|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 2, Desire & New Silk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many of Rumi's poems are so personal that they help readers reconnect to what?
(a) Practical ideas.
(b) Their analytical sides.
(c) Their emotional centers.
(d) Childhood notions.
2. Rumi's short-story format found in some of his poems is characterized by:
(a) Angelic teachers.
(b) Bizarre characters.
(c) A mystical, mysterious story.
(d) A complete, self-contained story.
3. What is one of the central teachings of Rumi?
(a) The search for eternal youth.
(b) The elimination of sin.
(c) The cultivation of love.
(d) The desire for power.
4. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, when a city is taken by siege, what happens to one of the invaders?
(a) Is taken prisoner immediately.
(b) Becomes a double agent.
(c) Falls in love instantly.
(d) Is tricked and poisoned.
5. In the poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, where several men fall in love with the same woman, her physical beauty is really a representation of what?
(a) The passage of time.
(b) False hope.
(c) Spiritual beauty.
(d) The illusion of happiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What region in Afghanistan did Rumi come from?
2. Who were Rumi's three main friends who inspired much of his poetry?
3. In this book, the term "nafs" refers to what?
4. Why did Rumi's family flee the place of his birth?
5. After reading Rumi's poems, Coleman Barks feels he has been:
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)