|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Klaus, what does ersatz mean?
(a) A fancy word for elevator.
(b) A elevator shaft in Spanish.
(c) A synonym for elegant.
(d) One thing pretending to be another.
2. When the Baudelaires arrive at the In Auction, what lot are the people bidding on?
(a) Lot #50.
(b) Lot #46.
(c) Lot #49.
(d) Lot #5.
3. Where does Violet tell her siblings to meet her once they reach the top of the ersatz rope?
(a) The library.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) Her bedroom.
(d) The elevator shaft.
4. What do the children hear over their heads as they stumble around the passageway in the dark?
(a) Esme's laughter.
(d) The Quagmires' cries.
5. After the first series of curves, what do the children hear above their heads?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(d) The doorman.
6. When the Baudelaires reach the end of the corridor, what sounds do they hear?
(b) A trolley.
(c) Fish music.
(d) Clopping horses.
7. What is everyone at the In Auction wearing?
(c) Salmon costumes.
(d) Regular clothes.
8. Who do the Baudelaires tell about the V.F.D. after their discovery in the In Auction catalog?
(a) The doorman.
(c) Mr. Poe.
9. What does Violet tell the Quagmires after examining the lock on their cage?
(a) She needs Sunny to bite through it.
(b) She needs to invent something to rescue them.
(c) She needs Klaus to read the directions.
(d) She needs them to be quiet.
10. What does Esme make the Baudelaires carry up to their penthouse apartment?
(c) Parsley soda.
(d) Yellow paperclips.
11. Where does Violet decide to hide the ersatz rope?
(a) Under her bed.
(b) Under Sunny's bed.
(c) Under her pillow.
(d) In Klaus's books.
12. According to the narrator, what do the Baudelaires feel as they climb the ersatz rope back to the penthouse?
(a) As if their whole life has been spent with Olaf.
(b) As if their whole life has been spent happily but flawed.
(c) As if their whole life has been spent in the pit.
(d) As if their whole life has been spent in misery.
13. What does Duncan Quagmire have in his notebook?
(a) Information about Olaf's plans.
(b) A poem for Violet.
(c) Drawings of Count Olaf.
(d) Notes on plants.
14. What do the Baudelaires do to the ceiling once they reach the dead end?
(a) Attach ersatz lighting so they can see.
(b) Bang on it with their hands.
(c) Use an ax to tear it down.
(d) Bang on it with their fire tongs.
15. What is the title of Lot #50 of the In Auction?
(a) A crate.
(b) A piano.
(c) A large globe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the Baudelaires are successful with opening the trapdoor, where does the corridor end up?
2. What kind of soda is suddenly "in"?
3. While in the tiny room at the end of the ersatz rope, what does Klaus do when he sees Violet become upset?
4. While waiting for the Squalors to return from getting soda, what does Klaus do when someone talks to him?
5. What does Esme say at the In Auction that surprises Jerome?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)