|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is strange about the winner of the large red herring statue?
(a) It's a small child.
(b) It's Mr. Poe.
(c) It's the doorman.
(d) It's Gunther.
2. What does Esme make the Baudelaires carry up to their penthouse apartment?
(a) Parsley soda.
(b) Yellow paperclips.
3. What does Esme say at the In Auction that surprises Jerome?
(a) That she had makes enough money.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) That she wants to adopt the children.
(d) That she loves the children.
4. After Esme pushes the Up button for the ersatz elevator, what do the Baudelaires discover in the middle of the elevator shaft?
(b) The Quagmires.
(c) A net.
(d) A cage.
5. Which direction does Klaus suggest the Baudelaires climb to get out of the elevator shaft?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Klaus believe the passageway has placed them under?
2. According to Violet, what is the devil's tongue?
3. Where does Violet tell her siblings to meet her once they reach the top of the ersatz rope?
4. Who is a friend of the Baudelaires standing with Jerome at the In Auction?
5. What do the children hear over their heads as they stumble around the passageway in the dark?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unique and strangely sad about the Squalor library?
2. During the Baudelaires' climb back up to the penthouse, they are encased in darkness. What is symbolic about their climb in the shadowy dark?
3. What is odd about the doorman making bids at the In Auction?
4. What does Klaus mean when he tells Violet the time wasn't ripe for her invention?
5. Why is moving down the ersatz rope more difficult the second time for the Baudelaires?
6. How does Klaus convince Jerome to help them find the Quagmires without him knowing?
7. What is the meaning of the red herring statue which is in Lot #48?
8. What is revealed about Esme Squalor in Chapter 10?
9. What is Count Olaf's plan to move Quagmires out of the city and to get his hands on their sapphires?
10. Why does Esme continue to insist that Gunther left the penthouse apartment?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)