|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, what do the Baudelaires feel as they climb the ersatz rope back to the penthouse?
(a) As if their whole life has been spent in the pit.
(b) As if their whole life has been spent with Olaf.
(c) As if their whole life has been spent happily but flawed.
(d) As if their whole life has been spent in misery.
2. What does Violet say when she reaches the bottom of the ersatz rope a second time?
(a) We're here to save you!
(b) They're gone!
(c) I'm back!
(d) Here we are!
3. What do the Baudelaires discover at the end of their chain of ties, curtain pulls, and extension cords?
(a) Esme's pet.
(c) A cage of snakes.
(d) The Quagmires.
4. Why can't the Baudelaires climb out of the elevator shaft initially?
(a) The walls are too smooth.
(b) Esme tells them not to do it.
(c) The walls are greased with oil.
(d) They are far away from the walls.
5. What does Violet tell her siblings she wants them to search the penthouse for?
(d) Long, slender iron objects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about the winner of the large red herring statue?
2. Where does Violet decide to hide the ersatz rope?
3. What does Sunny suggest they do to escape from the elevator shaft?
4. What is the doorman's real job?
5. While in the tiny room at the end of the ersatz rope, what does Klaus do when he sees Violet become upset?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways are the Baudelaire children's skills handy and useful in Chapter 7?
2. What is significant about the fact that the Baudelaire children have been in the darkness for so long their eyes take a long time to get used to the light?
3. What happens to Sunny's character during Chapter 10?
4. What is symbolic about the Baudelaire children rising up from the ashes?
5. What is Count Olaf's plan to move Quagmires out of the city and to get his hands on their sapphires?
6. How does Violet plan to rescue the Quagmires from their cage?
7. The gentleman at the Baudelaire mansion fire claims that the site is haunted. What is the significance of him calling the Baudelaire ghosts?
8. Why is moving down the ersatz rope more difficult the second time for the Baudelaires?
9. In what condition are the Quagmires discovered? What is the most important aspect of their condition?
10. What is the importance of the doorman winning the big, red scarlet fish statue?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)