|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 2, Desire & New Silk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Rumi's string metaphor, the string connects two animals by their what?
2. Rumi's poems focus on what aspect of life?
(a) Imaginary life.
(b) Life after death.
(c) Life's sorrows.
(d) Inner life.
3. When was Rumi born?
(a) November 26, 1119.
(b) December 15, 1461.
(c) October 20, 1390.
(d) September 30, 1207.
4. Which of the following best describes the word exoteric?
(a) Humorous sayings.
(b) Incomprehensible words.
(c) Open teachings.
(d) Secret rituals.
5. Rumi's short-story poems range from less than fifty lines to approximately what length?
(a) Two thousand lines.
(b) A hundred twenty lines.
(c) Two hundred lines.
(d) Ten thousand lines.
Short Answer Questions
1. In many of Rumi's poems, not only in Book 1, Chapter 2, but throughout the whole book, his distinction between "me" and "you" is what?
2. According to a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, what happens when you put pond water into a larger body of water?
3. Rumi's short-story format found in some of his poems is characterized by:
4. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, when a city is taken by siege, what happens to one of the invaders?
5. In the poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, about a man who wants a tattoo, what dilemma does he face?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)