|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 2, Beginning to the Turn.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the folklore, Coleman Barks presents to introduce the poems of Chapter 2, Book 2, he writes about three men who teach others by:
(a) Living in a cave.
(b) Running through fields of sharp rocks.
(c) Laughing in the marketplace.
(d) Swimming with sharks.
2. When the animal soul Rumi writes about is in proper balance, it:
(a) Brings about defeat.
(b) Endangers the human.
(d) Supports the human.
3. In one of the poems in Chapter 2, Book 2, when the oldest son decides to romantically pursue a Chinese princess, what happens to him?
(a) He's imprisoned.
(b) He's killed by someone.
(c) He's captured and never seen again.
(d) He's forced to marry her sister instead.
4. According to a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, what happens when you put pond water into a larger body of water?
(a) The original water disappears.
(b) The pond mourns its loss.
(c) The water molecules are still separate.
(d) The larger body of water is enriched.
5. In addition to being one of his students and his scribe, Husam Chelebi was Rumi's:
(a) Illegitimate son.
(b) Personal companion.
(c) Devoted house servant.
(d) Primary rival.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem in Chapter 2, Book 2, what does the king discover about himself after the girl he loves receives medical attention?
2. In some of his poems, Rumi refers to religious figures:
3. Compared to his older brothers, the youngest son who is interested in a Chinese princess in Chapter 2, Book 2 is:
4. Who is Reynold Nicholson?
5. During his lifetime, Rumi was revered for his attitude of religious tolerance and:
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)