|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While waiting for the Squalors to return from getting soda, what does Klaus do when someone talks to him?
(a) Ignores them.
(b) Stares blankly.
2. What is the title of Lot #50 of the In Auction?
(a) A large globe.
(b) A piano.
(d) A crate.
3. What does Duncan try to tell Violet in his notebook?
(a) His poem about her.
(b) His drawings.
(c) His notes on Olaf.
(d) About the V.F.D.
4. While in the tiny room at the end of the ersatz rope, what does Klaus do when he sees Violet become upset?
(a) Hug her.
(b) Pick up Sunny.
(d) Talk to her.
5. When the Baudelaires arrive at the In Auction, what lot are the people bidding on?
(a) Lot #50.
(b) Lot #46.
(c) Lot #5.
(d) Lot #49.
6. What sinister surprise do the Baudelaires discover at the end of the ersatz rope after the second climb down?
(a) Esme Squalor is there.
(b) The Quagmires are gone.
(c) Mr. Poe is in the cage.
(d) Count Olaf is waiting.
7. Who caters the In Auction's food?
(a) Mr. Poe.
(b) The Fish District.
(c) Café Salmonella.
(d) The Stationary District.
8. Why is the mailman afraid of the Baudelaire children?
(a) He thinks they are with Count Olaf.
(b) He thinks they are ghosts and will hurt him.
(c) He thinks they are monsters and will hurt him.
(d) He thinks they are thieves.
9. What does Sunny suggest they do to escape from the elevator shaft?
(a) That she use her teeth to climb up.
(b) That they call for help.
(c) That they drop down to the bottom.
(d) That they use the net to escape.
10. What condition do the Baudelaires find the Quagmires?
(a) Filthy and haunted.
11. According to the narrator, what are idiosyncrasies?
(a) A fancy word for what is "in."
(b) A fancy word for unique habits.
(c) A fancy word for troublemakers.
(d) A fancy word for dogs.
12. What do the children hear over their heads as they stumble around the passageway in the dark?
(a) Esme's laughter.
(d) The Quagmires' cries.
13. What is disconcerting about Esme's behavior after they exit the penthouse apartment?
(a) Her arm is wrapped so tight around them that they couldn't move.
(b) Her arm is wrapped loosely around them.
(c) She speaks kindly to them.
(d) She hugs each child.
14. Where does Violet decide to hide the ersatz rope?
(a) Under her bed.
(b) Under her pillow.
(c) Under Sunny's bed.
(d) In Klaus's books.
15. What does Violet find on her extra fluffy pillow when she returns to her room?
(a) A chocolate.
(b) A note from Jerome.
(c) Esme's note.
(d) A tool.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, what do the Baudelaires feel as they climb the ersatz rope back to the penthouse?
2. What does the man in the sunglasses tell the Baudelaire children at the In Auction?
3. What does Esme make the Baudelaires carry up to their penthouse apartment?
4. Why is the climb up the ersatz rope less scary than going down it for the Baudelaire children?
5. What do the Baudelaires do to the ceiling once they reach the dead end?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)