|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 2, Desire & New Silk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rumi's family flee the place of his birth?
(a) The land was struck by drought.
(b) They feared a Mongol invasion.
(c) The land was attacked by Turks.
(d) They feared the ruler of the region.
2. Over time, what has Coleman Barks been able to do with Rumi's poems?
(a) Experience them more deeply.
(b) Teach them to his children.
(c) Translate them into five languages.
(d) Decode secret messages.
3. When the man in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 accidentally soils himself, what does his host and friend do?
(a) Launders the garments and helps the man feel better.
(b) Leaves for three days while his servants clean the home.
(c) Laughs loudly and humiliates the man.
(d) Evicts him from his home.
4. Rumi's works are deeply:
5. What prominent themes are found in much of Rumi's work?
(a) Love and unity.
(b) Travel and loss.
(c) Marriage and divorce.
(d) Hate and separation.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the end, where does the Caliph of a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 send the mysterious, beautiful woman from the city his men have invaded?
2. The poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 about a man who accidentally soils himself includes lessons on which of the following?
3. According to a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, what happens when you put pond water into a larger body of water?
4. Rumi uses the metaphor of a string between two animals to represent what?
5. What main lesson does Rumi impart through his poem about a man who wants a tattoo in Book 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)