|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 2, Beginning to the Turn.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the animal soul Rumi writes about is in proper balance, it:
(a) Brings about defeat.
(b) Endangers the human.
(c) Supports the human.
2. Rumi's short-story poems range from less than fifty lines to approximately what length?
(a) Two thousand lines.
(b) A hundred twenty lines.
(c) Two hundred lines.
(d) Ten thousand lines.
3. Most of Rumi's poems presented in this book exhibit what form?
(a) Light free verse.
(b) Formal repeating pattern.
(c) Rhyming verse.
(d) Strict syllable counts.
4. Many of Rumi's poems are so personal that they help readers reconnect to what?
(a) Their emotional centers.
(b) Their analytical sides.
(c) Childhood notions.
(d) Practical ideas.
5. What is the "animal soul" that Rumi writes about?
(a) The spirit found within animals.
(b) The guardian of the animal kingdom.
(c) A concept that only young children comprehend.
(d) The wilder, more instinctive part of a person.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, several men invade a city because they are driven by what?
2. In the poem in Book 1, Chapter 2, where several men fall in love with the same woman, her physical beauty is really a representation of what?
3. In some of his poems, Rumi refers to religious figures:
4. In many of Rumi's poems, not only in Book 1, Chapter 2, but throughout the whole book, his distinction between "me" and "you" is what?
5. Which of the following best describes the word exoteric?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)