|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Quagmires believe the Baudelaires to be at first?
(a) Three ghosts.
(b) Hallucination and a phantasm.
(c) A nightmare.
(d) A funny vision.
2. What do the children hear over their heads as they stumble around the passageway in the dark?
(a) Esme's laughter.
(c) The Quagmires' cries.
3. What does Violet ask the man who is standing outside the trapdoor?
(a) For him to move out of the sunlight.
(b) For his name.
(c) If she could borrow his cell phone.
(d) For directions to Veblen Hall.
4. According to Klaus, what does ersatz mean?
(a) A fancy word for elevator.
(b) One thing pretending to be another.
(c) A synonym for elegant.
(d) A elevator shaft in Spanish.
5. Who caters the In Auction's food?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) Café Salmonella.
(c) The Stationary District.
(d) The Fish District.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Violet decide to hide the ersatz rope?
2. What does the man in the sunglasses tell the Baudelaire children at the In Auction?
3. What is the doorman's real job?
4. What kind of soda is suddenly "in"?
5. After the first series of curves, what do the children hear above their heads?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the children realize about Jerome Squalor as they reach the Veblen Hall and are confronted with Gunther?
2. Why is moving down the ersatz rope more difficult the second time for the Baudelaires?
3. What is Count Olaf's plan to move Quagmires out of the city and to get his hands on their sapphires?
4. What is odd about the doorman making bids at the In Auction?
5. What is the meaning of the red herring statue which is in Lot #48?
6. What is unique and strangely sad about the Squalor library?
7. What is significant about the fact that the Baudelaire children have been in the darkness for so long their eyes take a long time to get used to the light?
8. In what condition are the Quagmires discovered? What is the most important aspect of their condition?
9. What happens to Sunny's character during Chapter 10?
10. What is symbolic about Klaus's declaration that they had reached a "dead end" at the end of the passageway?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)