|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, Solomon Poems : Chapter 2, Beginning to the Turn.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 about a man who accidentally soils himself includes lessons on which of the following?
(a) Release from shame.
(c) Strength and power.
2. Rumi expresses himself in a way that is what?
(a) Repulsively simple.
(b) Emotionally integrated.
(c) Mentally challenging.
(d) Spiritually vague.
3. In the poem "Meadowsounds," Rumi devotes two lines to:
4. One of the key attributes of the character Ayaz is what?
(a) A tendency to lie.
(c) A fear of nearly everything.
5. In the folklore, Coleman Barks presents to introduce the poems of Chapter 2, Book 2, he writes about three men who teach others by:
(a) Laughing in the marketplace.
(b) Living in a cave.
(c) Running through fields of sharp rocks.
(d) Swimming with sharks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prominent themes are found in much of Rumi's work?
2. In the end, where does the Caliph of a poem in Book 1, Chapter 2 send the mysterious, beautiful woman from the city his men have invaded?
3. Themes that run through the love stories found at the beginning of Chapter 2, Book 2, include:
4. In many of Rumi's poems, not only in Book 1, Chapter 2, but throughout the whole book, his distinction between "me" and "you" is what?
5. In the second love story in Chapter 2, Book 2, the three sons end up affected by their reactions to what?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)