|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 2, Beginning to the Turn.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Reynold Nicholson?
(a) Religious leader who quoted from Rumi's poems extensively.
(b) Critic who disliked Rumi's work.
(c) Writer who wrote a complete biography about Rumi.
(d) Scholar who attempted to translate some of Rumi's poems.
2. Before responding to the king's command in a poem in Book 1, Chapter 3, what does Ayaz do?
(a) Prays to God for guidance.
(b) Notices how at least thirty other men respond to the command.
(c) Reads at least forty books to learn how others handled the situation.
(d) Consults with the King's daughter.
3. In the poem in Chapter 2, Book 2, about the king who loves the girl, what is Rumi's message about real love?
(a) In rare cases, infatuation is equivalent to real love.
(b) Real love causes a person to do beautiful things.
(c) Real love depends on more than just physical beauty.
(d) Infatuation will do until real love is discovered.
4. What is a Caliph?
5. In a poem entitled "Rough Metaphors," Rumi asserts that a lover's reverence is often sheltered in:
Short Answer Questions
1. A recurring theme prominent in Book 2, Chapter 2, is what?
2. What happens to the second son who tries to woo a Chinese princess in one of Rumi's poems in Chapter 2, Book 2?
3. In the end, where does the Caliph of a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 send the mysterious, beautiful woman from the city his men have invaded?
4. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 3 involving a complicated love triangle consisting of a man and two women, Rumi explores what subjects?
5. Rumi indicates that people who have blind faith are following this path through what?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)