|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 1, Islam & Christianity in the Middle East.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story of three fish that possess some measure of intelligence, found in Book 2, Chapter 1, who do the fish face?
(a) A hungry crocodile.
(b) Three insects.
(c) Human fishermen.
(d) Bigger fish.
2. When speaking of sugar and vinegar, Rumi notes that a spoonful of vinegar:
(a) Loses its potency in several pounds of sugar.
(b) Cannot compare to the sweetness of a spoonful of sugar.
(c) Is more valuable than a pound of sugar.
(d) Destroys a spoonful of sugar.
3. Rumi indicates that people who have blind faith are following this path through what?
(c) Fear and compulsion.
(d) Joy and willpower.
4. At times the character Hallaj can be tender and loving, but other times he can be what?
5. When was Rumi born?
(a) December 15, 1461.
(b) November 26, 1119.
(c) September 30, 1207.
(d) October 20, 1390.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading Rumi's poems, Coleman Barks feels he has been:
2. Rumi lived during a time when brotherhood was expected between:
3. Which of the following best describes the word exoteric?
4. The purpose of Coleman Barks' preambles to Rumi's poems is to:
5. What happens when the Caliph meets a beautiful, mysterious woman from the city his men have invaded, in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)