|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 2, Beginning to the Turn.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What prominent themes are found in much of Rumi's work?
(a) Marriage and divorce.
(b) Hate and separation.
(c) Love and unity.
(d) Travel and loss.
2. During his lifetime, Rumi was revered for his attitude of religious tolerance and:
(c) Brutal honesty.
3. In one of the poems in Chapter 2, Book 2, a king falls in love with a girl and decides to do what?
(a) Step down from the throne.
(b) Give her a house.
(c) Offer her a job.
(d) Kidnap her.
4. What elevates Rumi's poems beyond a simple collection of ideas?
(a) Confounding words.
(b) Rich imagery.
(c) His use of diagrams.
(d) His references to other cultures.
5. In the poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, where several men fall in love with the same woman, her physical beauty is really a representation of what?
(a) The illusion of happiness.
(b) Spiritual beauty.
(c) False hope.
(d) The passage of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem in Chapter 2, Book 2, about the king who loves the girl, what is Rumi's message about real love?
2. Rumi speaks of two distinct types of intelligence. One is cultivated from books and the other is what?
3. In each of the love triangles presented in Chapter 2, Book 2, the woman's behavior:
4. What is the Mathnawi?
5. In the poems about an unlikely friendship between two different animals, one of them being a frog, these two animals have very different what?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)