while his servants clean the home.
(b) Laughs loudly and humiliates the man.
(c) Evicts him from his home.
(d) Launders the garments and helps the man feel better.
2. Who is Coleman Barks?
3. The poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 about a man who accidentally soils himself includes lessons on which of the following?
(a) Release from shame.
(d) Strength and power.
4. In this book, the term "nafs" refers to what?
(a) The part of the soul associated with desires.
(b) The highest state of enlightenment.
(c) A style of poetry developed by Rumi.
(d) A food commonly consumed during Rumi's time.
5. In addition to being a religious leader, Rumi was a what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the word exoteric?
2. What happens when the Caliph meets a beautiful, mysterious woman from the city his men have invaded, in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2?
3. The poem "On Being A Lover" is written in what format?
4. In the end, where does the Caliph of a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 send the mysterious, beautiful woman from the city his men have invaded?
5. Many of Rumi's poems are so personal that they help readers reconnect to what?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)