|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the narrator, which of the two elements he mentions is a gas?
2. What is the one thing Violet cannot find in her bedroom at the Squalor's penthouse apartment?
(d) Video games.
3. Whom does Klaus think they should all look for, once the Squalors leave them for the day?
(a) Mr. Squalor.
(b) Mr. Poe.
(c) Mrs. Squalor.
(d) The Doorman.
4. What kind of dessert do the children have at Café Salmonella?
(a) Salmon pie with a scoop of salmon ice cream.
(b) Chocolate ice cream sundaes.
(c) Apple pie with vanilla ice cream.
5. According to the narrator, what does a nefarious disguise mean?
(a) A phrase that means the disguise is stylish and in.
(b) A phrase that means she does not fool them one bit, no matter what she is wearing.
(c) A phrase that means ugly.
(d) A phrase that means he does not fool them one bit, no matter what he is wearing.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what is one good part of the Baudelaires' living with the Squalors?
2. At the end of Chapter 4, how do the Baudelaire children feel about their situation?
3. Toward the end of chapter two, what does Esme find out from a phone call is suddenly "in."
4. Why does the narrator state the dictionary is more pleasant than reading this book?
5. According to Esme, what is illegal to auction off?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Mr. Poe telling the children about the staircase, "it's all uphill from here"?
2. Why doesn't Jerome continue to stand up for the children against Esme when he obviously notices they are alarmed at Gunther's appearance?
3. Why does Violet stop arguing with Esme about Gunther's true identity?
4. What is revealed about Esme when she comments that orphans are so "in" they ought to be in the In Auction?
5. What is the significance of the trees that once made Dark Avenue "dark" being cut down once "light" is in?
6. How does the author illustrate the differences between Esme and Jerome Squalor?
7. What is revealed about Esme's character when she says, "Quickly, before anybody sees that this apartment is still dark!"
8. What is the importance of the Baudelaire orphans' friends being named Quagmire?
9. Why does Esme act strangely when Klaus asks her if Gunther took the elevator down from the penthouse?
10. Why does Esme reject her husband's idea to give the In Auction money to a good cause?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)