|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator suggest the reader do to understand how the Baudelaire orphans feel climbing the staircase without light?
2. How many floors down is it from the Squalor's penthouse apartment to the bottom floor?
3. According to the narrator, what does a nefarious disguise mean?
4. Who does Violet tell the Squalors is Gunther's true identity?
5. According to Mr. Squalor, what is one thing the children can do to save breath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale to the Baudelaire's search for Gunther in the penthouse?
2. How does the atmosphere on Dark Avenue mirror the orphans' feelings in Chapter 1?
3. What is the importance of the Baudelaire orphans' friends being named Quagmire?
4. What is the significance of the doorman telling the Baudelaire children and Jerome they can't go up to the penthouse until Gunther comes down?
5. Why don't Esme and Jerome Squalor believe the children that Gunther is really Count Olaf?
6. What does the pinstripe suits being too big illustrate about Esme Squalor?
7. Why does the narrator compare the Baudelaire children's experience at the Squalor's house as a mixed bag?
8. What is the importance of the doorman's strange clothing?
9. What is ironic about Mr. Poe telling the children about the staircase, "it's all uphill from here"?
10. What is the significance of the trees that once made Dark Avenue "dark" being cut down once "light" is in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses idioms throughout the novel via the narrator. What purpose does the use of idioms serve to the overall storyline of "The Ersatz Elevator"? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How does the author's use of puns develop the characterization of the narrator? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use personification throughout the novel? Describe instances of personification and whether the use of personification is effective to the overall plot of the story.
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)