|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Squalor want to adopt the children?
(a) Because her husband suggested it.
(b) Because she feels bad for them.
(c) Because orphans are in.
(d) Because she loves kids.
2. What is Klaus's favorite place to visit in the city?
(a) The war memorial.
(b) Akhmatova Bookstore.
(c) Verne Invention Museum.
(d) The museum of art.
3. Which of the Baudelaire orphans wear glasses?
4. What kind of dessert do the children have at Café Salmonella?
(a) Chocolate ice cream sundaes.
(b) Apple pie with vanilla ice cream.
(c) Salmon pie with a scoop of salmon ice cream.
5. Who is the oldest of the Baudelaire orphans?
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, what two words does the narrator say the book will show the difference between?
2. According to the narrator, what is an alternative meaning of 'mixed bag"?
3. With whom does Esme have to meet early in the morning when she sends Jerome to get parsley soda?
4. In Chapter 1, what does the narrator suggest the reader do instead of reading this book?
5. Why does the narrator state the dictionary is more pleasant than reading this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the doorman's comments that all problems have a solution, and the solution is sometimes under the nose?
2. What role does the scene at Café Salmonella play in the overall plot of the story?
3. Why are the references to the King of Arizona important to the story?
4. Why does Esme reject her husband's idea to give the In Auction money to a good cause?
5. Why does Violet stop arguing with Esme about Gunther's true identity?
6. What is the importance of the Baudelaire orphans' friends being named Quagmire?
7. Why is it important to know that Jerome Squalor could have adopted the Baudelaire children earlier but did not because orphans were not "in"?
8. What is the significance of the Hansel and Gretel fairy tale to the Baudelaire's search for Gunther in the penthouse?
9. Why do the Baudelaire children lie about whether they are interested in or enjoy their presents from Esme?
10. Why does Esme act strangely when Klaus asks her if Gunther took the elevator down from the penthouse?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)