Book 1, The Tavern : Chapter 1, Introduction & The Tavern through to Feeling Separation
• "The Essential Rumi" has multiple introductions, including one for the New Expanded Edition published in 1995.
• Scholar Coleman Barks has translated much of Rumi's work, as well as 81 poems included in this book that have never before appeared in English.
• Barks began translating Rumi in 1976 and has devoted himself to translating and understanding the poet's work ever since.
• Over time, Barks' feelings about the messages found within the poems have changed.
• Part of the scholar's experience as a translator of Rumi's poetry is transcendental.
• Rumi was a mystic Persian poet who lived during the 13th century AD.
• The poet was a sheik, teacher, religious leader, and scholar.
• It is challenging to accurately translate such advanced works that come from another culture and an era so far in the past.
• Rumi was born in 1207 in a region of what...
This section contains 1,921 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)