|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sunny suggest they do to escape from the elevator shaft?
(a) That they use the net to escape.
(b) That she use her teeth to climb up.
(c) That they drop down to the bottom.
(d) That they call for help.
2. What does Klaus say about myths?
(a) They're helpful.
(b) They're fun.
(c) They're boring.
(d) They're entertaining but not very helpful.
3. While waiting for the Squalors to return from getting soda, what does Klaus do when someone talks to him?
(a) Stares blankly.
(b) Ignores them.
4. According to the narrator, what is a good thing to do when one is sitting, eating, and resting?
(b) Talk with your mouth open.
(c) Throw food.
(d) Have a conversation.
5. What does Duncan try to tell Violet in his notebook?
(a) His drawings.
(b) About the V.F.D.
(c) His poem about her.
(d) His notes on Olaf.
6. What does Isadora Quagmire have in her notebook?
(a) Notes on plants.
(b) Poems about Olaf's plans.
(c) A poem for Violet.
(d) Drawings of Count Olaf.
7. What does Violet tell the Quagmires after examining the lock on their cage?
(a) She needs to invent something to rescue them.
(b) She needs them to be quiet.
(c) She needs Klaus to read the directions.
(d) She needs Sunny to bite through it.
8. Where does Violet decide to hide the ersatz rope?
(a) Under Sunny's bed.
(b) Under her bed.
(c) In Klaus's books.
(d) Under her pillow.
9. Why is the climb up the ersatz rope less scary than going down it for the Baudelaire children?
(a) They know what awaits at the top of the rope.
(b) They know their friends are safe.
(c) They know how to climb the ersatz rope.
(d) They know Jerome would help them.
10. What does Esme yell down to the children after they decide they are okay?
(a) That they're not okay.
(b) That she would miss them.
(c) That orphans are no longer "in."
(d) That she's glad to be done with them.
11. Which direction does Klaus suggest the Baudelaires climb to get out of the elevator shaft?
12. When the Baudelaires reach the end of the corridor, what sounds do they hear?
(a) Fish music.
(c) A trolley.
(d) Clopping horses.
13. Once the Baudelaires are successful with opening the trapdoor, where does the corridor end up?
(a) The Fish District.
(b) Veblen Hall.
(c) The Stationary District.
(d) The spot where their house burned.
14. While comforting Violet in the hidden room at the end of the ersatz elevator, what does Klaus say the time is ripe for?
(a) To call the cops.
(b) His researching skills.
(c) To tell the Squalors.
(d) To call Mr. Poe.
15. What does the man in the sunglasses tell the Baudelaire children at the In Auction?
(a) He likes their outfits.
(b) Orphans aren't "in."
(c) They have to leave because they don't belong there.
(d) They need to take a bath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Esme make the Baudelaires carry up to their penthouse apartment?
2. At the In Auction, who does Klaus try to convince that Gunther is Count Olaf in disguise?
3. What does Gunther leave that contains information the Baudelaires can use to stop him?
4. What does Klaus mean he says "The time isn't ripe for your invention"?
5. What condition do the Baudelaires find the Quagmires?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)